Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-03-2022, 02:07 PM

I finally got everything in my sewing space reorganized at least to the point that I could plug in the machines and do some sewing. Only got two of the blocks done so far, and probably won't finish by Friday. But hopefully I can catch up on the next one.

Was going to attach a photo, but that's been hit or miss lately - this time it's a miss. Maybe I'll try again when I get more done.
Old 01-04-2022, 06:01 AM

OK, I finally finished cutting up everything for Clues 1-6! Wow! what a pile of tiny pieces! Now, I will see how many of the clues I can get stitched up by this Friday! Already, I keep finding little cranberry triangles all over the house and my little cairn terrier seems to like to wear the scraps on his nose. (umm, is that a hint to get the vaccum out?)
Old 01-04-2022, 06:54 AM

I am loving everyone’s photos but seem to be moving really slowly through clue 5. I now have almost half the sets completed. I may pull out the fabric for clue 6 and put some blocks together today so I can see what mine are going to look like.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Mumto2- this clue is quite labor intensive (can't think of the word I'm looking for but this will do.) I've been pinning my units while watching movies at night and then I sew them during the day. We make 30 or 31. That's a lot. I think your having half done is great!
Old 01-04-2022, 07:25 AM

JanieW - l *love* your green hourglass blocks - the contrast with the other lighter colors is very attractive.

In one of Jinny Beyer's books, she wrote about her approach to color/fabric selection and suggested always trying to include some of a very dark fabric that reads as a solid at a distance. Having a strong dark makes all the light and medium fabrics sparkle with the contrast. Your green is not *super* dark, but it's dark enough to make those lighter fabrics look even prettier than they do on their own. Good choice, even if's by accident or necessity.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:42 AM

Tell you what, nothing to motivate you to close yourself in a separate room and sew as a germy husband! I was calling it Kisses -- Keeping Isolated Sewing Solo.

We are coming to end of the clues, I think most people finish up somewhere by Valentine's Day if it is going to get done at all. Last year I dropped out early but even got the top quilted down -- that getting quilted down is a very rare thing.

I've being giving myself some slack and free time until the end of the year, but now that it's 2022 it's time for me to move. It's planned and wanted but a lot of work to do in the next couple of months.

It's been an interesting way to live knowing that this was my last Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas -- or Bonnie Hunter quilt in this house. I'm enjoying working on this project but once the top is together then it will be time to pack up the sewing room. I'm hoping to be set up again in a new location in time to join in next year, that might be my first project in the new house.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Mumto2- this clue is quite labor intensive (can't think of the word I'm looking for but this will do.) I've been pinning my units while watching movies at night and then I sew them during the day. We make 30 or 31. That's a lot. I think your having half done is great!
I agree that it is labor intensive. I too am pining each seam, particularly the intersections. But the results are worth it!
Old 01-04-2022, 11:04 AM

Good Luck with your move Iceblossom! From my recent packing up for new carpet, I learned. Do the sewing room last. I missed my stress relieving sewing. I tried to lead by example and pack my stuff first, ended up packing everyone else's stuff too. Should have started with their stuff. It's alot of stuff.

I am slowly moving thru step 6. It's oh so fun to see the blocks appear and I'm glad to join those sets of 4. Carry on everybody! Happy Sewing.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:21 PM

I have finished my “glass half full” version of Clue 6. I had to re-do one center because a pink decided it should be a garnet!

I love the soft palette but it makes me think that my aqua (more like a turquoise/teal) is wrong, wrong, wrong. But I will try to withhold judgment until we see what our fearless leader has in mind for that aqua.
Attached Thumbnails img_1374.jpeg   img_1375.jpeg  
Old 01-04-2022, 01:14 PM

Ooooh! SuzSLO, love your blocks. Lovely combinations. Right now that aqua is looking a bit strong, but I think when it is cut down and mixed with the hourglass and goose units we have that it will be distinctive and easy to follow but not quite so dramatic as a full block.

In my trying to keep my mind open, I am considering what very dark would look like against my stark white... I should take a picture of how diverse the 4-5 I've pulled as potential are.

Toverly, the sewing room requires my attention to detail, other things I can wave my hands and say, that all stays or goes. If I can clean up my stash, I can always open it up again! But goodness knows I have lots of stuff that is going to make the move but I don't need out entirely. Is most likely that if anything further is done it will be quilting down.