Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2022 >

What are we organizing today 2022

What are we organizing today 2022

Old 03-18-2022, 08:21 AM

Y'all are getting lots done. I'm still a bit stuck, but I need to reorganize my quilting studio so I can fit the machine that I won at MAQF into the space. The machine I won is a Janome 1522PG anniversary edition and it's going to be my backup/travel machine. It's mechanical with 20+ stitches, needle threader, etc. So the plan is to move my fabric storage to a different wall and move the VX560 (which I use to make rope bowls and baskets) to where the fabric is currently located. That will give it its own dedicated outlet so I can use it without having to unplug another machine. That will free up a spot to store the new Janome.

I think that's a pretty good plan... now to get the energy up to actually execute it LOL!

Rob
Old 03-18-2022, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Y'all are getting lots done. I'm still a bit stuck, but I need to reorganize my quilting studio so I can fit the machine that I won at MAQF into the space. The machine I won is a Janome 1522PG anniversary edition and it's going to be my backup/travel machine. It's mechanical with 20+ stitches, needle threader, etc. So the plan is to move my fabric storage to a different wall and move the VX560 (which I use to make rope bowls and baskets) to where the fabric is currently located. That will give it its own dedicated outlet so I can use it without having to unplug another machine. That will free up a spot to store the new Janome.

I think that's a pretty good plan... now to get the energy up to actually execute it LOL!

Rob
Wow…you won a machine? Very cool! Perfect for traveling… What does MAQF stand for?
Old 03-20-2022, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

Rob, you won a machine? How awesome!!!!!!!!
If it makes you feel any better my sewing room currently looks like a bomb went off. I have 3 projects going on at once and I can barely move in there. I have stuff all over.. On top of that my cat, Mookie, comes in and knocks things around.
Old 03-20-2022, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I made a big step today, I ordered my first move-related set of boxes/storage things. We have decided that we are moving the vinyl albums, most of which came with me from Alaska back in 1983... have ordered special heavy duty just the right size boxes that should be enough for what I have.

I also bought a set of (5) plastic totes that are stackable and have lids. I hope to use for my fabric storage, eventually I hope to have shelves but stackable is always good. The ones I have my quilt tops in are larger than I'd like to handle full of fabric. I really like the size and shape of my cardboard banker boxes and that I can still easily lift them even full of fabric and with my short little alligator arms. These are 30 quart, about the same size and If I like them, I'll order more. I'm still not sure how much fabric I want to move, I know it is less than I have so this will be a good test of many things.
I tore an old sheet in 3 or 4 inch strips and used strips to tie around my moving boxes. Lay across box top, cross over underneath and come back up to top & tie in a knot. It makes a great handle and 2 boxes can be carried at once with not much effort. I was told it was a great plan. Good luck. Moving is a huge job.
Old 03-21-2022, 03:14 AM
Power Poster

Work has been taking up too much of my time ( and brain energy) lately. I have managed to get a few things finished in my sewing room so I need to get the finished ( Ben quilts) packed up and ready to send to him then sort, organize, put away the stuff that’s been piled up in a corner. When I finished quilting the last quilt of Ben’s I was sure there were 2 left- but, now I can only find one- I need to put stuff away and make sure. I also want to get the 5-7 of my tops located, measured, paired up with backings and organized to start working on them as soon as I finish the last of Ben’s. . I only have today off ( after working the past 5) then I’m back to work tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday so I’m not going to stress too much about any sewing time today, just spend some time sorting/ cleaning so when I get to the weekend it will be nice to be able to accomplish some quilting.
Old 03-21-2022, 05:27 AM

I quit. The jely rolls won. My plan is to keep sewing using jelly for the rest of this month and next month too.So the pile of strips on the cutting table will increase and decrease as the projects grow. It's one hell of a mess. Oh maybe it looks so bad because I brought home a box of strips from the Linus Grouop that were pressed in half. The amount probably equaled at lease 2 jelly rolls. Usinng this free pattern from Jordan Fabric. So much fun to do. Easy and fast so think I'll make at least 1 more for the donation pile...or 2. https://jordanfabrics.com/pages/diamond-trip
Old 03-21-2022, 05:46 AM

Organizing... I just got a bug to do this on a major scale. Now I have a closet completely cleaned out, and my finance has been redesigning the shelves to fit my material into the spaces from my design. Once it is finished, materials, tubs of supplies, batting rolls, threads and more will have an organized permanent home. More importantly, the doors will close and the room will look neat and tidy and I will be able to find the colors and prints that I need quickly.
Old 03-21-2022, 04:43 PM

Tranum : Great idea for the sheet strips.

Julienm: Thanks for the link to the jelly roll pattern.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:17 AM
Power Poster

Just checking in with your girls. It sounds like many of you have dug in your heels to make for the finish line. I love the mental strategies being shared.
I am not up to organizing the piles of fabric I created while trying to organize with you girls. I got a variant of covid which put me into bed for a long time. I am trying to get some energy to just be able to sew blocks. Geez, I have never felt so weak and small. I lost some where around thirty pounds. I will get over this though. I am determined not to let it win.
Old 03-22-2022, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
This is a bit of a look back at yesterday, but I still have more to go. I am in the habit of saving free quilt patterns on my computer. Well, I started yesterday to take a serious look at the several 100 patterns I had saved. I found the delete button on my computer and got started. With my eyes wide open and a reality check close at hand,.
I have a computer photo file of saved 'boy I like this quilt' ideas, by the end of the year it usually approaches about 300 photos. Part of my January spring cleaning is going through that file and asking myself the same thing you did. Tastes change
I do the same thing with my computer bookmarks file, usually about half can be deleted.