Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2022 >

What are we organizing today 2022

What are we organizing today 2022

Old 04-29-2022, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
Do you ever get the urge to start organizing and then 2 hours later you’re just looking around at a mess thinking like…what in the world have I done.
Yes!!! Happens a lot. Usually because I also try to rearrange my studio while in the middle of organizing... Sometimes that's just the stage you have to go through to get organized. The professional organizers often use a different room to stick stuff in while they're organizing one room. We had professionals come help organize DH's office/studio when it got so bad there were just a couple of paths through the junk on the floor that allowed him to get to his computer. They took everything out except for the big furniture. Sorted into piles of like with like and had him decide what to keep and what to get rid of- all before putting anything back into the room. Was very helpful, but would have been overwhelming to try doing this without the help. As it was, it took an entire day with 3 organizers and DH.

Rob
Old 04-29-2022, 07:17 AM

Berrynice- congratulations on getting started on the new space. Post pics when you get a chance!

Rob
Old 05-04-2022, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

I was shopping yesterday and happened by an aisle with shelf/ storage items. I picked up a 3 drawer unit with clear drawers that are deep and large enough to hold my Longarm thread cones for only $15. So now I have all my thread off the bookshelves and baskets and sorted by color families. I also have had a wooden thread holder- I don’t know what to call it- it’s antique- I will take a couple pictures at some point, but anyway I sorted and put all my balls of Perle Cotton into it- filled all 6 spaces, so now I don’t have to search drawers , bags & boxes when I need a color.
i sold the 1956 singer that was in a cabinet so had to clean out those 6 drawers- and move it out, which gave me room for the treadle machine and it looks nice at the end of the Longarm. Organized some books and magazines since I now have room on the bookshelves that were cluttered with thread cones
the room is a disaster while I’ve been working on a quilt but I’m getting things done
Old 05-04-2022, 08:08 AM

Yesterday played with jelly rolls...AGAIN! Rolled them up by color. Secured with rubber bands. We buy criosaints at Costco and have 3 empty containers. Just the right size for something...like jelly rolls. OMG! Rolled up jellies looks so pretty in there! Used up two. Got tied of sorting so the third container has "haphazard" jellies. Still have odds and end that need to find a new home but I am finally to see part of my cutting table (also known as a landing pad or the dumping ground...lol)
Old 05-04-2022, 11:03 AM

I keep a plastic tub under my cutting table, when it gets full I cut it into blocks of whatever size I can get out of each piece. When I go to sew, the blocks are cut in whatever sizes I need. Each size has a separate drawer. Works for me. So I have no clutter and I save money.
Old 05-05-2022, 05:03 AM

Do you ever have days when you just need to piece something? I do! Had one yesterday and now have a bit of a clean up on my organizing list for today. It felt SO good to do some piecing just for fun with no deadline hanging over my head and no intricate directions to follow. Pulled out my batiks bin and went at it making square in a squares that are 6.5" finished. But there was a batik explosion in my sewing space. Time to pull out the ones I want to use and to put the rest back in the bin and then bin on the shelf. But the colors are so pretty scattered all over the floor like a pathway of gems........ No, back in the bin and bin to the shelf. Happy Cinco de Mayo my quilting friends.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:41 PM

WMUteach ….one of my favorite kind of days is mindless piecing and creating as I go. So fun. Sounds like you had a relaxing day and quick cleanup.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:42 AM

Went to Project Linus give away yesterday. Tables FILLED with free fab for us to use for future PL quilts. Found what I was looking for: panels, yardage for backs, novelty, and what ever would fit in my tote(s). Not gonna confess to how much I brought home but I was glad DH was will me...lol.

So today started fondling fab and dreamt of future projects and had an AHH HA moment. I have stackable plastic drawers from Walmart...the big deap ones. Moved the conents around and created 2 empty ones. Made a label for the two drawers that says NEXT IN LINE. Just have to add coordinating fab and I'll have projects (new projects) all set to go..
Old 05-15-2022, 12:08 PM

Great idea for storing upcoming projects Julienm1 !

I recently decluttered our upstairs hallway by removing my old Sweet Sixteen table that I’d put there when I bought the new Insight table for the Sweet Sixteen. Rather than letting the old table go, I put it back in my quilting studio next to where my Sweet Sixteen is set up. The old table now holds the drawers that contain my scraps, some misc. fabric coloring supplies, and also my fabric cutting rulers. That freed up a lot of space on my small(er) cutting table so now I can use the entire surface of my 36 x24 cutting mat. My next self challenge will be in my other studio where I keep all my other art making stuff. I know I’ve got paper stored in several different parts of that room and it's getting hard to keep track of what I’ve got where. In the past I kept all my paper in one place. But a while back I decided to start keeping the specialty papers with the medium that I am most likely to use them with, so I’ve got water color paper with my water color paints, except for the full sheets that don’t fit on the shelf with my paints. Same with pastel paper and printmaking paper. Then there’s the paper that I use for making journals…way too many different places to look for paper and some of them are just plain hard to get to, so the paper doesn’t get used and I forget what I’ve got.

Rob

Old 06-15-2022, 05:00 PM

I know I'm a little late.... But I just started my spring cleaning this week. Since last fall, I have been working lots of overtime at my work, (I work in healthcare), which I had no energy to spring clean. I am now home on medical leave after some surgery, so after some healing time, decided it was a good time for a good deep cleaning. And besides when you're suddenly home alot, you notice the cobwebs and dust. I started in my sewing room. Not a speck of dust or loose string to be found. It's so bright and shiny now. Spare bedroom, master bedroom and bathrooms all done. Just the kitchen and living room left. I do one room at a time and take a days break in between if needed. Seeing the sun shining through the nice clean windows has been so worth it.