Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-15-2011, 08:43 AM

I just found a Free Westinghouse machine at the local thrift shop. They are holding it for me.
SN# AHR833157
It runs but wasn't able to try to sew with it. It's $25 I am wondering if parts etc and needles are easily available. Also, do you have any information about this machine. It's a heavy one and all metal as far as I can tell.
I didn't have my camera with me so can't post pictures.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by jan on 446
I just found a Free Westinghouse machine at the local thrift shop. They are holding it for me.
SN# AHR833157
It runs but wasn't able to try to sew with it. It's $25 I am wondering if parts etc and needles are easily available. Also, do you have any information about this machine. It's a heavy one and all metal as far as I can tell.
The Free Westinghouse was made my Free Sewing Machine Co. It should use regular Schmetz needles. I have a Free Treadle that is like treadling a sports car compared to treadling on my Davis vertical feed. I know nothing about the Free Westinghouse!

Nancy
Old 03-15-2011, 09:03 AM

Hooray for the oil soak method! I finally got the back slide plate off of the Domestic. (Also applied elbow grease in the form of a screw driver and repeated jolts from the heal of my hand). Need to do some more soaking, and a bit of steel wool work, and it'll be fine. Nothing serious.

Changed stitch length and presser foot pressure. Now, get a good stitch with occasional dropped stitch. Good productivity for my lunch hour. Looks like minor adjustments from here iron cleaning and major cabinet stripping and this summer.

Still need to find accessories like feet, front slide plate, attachments. I'd also like to know how to date this old girl.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Deara
Nancy, your quilt is awesome.

I so enjoyed hearing how it was created, using the different vintage and antique machines.

That gives us all inspiration to use several of our vintage and antique machines to create a work of art as the previous owners of our machines did long ago.

Blessings,
Sandi
Sandi, thank you. I really wasn't trying to use a bunch of different machines, but I had started that quilt using my Mother's 1952, 130 Pfaff -- I have always been told to do all the piecing on the same machine so the seams will all match up! After I had pieced them all, I used the 15-88 treadle because that is the one I have set up behind the sofa in the living room for FM, then I went to my Pfaff 1222e because it had the monofilament thread on it and it was set up for attaching the sashings which attached the blocks together, then to the Free treadle to make the binding (it is the one I am piecing with now and has cotton thread on it), then to Betty who will be my machine for attaching the bindings from now on because of that Vertical Feed system, then back to my 1222e Pfaff that is set up with monofilament to finish the binding on the back, now to my Rocketeer because it has a monogrammer to put my initials on the quilt!

So I wasn't just hopping around for the fun of it -- I actually did the quilt the most efficient way I could with would I have to use-which, was a lot of fun! Geeze, if we are all going to have multiple machines, it is fun to set each one up for a specific job to do!

Nancy
Old 03-15-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by olebat
Still need to find accessories like feet, front slide plate, attachments. I'd also like to know how to date this old girl.
Olebat, go to this site and look under Serial Number/Dating List. White had a badge machine called the Domestic. Go thru the pages, there are like 49 pages of numbers, but this site lists the production dates for the badged White machines here along with the White machines.

http://community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession

Nancy
Old 03-15-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Pat Heinemann
Any one know of the New Seamstress machines? I found one at a antique store this weekend. They wanted $150 and it had attachments, but I am not sure they are all there. Very nice looking machine. Thanks Pat
Pat and everyone here look at this web site! I was trying to figure out what Pat has and found this web site -- man, this will make you all drool!

http://website.lineone.net/~lindave/other.htm

Nancy
I would love to have one of those Taylor Birds!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:00 AM

Thanks for the heads up! When I got home from town, my sister in law had called and my dh told her that I was looking at a machine. She asked him to tell me that she was looking for one that was all metal for some heavy duty sewing that she didn't want to use her new Bernina on. So I went back into town and bought it for her. This is common for her and I to be in tune to what each other wants! I am so glad I married one of her brothers!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by jan on 446
SN# AHR833157
Thanks Nancy
Old 03-15-2011, 11:37 AM

Billy, did I miss the tute on elecro - whatever - sis? If so, could you direct me to it?

Thanx, Brenda
Old 03-15-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I removed my Domestic from its cabinet and put it and the coffin lid and 3 drawers in the back seat. Then put the cabinet on the front passenger seat of my Jeep Wrangler, strapped it in with the seat belt and went home with it.
:lol: :wink: You go girl!!!