Fabric Moratorium 2022

Old 01-25-2022, 11:40 AM

You got that right
Old 01-28-2022, 06:02 AM

Oh man -- fabric temptations... I thought I was doing ok but as I was looking at my weird auction site for other things, a quilter's estate is on the auction block. On one hand, tons of good stuff including fabric and machines and all sorts of things, on the other hand it was a cautionary picture of what I am trying to avoid... but still... those FQs are awfully tempting!!

Fortunately for me, the auction is far enough a way that it helps me control myself. Helps. Maybe a bit.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:07 AM

Hey all,
I just posted a pic in the pics section of my most recent color block quilt finish. It's labelled September Colorblock 2021. All done with scraps and stash! Doing these quilts has really helped me whittle down my scraps and also to use up some things in my stash that had been there forever.

Rob

Old 01-30-2022, 08:27 AM

Okay - January has been a bad month for me in this fabric moratorium thing, although at least I've done most of my purchases at thrift prices (only one backing and batting at an actual LQS).

So the latest: I found two backings for current projects at a thrift store yesterday (yay!), but can't excuse the two bags of "scraps" that also made their way into my car as I left. There are a couple of layer cake pieces, but most of the rest are WoF strips of anywhere from 5" to 15", a couple of FQs, and then some really random pieces that make no sense whatsoever (weird, irregular cuts of the same fabrics - maybe someone was fussy cutting?). Anyway, I've got a quilt on the go right now, but as soon as it's done, I'm going to sit myself down and make sure I use up some of this stash I've been accumulating because right now I don't think I actually have room to put it away.

In the rest of my free time, I'm busy scouring the QB pages for great ideas for scrap and other types of quilts! :-) So grateful that people are so generous with their project ideas here - I'm sure I can come up with something for all of this lovely fabric.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:40 AM

Gemm , not sure if you have found the Albums pages or not, but if you go to the QB main page, and click on Pictures, at the top there are a few stickies, choose the Quilt Gallery Menu (N-Z) and scroll down to scrappy, there are five pages. Enjoy. Sorry not sure how to get a direct link for you here.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
Gemm , not sure if you have found the Albums pages or not, but if you go to the QB main page, and click on Pictures, at the top there are a few stickies, choose the Quilt Gallery Menu (N-Z) and scroll down to scrappy, there are five pages. Enjoy. Sorry not sure how to get a direct link for you here.
All these years and never saw this. Thanks. Who puts pictures in these albums?
Old 01-30-2022, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

I managed to get the baby quilt top put together out of stash- I had a (“ Love you to the Moon”) panel and used that with a couple borders- then the fleece I had planned to use for the back ( teddy bears sleeping on crescent moons) wound up being cut so crooked ( someone bought it at Joanne’s and gave it to me ) it wasn’t usable for this quilt - it is directional and the top was wide enough- 1/2 way down it was a whopping 8” too narrow. So, I made a trip to our little local quilt shop- gosh it’s been a long time since I’ve been there! Anyway they had some oh so soft Moda Snuggle fabric that was the perfect color so I picked up 1 1/2 yards- sure I didn’t need that much but I couldn’t wrap my ( boggle brain) around the math at the time. I will use the excess for something fun for the baby. Anyway it was nice to stop in- sure looks like lots of new wonderful fabrics this year. I didn’t buy anything else though. Just what I needed. It’s kind of incentive to continue using up what I have and finishing up old projects so I can move forward. I’m going to try to get the baby items all done in the next couple days before I get back to work on Wednesday. My sister in law is planning to go downstate with the baby crib and the items I’ve made next weekend ( it’s her first grand baby)
hopefully I will have pictures to share by Tuesday afternoon
Old 01-30-2022, 10:50 AM

Hey Petthefabric, there are all sorts of sort of "hidden" resources on the forums you only have access to if you are a member and logged in. I was really amazed when I found the albums and such but have to admit that I haven't updated my own albums in quite awhile -- call it 2 years/since the boards changed formats. I did, however, spend some times a couple weeks ago organizing the projects I did complete to update

Many of us have personal albums, you click on the Member Name and look at their public profile. For me to the right side of the screen there are the albums. Again, you have to be logged in to access this but here's my page:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...56-albums.html

I started this thread and some others who made/maintained their albums posted.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/vbulle...e-t311150.html

I no longer feel the need to get quilting magazines -- I get more inspiration on these forums and often by this subgroup!

So thanks everyone for sharing your scrap usage, I really appreciate it.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:25 AM

Default Fabric accountability

In 2021 I started tracking my fabric in and out by month and it was a real eye opener. It took 3 months before I had a negative month- more fabric out than in. I made a goal of using backing fabrics from stash (of which I had plenty!) and limiting impulse buys (usually of even more backing fabric!).
Happy to say I ended 2021 with -28.0 yards and that is a great feeling.
Something about figuring out my monthly totals and seeing it written down helped me- it was a challenge to myself to keep that negative number growing.

It's just what worked for me, I'm posting this in case it helps someone else.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:46 AM

DebinLA - I've seen other people talking about tracking fabric and it sounds like it can be really helpful. Do you have a spreadsheet or something you use to keep track? I am also wondering - may I assume you are working mostly with yardage?
I think I would be hard-pressed to actually calculate the ins and outs simply because of my inclination to buy scraps. Do you - or does anyone - have an idea for an easy way to keep track of smaller pieces in and out? I am guessing I could just figure out square inches of a completed quilt for the "out," but what about the in? Looking for ideas and inspiration. I'm now staring at stacks of fabric that have no home and realizing how many slippery slopes are concealed within this hobby/passion!