2020 UFO Challenge

Old 12-18-2020, 05:18 PM

Retired, you work with those blocks is beautiful. The colors are so rich and what a nice balance in the whole quilt.

Rob, I am proud of you finishing 12 UFOs. I didn't keep a good tally of how many I have finished but I do have fewer than when we started. Just took on to the a long arm quilter because it is to big for me to wrestle under my machine. I am assuming it will be returned to me between Christmas and New Year's, so I will get one more finish in 2020 for sure and possibly a second. Whoopity Do! I can see 6 more UFO's with out searching hanging in my closet. Just thought of another. Seven to start out the year. That sounds reasonable and doable for 2021. No again, 8! I forgot the unfinished Farmer's Wife. Tee-Hee! Back to one a month I guess for 2021. See you all after the Christmas Holiday or maybe before.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Rob, your butterfly is truly a work of art...fabulous finish.

oksewglad, thank you for the block idea and I totally could relate to your panto issue as that happened to me earlier this year when I was doing a quilt for a friend. 😏

Teen, I am so envious that you completed all your Christmas sewing and UFOs. It must be a wonderful feeling to be able to start a new project...
It’s an awesome feeling and enough motivation for me to finish what I start. The reason I participate in this thread..it keeps me in check!

I finished another quilt top yesterday (WIP) except for borders. Applique & piecing using a FQ bundle I have had for over a year. Took me 2 weeks to make since I was busy in between with Christmas stuff. Now, that felt good to break that FQ open. Ended up using most of it but maybe 4 out of the 36 FQ’s...then cut up the balance in usable sizes. I’ll share a picture when borders are on. It was a blast to make.. Then, I can start the next project...yah!

Merry Christmas, friends! Be safe and we’ll see you on the 2021 thread. Thank you, Conchalea...the 31st sounds good.

Last edited by Teen; 12-18-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

It has been a successful year for many of us, hasn't it? I for one feel that ever time I finish a UFO, I try to change my mindset as i start new projects...finish them instead of letting them linger! May we all inspire to be more like Teen!

Conchalea, thanks for hosting the thread and for stating a new one. Nice to know when to look for the new thread. I hope to get pictures this weekend, so I will be posting before NY's.

Old 12-19-2020, 05:57 PM

Lol@ oksewglad..... I promise you that the feelings associated with start/finish - No UFO’s is an amazing feeling. Kind of like what you feel like when you actually finish a UFO. Awwwww...accomplishment. Another rule for me is not have more then 2 WIP’s going at the same time. That keeps me motivated since I can bounce between the projects for variety. My albatross is pattern collecting. Ugh! So many beautiful quilts I want to make...
Old 12-19-2020, 11:24 PM

Finished 2 last week.
1) Susannah quilt block. It was supposed to be for my nephew. But the final product was SO NOT a 19 yr boy. I chose some lovely soft browns, earthy greens rust and a viney leafy print that tied everything together. Final product was spectacular - but not a young man's quilt. I gave it to a friend at work who has been a stable and constant support during Covid. (Sometimes I felt like the world was falling apart - which it is!- but she would talk me off the ledge). She was so happy she cried. I know it will have a happy and appreciated home with her.
2) most definitely not a UFO - but I awoke from a dream over Thanksgiving weekend with an idea for a quilt for some friends. Some strips - boom. Top done. Quilted w simple curved lines that added such delicious movement. Can't get over how much I like that simple quilting on the simple quilt. I'm really having a love affair with my walking foot.

I like the pattern so much I'm going to raid stash for more big prints and supporting players in the new year and make some Project Linus.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:32 PM

Default A finish after a long absence

Its been since March since I have posted. Sorry for the long absence, I have been faithfully reading the posts and have been enjoying reading everyone's success. I do have finally have a finish that I became a UFO this year.

To use Oksewglad and Quossom's format, this is my finish.

The Quilt - I'm going with the original name of the pattern by Brenda Plaster Tumbling Jacks the original post is here https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...lt-t311629.htm way back on 7/4/20. At that time I was just finishing up my treatments.

Why it became a UFO Back March when I kind of disappeared from the internet I was diagnosed with stage 1B breast cancer the day before our 39th anniversary on March 21. I started my chemo on April 2nd and for the next 4 months I was getting treatments every 3 weeks. We also had Covid-19 happening at the same time, fortunately DH was still working and we had awesome insurance. My energy was low and the idea of trying to sew or anything that required thought was out of the question. I had finished the top back in February I think and sent it to Brenda for quilting. She returned it to me and it has sat folded up in the sewing room. since. Connecting Threads finally posted the pattern and I was able to show it in July but it did not have the binding.

Why I finished it and it's fate, I have finished all my treatments, the surgery and follow up radiation and am starting to feel almost normal so just before Thanksgiving I cut the binding and attached it to the quilt. I have been stitching it down in the evenings. I did it to celebrate the ending of my treatments and the fact that the doctors have said that they can't find any cancer and I am a Survivor! During this time when I felt well enough we would go to WI and spend time at a neighbors cabin. Neighbor in WI that is, we purchased property outside of Ladysmith WI and DH has been clearing trees to get ready for our cabin and future retirement house. This quilt is for our cabin, with luck will be up in 6 months!
Attached Thumbnails dsci4114cqb.jpg   dsci4175cqb.jpg  

Last edited by Dedemac; 12-20-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:38 PM

The correct link
Tumbling Jacks Quilt
Old 12-20-2020, 06:48 PM

Dedemac....your quilt is so beautiful! Congratulations on conquering BC and are well on your way to many more anniversaries! So happy for you and the wonderful plans you have for retirement!. Good to hear from you!
Old 12-20-2020, 07:09 PM

Dedemac: Congratulations for both - being a survivor and making a gorgeous quilt!
Old 12-20-2020, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

Ah lovely, dedemac; will look great in your new home! Congratulations on surviving cancer.