2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 05-11-2020, 06:41 AM

Ok, now I did grant everyone a one time covid exemption. I'm still waiting for my order from equilter to arrive, I did get the it shipped notice. That's just my basic black and white, and then some white on white polka dots so I can finish the Cherry Goose back.

I said after that, that I would be scolding. So here we go: Let's just buy the least we can.

Rff1010, I would have had to have the fat quarters as well -- I mean, they practically were paying you to take them!
Old 05-11-2020, 06:51 AM

Iceb, you can scold all you want, I am in the "Life is short" phase of my life, and if I want something I will get it. Let my survivors worry about what to do with it all. LOL
Old 05-11-2020, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Good morning...my big fall has been donated fabrics, having received 2 batches of second hand bags of some smalls. I'm being more critical of what I save. A lot of the last 2 bags will be passed on yet again. I know I just can't use it all and it prevents me from using my beautiful, pretty fabrics. So whether we buy it or accept it, stay strong everyone and replace as we need.

juliasb, I could step into your space and become confused thinking it's my space
Old 05-11-2020, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I have been trying so hard to stay on the wagon but have fallen off twice so far. I am using fabrics from my stash everyday and making great progress too. Even with mask, which have actually been a great way to use my stash. The quilt top I just finished, the Drunkard's Path came from my stash too. I then cut a bunch of 5" squares to make another Depression Block quilt. That is always fun to make. I have fabrics everywhere in my studio right now because I will pull a piece from the depth of the shelf and of course other pieces come with it. So now pieces everywhere! Have no fear they will get used. I keep getting more and more orders for mask so those pulled out pieces will be put to use quickly.
Never heard of a Depression Block before ('cause, I'm ) so I looked it up. What a great stash buster! I might keep it in mind for my collection of 4.5 HSTs that I make from scrap fabric.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-11-2020 at 06:05 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-11-2020, 08:34 AM

petthefabric, congratulations on finishing the pillowcases!

Everyone's doing great on their stash reduction. I've been doing some 'shopping' on-line: I put stuff in my cart and then copy the cart and save it as an email draft. It's almost as good as buying it, lol.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:11 PM

I did some shopping for backing for two quilts that were made from stash fabric. Just nothing big enough for the back. I don't call that "falling off the wagon". I call it finishing a quilt made from my stash. If I don't buy the back then the quilt will go into the UFO basket and I don't need that either! Tee-Hee-Hee Happy stash diminishing, everyone.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:52 AM

My shipment from equilter came in yesterday. I have to admit, getting fabric in the mail is one of the better things that can happen in life...

I think I'm going to be happy with these American Made Brand solid cottons. Slightly "silkier" feel maybe than the Kona, after its out of the dryer I'll do another comparison. But so far so good.

Then it's using the white on white dot to finish the Cherry Goose back and that can be stacked neatly and out of the way once again.

I got out my Barn quilt project the other day. It's been the paper piecing holding me back, if I had the Bernina back from the shop I'd probably be working on it. Think I mentioned that my replacement vintage foot pedal started making an alarming crackling sound? No smoke but I pulled the plug out of the wall and got the machine out from all that fabric. So I'm back to the cheapo Brother which really doesn't have a way to change the stitch length... and it's way too long for the paper piecing.

Still have the Bunny Star to finish putting together, but starting to plan my "next" project.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:58 AM

So here's the finished back for the Cherry Goose project, you can see that I needed quite a bit of the white polka dot -- I just had nothing suitable in stash. The cherry print was from the Walmart $1/yard sale. I have one piece left from that buy in stash (bright fun thin stripes), and a back for another project but otherwise accounted for! The smaller piece of the dot is on inside out. Darn it! I've never had to put in a deliberate mistake in any project I've ever made. I thought I was being careful... but I'm leaving it as is.

The second shot is it folded in quarters before I fold it for storage. The red square is the binding, I'm currently doing the "don't press first" method of binding. Not a solid convert, rather like that nice crisp pressed edge for storage, but it is easier/lazier and my results are just fine so that counts for something.
Attached Thumbnails 100_5740.jpg   100_5743.jpg  
Old 05-13-2020, 05:23 AM

Cool back, Iceblossom!

I put a box that had 90 fat quarters (blenders) into my Craftsy basket and with the 60% off that they were doing for members it was only $112 and free shipping. Then I looked at the drawer unit Where I store fat quarters and deleted the box from my cart. It’s amazing how looking at your storage space before pressing the “complete purchase” button can put the brakes on that impulse buy.

Rob
Old 05-13-2020, 06:05 AM

Such willpower, Rob! I tend to put things in my cart & leave the site. Usually I forget it's in there, so no buying.
iceblossom, creative use of all your fabrics, as usual. I admire your skills.