Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Display Baby Shower >

Display Baby Shower

Display Baby Shower

Old 03-06-2022, 08:31 PM

My favorite part of a shower is when everything stops and all the guests join in enjoying the opening of the gifts with lots of ooohs and aaaahs. Copehome, you don't indicate where you're from; maybe this is a local custom. I've never heard of a Display Shower and I'll be interested in hearing from you how it compared with the showers we all know. I'm picturing all the gifts laid out on a table with everybody just walking by and looking. Have a good time and please let us know.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:10 PM

I had to google it. The first time I tried, I got a lot of pictures of showers with glass doors! Yikes! Anyway on the second attempt, it said that the display showers are to cut down on the time spent unwrapping gifts and have more time for talking and visiting. Also, it is cuts down on the waste from all the wrapping paper. Umm...I Dunno, I kind of like listening to the comments as each gift is unwrapped and admired especially the handmade ones. I had a friend who gave me pieces from her exercise shorts as the fabric was cute (had brightly colored frogs on them) and she thought I could use it in my quilting. Well, I put the pieces in an "I spy" quilt and gifted it as my gift at her first grandchild's baby shower. We all got a laugh at that as we told grandma she got to explain to her grandson were those frog blocks came from. It was also fun watching my friend as she spied the frogs!
Old 03-06-2022, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
I had to google it. The first time I tried, I got a lot of pictures of showers with glass doors! Yikes! Anyway on the second attempt, it said that the display showers are to cut down on the time spent unwrapping gifts and have more time for talking and visiting. Also, it is cuts down on the waste from all the wrapping paper. Umm...I Dunno, I kind of like listening to the comments as each gift is unwrapped and admired especially the handmade ones. I had a friend who gave me pieces from her exercise shorts as the fabric was cute (had brightly colored frogs on them) and she thought I could use it in my quilting. Well, I put the pieces in an "I spy" quilt and gifted it as my gift at her first grandchild's baby shower. We all got a laugh at that as we told grandma she got to explain to her grandson were those frog blocks came from. It was also fun watching my friend as she spied the frogs!
That was always my favorite part of showers. I hated the games. The uwrapping of the packages and seeing how surprised people were was the best. I also liked all the pretty packages with wrappings and bows. Of course, that's my favorite part of Christmas and birthday presents too.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:51 PM

Did the invitation say 'Display'? If not, they may be trying to help the environment by not using wrapping paper and ribbons. In that case, I'd purchase 1 1/4 yd of flannel and hem it for a receiving blanket and use that to wrap the quilt.
Old 03-07-2022, 01:43 AM

Maybe you could fold the quilt so that it is in a wedge shape going from the center to an outer edge that would show a slice of the whole design. Just safety pin the top together at the point and again along the bottom edge to keep the shape. That question answered, I'd like to add another personal comment, and I hope that no one will be offended by my honesty. My age might be showing, but I think that the future mother (or bride) has an obligation at a shower to take the time to personally open each gift and express her thanks and comments to the giver. With the money that people are expected to spend these days on a gift, just placing them on a table for the recipient to take home and look at later, is not time saving, it is rude and insulting to the invited guests. Since the object of the shower is the gifts, then that should be the focus of the party, and if there isn't time to unwrap them, then cut down or eliminate the other activities. I am sorry, but if the mommy-to-be doesn't have time to unwrap and acknowledge my gift and express her thanks, then I might not have time to make or buy a gift or come to the shower. If saving the environment by not using paper and bows is the reason, then ask that people use recyclable or reusable packaging, like Irishrose2 suggested, but don't skip that part of the shower.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:57 AM

I always now fold my quilts in thirds then roll it up into a log and tie it with a coordinating ribbon or length of raffia. I can just bet that someone will unroll it and show it off. The curiosity with get to them becasue they want to see the whole thing.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:58 AM

If saving the environment by not using paper and bows is the reason, then ask that people use recyclable or reusable packaging, like Irishrose2 suggested, but don't skip that part of the shower.[/QUOTE]

There are so many ways to "save the environment" Stitching up a fun gift bag from our scraps even, or using one of those ready made gift bags that can be saved and reused, or even using a receiving blanket, or pillow case, or well, probably not these days, but we used to just wrap gifts in newspaper with twine to "save the environment. Also my sister and I have used paper bags which we decorated ourselves. As children we had to unwrap our gifts carefully so mom could save and reuse the wrapping paper. Actually, I have thought of making up a supply of gift bags out of my scraps to have on hand.
Old 03-07-2022, 05:21 AM

I bought a lovely basket to put my handmade quilt, matching embroidered pillow and a card into for a display shower. I folded and draped the quilt just so for a pleasing visual. We all strolled past the gift table at one time or another and enjoyed the MTB's company throughout the shower. IMHO, it was WAY more enjoyable than sitting there, MTB and guests, for hours.

Old 03-07-2022, 05:27 AM

True story. I attended my cousin's baby shower last Sunday. That invitation asked for a book in leu of a card, which allowed me to make my first cloth book, so cute with prairie points around it. After visiting for half an hour without the guest of honor, I asked my aunt why she was late. She was at the hospital at the NICU. Yep...had the baby the day before! We Facetimed and saw the baby!

I think a Display Shower might work if the gifts were highlighted like they are in a Silent Auction type display--all spread out and highlighted around the room with a place card or something identifying the gift-giver. The shower could culminate in an acknowledgement of each gift as the guest of honor admired each one aloud with a verbal thank you.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:11 AM

I would take a small chair and sit it next to the table and open the quilt up over the chair, I also like the idea of putting a photo with it.