2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-06-2020, 04:36 AM

will be in this year too! Love reading all the comments
Old 01-06-2020, 04:58 AM

Jan 6 and already will be hopping off the wagon. My niece has decided on baby room colours.....grey with pink accents. As mentioned I do not have a large stash and virtually no pink....just a pit of grey. If she had only cooperated with a boy.....one of my clearance bin impulse buys was a layer cake perfect for a baby boy! I knew I would need to make a few purchases this year but I was hoping to make it through a couple of months at least!
Old 01-06-2020, 07:10 AM

I am in--again.

Quick Funny: Last year I signed up and immediately purchased 3 backing fabrics 4 days later. Here's to hoping I hold off for at least a month this year!

Conchalea, thanks for starting this one for us!
Old 01-06-2020, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
For those of you who kit quilts, can you share your process. Do you pick a pattern then cut all the pieces, etc?
My process is to decide on a pattern and do all the cutting. What happens next depends on the pattern. Sometimes it makes sense to just stop there and bag the cut pieces with the pattern -- for example, with a big-piece, simple modern pattern that doesn't have traditional blocks. If it is a more complicated quilt I might construct all the units for the blocks and then bag, and sometimes it makes more sense to construct all the blocks and then bag them. Often what will decide me is the size of the finished component. I bag kits in plastic grocery bags and then put 4 or 5 of them in a box, so I want whatever pieces I bag to fit conveniently in that space without getting overly wrinkled. This all started for me a couple of years ago when I decided I didn't have room to store any more completed tops, but at the same time I felt impatient to deal with my stash.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:49 AM

Don't be too hard on yourself, Cattitude. If you buy only enough for your project and turn it around and out, it doesn't count as adding to stash even if you did buy something. Isn't it funny how with all this fabric we have, we always seem to need just one more? Same thing, Motor, if you use them then don't feel guilty.

Wish we were closer or at least in the same country, I'd let you shop my stash for pinks (have quite a bit) and grays -- not so many, they've come out as a fashion color just as I have stopped buying fabric. My next project does use a piece of grey background with small cherry blossoms, but I'm going more graphic with black and yellow.

Not ready to show a picture yet but I think it's rather funny in some ways but I also think it's going to work. I was going through my stash looking to see if I had one particular piece of fabric (I did, but I had turned it into bindiing for another project). And as I was looking for something that had black and yellow and was medium scale, out popped a piece of Minion fabric. I love the Minions (Despicable Me), they just crack me up. My sewing kit is a big Minions lunch box shaped thing. When I see Minion fabric I've picked up a piece or two, but they haven't made it out into too many quilts yet.

So I have a really strange collection of fabric I'm using for this project. One very large scale bold graphic black and yellow and white floral. One soft grey with black branches and yellow and white cherry blossoms, and one large but not really obvious floral of yellow and white and black outlines. Plus Minions! Black and white and yellow. It goes in just fine in terms of scale and colors even if not theme.

It's me trying to be bold and use things from a design sense instead of some "appropriateness" sense. It's the nice thing for me in terms of using up fabric that most of my projects are donations anyway, and at the very least it keeps someone warm. It lets me reach and take chances that I wouldn't take when I'm trying to make the perfect quilt for someone.

Besides, I shall release some of the merry mayhem of the Minions into the world! Mwahaha
Old 01-06-2020, 03:15 PM

Iceblossom, I too love the Minions. I've made some crocheted Minion hats & fingerless gloves.
Today I avoided a jump off the train. I've competed the red, pink, & white top & need a backing. I only went to Joanns, but they had nothing that appealed to me that might go with the top. So, I recalled some off-white fabric I have that I think is large enough. I walked out with no purchases! I will piece some batting for this quilt, & use only stash to complete it.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:20 PM

I had to buy backing for my just completed quilt top. Dang. I thought I had enough on the bolt but not so. Regardless, it should be used up post-haste.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:15 AM

Doing ok so far. One week down Yeah! I did buy fabric for a backing idea for one of my just finished quilt tops. Happy sewing everyone!
Old 01-07-2020, 05:12 PM

I am also in this. I have a lot of stash so I hope this helps me. Thank you for doing this!
Old 01-07-2020, 07:24 PM

I purchased 3/4 yard of soccer fabric today. I made 18 pillowcases for great grandchildren at Christmas. One who is a child of divorce was sad that she had to leave hers at her father's house - couldn't take it to her mother's. Easy fix - she has a b'day soon, so I will make another - just change the cuff and trim color for variety. It's an in and out, so it doesn't count. I'm pleased I went to JoAnn's and bought one piece.