Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 11-10-2021, 08:39 AM

Hi, everyone! I just found the Quilting Board a few days ago. I'm enthused to connect with others doing the BKH Mystery. I'm actually skimming through all the postings for last year's mystery. It was a great consolation to find others who had tweeked the color scheme. In rural Northwest Missouri our landscape is more open. What's impressive to me is the blue, blue sky glowing through all these beautiful fall trees. So I choose a rich assortment of blues in place of Bonnie's gray. I did use gray in the first border as a nod to Bonnie's choice and also for the roads that do run through the hills & valleys. And I did a "broken glass aka creek bottom aka crazy quilt aka stack n whack" border. Sorry, I don't know how to take pictures that are realistic. I just need to put the binding on that quilt. That all could have been posted on the other thread, but it's gone inactive now. I'm enthused about the Rhododendron Trail mystery. The colors are right down my line. Don't think I will change anything. And I have a HUGE stash of fabric so I'll surely find what I need. The Royal Garnet is the only one I may not have. Maybe I can buy that one and use as a single fabric. I'm quite sure this Thread will keep me enthused!

Old 11-10-2021, 08:43 AM

Default Labeling the Quilt

My question is how to label a quilt that has been "changed" in color scheme? What are your suggestions? Something like "Based on a Bonnie K. Hunter design"? I usually come up with a new name for a quilt as I'm working on my version. But I want to give due recognition to the designer.
Old 11-10-2021, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by kck83 View Post
My question is how to label a quilt that has been "changed" in color scheme? What are your suggestions? Something like "Based on a Bonnie K. Hunter design"? I usually come up with a new name for a quilt as I'm working on my version. But I want to give due recognition to the designer.
Welcome to the board! IMHO changing a color in a quilt pattern does not mean that you have made a different pattern, it simply means you changed colors. I tweaked Grassy Creek and changed blocks to suit my preferences, but it is still Grassy Creek.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:07 AM

Welcome to the board, Kck! You've come in at a great time for a great project.

I give my quilts their own names, for me "Grassy Creek" is Silver Linings, but even with my (very minor) changes it is still what it is. I would make a label like

Silver Linings
Bonnie Hunter 2020/21 Winter Mystery (you could insert Grassy Creek in there too)
Made by me!

For Frolic, I called mine South of Seattle Frolic, both from my colors/backing fabric selection and my physical location... Again, I'd start with the name and then Bonnie, and then the other details.
South of Seattle Frolic
Bonnie Hunter 2019/2020 Winter Mystery

And since I've been referring to them, here's pictures of the just completed in the nick of time before this mystery starts, fully completed tops.
Attached Thumbnails finished-frolic-full-front.jpg   finished-frolic-full-back.jpg   finished-silver-linings-front.jpg   finished-silver-linings-back.jpg  
Old 11-10-2021, 09:45 AM

Your quilts are amazing, Iceblossom!

I wanted to wait until after the reveal to make this quilt, yet I can also see myself being unable to resist starting in with the first clue. I wish I could just make a decision and stick with it! I'm also indecisive about the pros and cons of going scrappy vs. using one fabric per color. Normally when I go scrappy, I have lots of fabrics in each color, whereas I only have a few fabrics in each color this year, other than the neutrals.

Originally Posted by craft View Post
I am thinking about using the full yardage amount for the yellow as a bright solid yellow in the whole quilt. Bright yellow reminds me of a bright sunny day. I am having an issue with the pink though. I don't know what shades to go with.
I like the idea of a single yellow. I have a best yellow and was also thinking of sticking with that one.

Regarding the pinks, the paint cards are very cool pinks. So if you are sticking with Bonnie's colors, think of pinks leaning toward purple rather than pinks leaning toward orange.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:25 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default One fabric for each color

This is my 5 or so BH mystery. I have learned so much sometimes what I don’t like! My first one was one fabric for each color and it turned out ok but rather “flat”. It didn’t have the movement the others did. I do like having one constant to give your eyes a rest among the busyness . Even though the bits and pieces are usually small, IMHO the design works best if the fabrics have a bit of design in them.
looking forward to seeing everyone’s progress. If I can figure out how, I will post pictures.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:31 PM

Terry in ADK, I did the same thing with one of Bonnie's Mystery quilts and like you I didnt care for it at all and now make sure I put all different kinds of fabric the same color. This time I will stick with her suggestion to use all one color for the blue fabric.
Old 11-10-2021, 03:15 PM

Here is a picture is of the fabric I'm considering using for this mystery.
Attached Thumbnails fabric-swatches.jpg  
Old 11-10-2021, 04:28 PM

Those are beautiful, Stitches23!
Old 11-10-2021, 04:59 PM

I challenged myself to order the fabric for this year out of the sale section at hancock's, and was very proud of myself for getting so much fabric for a good (to me), price. My box came today, and when I opened it I discovered I needed to make a few changes. I did not have enough contrast between my pinks and my garnets (all of my light pinks were shorted), one of my garnets was red, my solid metallic aqua stuck out like a sore thumb, and my neutrals were too matchy to thrill me. I always worry about ordering fabric online without being able to see the colors in front of me, they never quite photograph true.

I had planned a trip to JoAnn today for more needles and some more neutrals for my current project, so I picked up some more fabric to correct the contrast levels. I found an aqua I fell in love with, but it was a few inches short of being the required yardage. I think I have a couple of very close fat quarters to go with it, so I hope I am not about to jinx myself. I also now have enough neutrals and pinks for two quilts, lol.

My original order is on the right, final pull is on the left!
Attached Thumbnails 20211110_183348.jpg   20211110_183039.jpg