What are we organizing today 2022 >

What are we organizing today 2022

What are we organizing today 2022

Old 10-30-2022, 09:30 AM

I tthink I'd call it... time to regroup...lol
Old 11-02-2022, 07:58 AM

Default Multiply!

Originally Posted by QuiltMom2 View Post
I am promising myself that I will empty at least one 40 gallon bin ( out of three) that are all full to overflowing with scraps. I make scrap quilts all the time, but somehow the scraps keep on coming.
They multiply in their own in the dark!
Old 11-02-2022, 10:23 AM

I love this section of the QB. I come here whenever things get out of control in my small, creative space and I need new ideas and inspiration on how to organize things...or, just throw them out. Thanks everyone!!!
Old 11-03-2022, 11:32 AM

The template storage is percolating to the top of the priority list. Here’s my current plan.

just behind the cutting table is a wall 41” long. On it is light switches and electrical outlet. There’s minimum foot traffic space.
I think 6 2-3” deep shelves with a lip/groove. This would be similar to the grooved boards that sit on a table, but shelves on a wall.

I get distracted easily, so I keep clutter to a minimum. The walls do need some decoration.
Old 11-10-2022, 06:53 PM

I'm organizing fabric today - by color - separate boxes for each. Seems like I need to do this every year or two. Figured now would be a good time before I start the BH mystery and before the holidays kick in. I really want to paint my sewing room and fresh it up - maybe this spring.
Old 11-10-2022, 07:07 PM

Congratulations on your organization progress, Stitches23! That sounds quite cathartic :-) I'm curious - do these boxes contain pieces of all sizes or is this a scrap organization system? If it's for larger pieces as well, do you sub-sort your boxes and if so, how?

My fabric remains quite disorganized in general, but I went with small boxes of colour for my scraps this year and while I haven't yet managed to make great use of those scraps, I've enjoyed the two-part satisfaction of a) having a proper place to put my small bits of fabric and b) knowing where to start looking when I want or need fabric of a certain colour. I would like to do the same for my larger pieces as well one day. I did see another system that sorts scraps more by tone and if I ever get a space and stash that is large enough, I could see myself having two boxes for each colour - one for those that would go better with a creamy neutral and one that would blend better with a purer white.

So nice to dream about being organized when the reality is hard to achieve! Love that I can live the dream vicariously here, too. :-)

Old 11-11-2022, 05:37 AM

Dreaming of truly being organized. LOL.. What does that truly look like? Idk

For now, I'm just putting all one color in a clear 12 qt box with lid - mostly fabric that is a yard or less but if was in the pile of fabric or still in the bag because I haven't put it away yet after buying it, it gets organized into the box as well. My yardage is somewhat organized by color but in large totes and that make access harder for me because I always have to dig to the bottom to see what's there. I'm hoping the smaller tubs will make the fabric more accessible without digging it all out to find what I think I'm looking for. Maybe some of you who are organized know what works best? Space is limited.

And I'm starting to look for patterns where I can use some of smaller pieces of fabric. Not ready to let them go, but am ready to find enough coordinating pieces to make a quilt and make my stash more manageable. :-)
Old 11-11-2022, 05:41 AM

PetTheFabric: I'm not sure what kind of templates you are talking about, but I use pegboard with hooks if you are talking about plastic templates, or stencils, or even rulers. For pantographs I use a clear plastic shoe bag that hangs over the back of the door.
Hope this helps in your decision making.
Old 11-11-2022, 09:08 AM

Thanks Amelia.
Old 11-11-2022, 03:25 PM

Stitches23 - I have run into the same issue with the larger totes (for storage in general, actually). I switched much of my FQ & larger fabric into underbed-shaped/-sized ones and that has helped somewhat as I fold and store the pieces on edge so I can see them all when I open the box, except that the boxes themselves aren't always the easiest to access so I often find myself trying to remember which bed/closet/room I've hidden a specific box in and cursing (quietly, of course) when I guess wrong. :-)