Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-19-2022, 07:57 AM

The indecision is real in this one! Yikes, hit the brakes, just when I thought I had it all figured out....

I started thinking about the fabrics we have/choose/use and how my back influenced the adding of the purple to the quilt as well as the polka dots and bold fabric choices. I went to look at how my aquas went with the back and they were all pretty horrible But then something one of my Tuesday ladies said clicked in my mind about purple.

I don't think it photographs well, it is a basic royal purple and not as blue as it appears to me.

That's the back at one side of the top, the aqua choices on the other and some random blocks on the dark purple background.

I like contrast -- my pale choice had a lot going for it in a lot of ways. The other shot is a background I pulled back at halloween as a "dark horse" potential for the aqua. Had I chosen softer more traditional florals for the pinks that this actually holds up to the white just fine. It's shown at a 2" grid.
Attached Thumbnails 100_6287.jpg   100_6285.jpg  
Old 01-19-2022, 09:45 AM

Iceblossom, looking at this last pair of photos, the left hand photo, I would eliminate the group of three greens that sit under the aqua. I think the brightness of the aqua and olfa greens make them compatible with your backing, even though they aren't represented in hue. I don't care for the print in the photo on the right.

So my finalists are the aqua and olfa; I don't really care for the purple, because I think a contrasting hue for the sashing gives more punch.

I think my own preference is the aqua, but I think both olfa and aqua work well.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
Thank you for all the compliments. I was concerned about the sunflowers but I think they really make the quilt now. Siodach/Kate, I have to tell our fellow quilters here about us. We met on the Quilt Board when I posted a question before my husband and I went to Scotland. We met up with Kate and her husband Ron. We stood outside our hotel one night, waiting for them to meet up with us and my husband said " Do you realize we are meeting up with people we know nothing about, getting in their car and going places we have no idea about?" I said yes! Isnt it great! We gave them our descriptions and it wasnt long before Ron, Kate's hubby came up to me and said in his Scottish brogue, " If I asked you if you were a quilter, would you say yes?" Lol, I had very long red hair and that was the description of myself I gave them and they were able to pick us out of a crowd of people. They are wonderful, good people and we enjoy a friendship with them. Of course when we again went "across the pond" we met up again a few years later and picked up right where we left off. Kate has sent me some incredibly awesome boxes over the years full of the most wonderful surprises. Her friendship means the world to me!
aawww, you say the nicest things, lol. But you’ve left out half the story! All the wonderful things you've done for me!
That first meeting was awesome, we discovered we had so much in common, despite living half a world away from each other. I’m sure I’m a better quilter because of the lovely extras you’ve sent my way. I think the single thing I treasure the most is no bigger than a matchbox - a wee box of double-headed pins which reminds me of you every time I use them (which is often, lol). Such a simple thing, but so useful.

You’re also partially responsible for what has become a minor obsession in this house. If I were to whisper the word “featherweight”….. To come back on topic, this mystery has so far been pieced exclusively on one of (too many) I’ve tracked down during lockdown……

hugs to you Sandra
K
Old 01-19-2022, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

Sandra and Kate- what a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:54 PM

Sandra and Kate, what a lovely story! I met one of my best friends thanks to a homeschooling board. Our family’s have gotten together many times over the years and have a wonderful time together. We have actually spent time together in Scotland when my family was living in England.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Iceblossom, looking at this last pair of photos, the left hand photo, I would eliminate the group of three greens that sit under the aqua. I think the brightness of the aqua and olfa greens make them compatible with your backing, even though they aren't represented in hue. I don't care for the print in the photo on the right.

So my finalists are the aqua and olfa; I don't really care for the purple, because I think a contrasting hue for the sashing gives more punch.

I think my own preference is the aqua, but I think both olfa and aqua work well.
I agree with everything you said, joe'smom. I don't have a horse in this race, since I'm not participating, but I know how difficult it can be sometimes to arrive at a solution that feels perfect, so I hope it helps.

Leslie
Old 01-20-2022, 07:01 AM

Well what is worse than seeing that you put an hourglass block in wrong? Ripping it out and resewing it and seeing you put it back in the exact same wrong way! Yes, I did this last night. I was just laughing telling hubby that I had done such a thing before in other projects then I go and do it! Put it away till this morning and got it right. Geez. Progress so far. I am getting kind of tired with this part. Want to move on to the flying geese. Is anyone else making this larger by putting a border on it and if so would you please share with me how you are doing that?
Attached Thumbnails 0120220948_resized.jpg  
Old 01-20-2022, 07:21 AM

This morning I am back to leaning towards the Olfa green. The biggest issue is the purple is too close to the garnet and it gets muddy around the cornerstones. Hoping my solid white arrives today... maybe having the setting triangles will help me out. On the non-artistic side of design considerations, I have a cousin who believes I should work more in purple (her favorite color) and then give her the quilts and this quilt doesn't have a designated home yet.

I'm thinking today I'm going to do something different and start putting my border units together. That also might make a final sashing decision a bit easier.

Sandra-P -- I do the fix/make the same error so often it isn't even funny... Is even worse that I prefer to do all of a step at a time so typically I have tons to redo.

For me and the Butterflies -- I've spent so much time picking up and putting down blocks that I can see/understand the design issues. When I step back though, whether I have them turned "correctly" or all the same way, or even different ways, what I mostly see is the diagonal lines and it takes me quite a bit of effort on what doesn't look right. I tried to do my layout correctly, I'll try to put my blocks together correctly -- but most likely I'm going to leave it in if I make a mistake.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Sandra, I'm going to copy your way of arranging the hourglass blocks. I like it a lot better.
Oh yes, I've done the same mistake twice many times lol.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:33 AM

Sandra-P, I am slogging thru this part too. I am finally at the second corner. It's raining today so maybe I can get thru it. I am debating about the outside border. It doesn't seem to need it. But they are made so maybe? Still on the fence.