Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-04-2011, 06:53 AM

Oh Kathie, what beautiful SM's you have!! I can just imagine how nice they look displayed throughout your home or in your sewing room. Thank you for sharing.

Judy
Old 05-04-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Oh Kathie, what beautiful SM's you have!! I can just imagine how nice they look displayed throughout your home or in your sewing room. Thank you for sharing.

Judy
Thank you Judy, right now they are sitting on the floor of my guest room waiting for me to oil them and finish checking them out. Kathie
Old 05-04-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Wow, pretty machines! I have never used a hand crank. Is it hard to do? I am not very co-ordinated.
Hand cranks take getting used to, lots easier to sew with if you have a seam guide to let the fabric ride against.
Sharon W.
Yes, the seam guide does make a lot of sense! I think that would make it easier. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:57 AM

Kathie, your machines are beautiful. I like the faceplate on the New Home. Its cabinet has nice lines, too.

Elsie, don't apologize. I am new to this, too. The only machines I know anything about are the Elnas. For the rest I just like making guesses.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Kathie, your machines are beautiful. I like the faceplate on the New Home. Its cabinet has nice lines, too.

Elsie, don't apologize. I am new to this, too. The only machines I know anything about are the Elnas. For the rest I just like making guesses.
Irishrose, thank you. Besure and ask a lot of questions here. These people are wonderful and will share any information that they have. I have learned so much on here. Like you I am also new to all of this. Kathie
Old 05-04-2011, 10:44 AM

Kathy your machines are beautiful. How do you get all of them in one day and then have them all cleaned up already?

I cannot believe anyone would go back to read all 1000 pages, but there is great info. You must have lots of patience.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:18 AM

[quote=quilt addict]Kathy your machines are beautiful. How do you get all of them in one day and then have them all cleaned up already?

Thank you. These machines looked brand new so all I had to do was to give them a good oiling and to look for any problems. The pictures that you saw were the ones sent to me by the previous owner before I bought them. They came as clean as they looked in the pictures. I only found two problems on one machine. Two broken hindges on the Bel Air and a missing throat plate. Kathie
Old 05-04-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Irishrose, thank you. Besure and ask a lot of questions here. These people are wonderful and will share any information that they have. I have learned so much on here. Like you I am also new to all of this. Kathie
Yes we try to help in every way we can - even if we post the same machine pictures 3 times! LOL!!!!!

Kathie, do I get extra chocolate for double posting the 99 and triple posting the New Home???????

It seems we are all having problems with posting? You guys will just have to forgive me, I was in a hurry this morning and didn't think they were going through! Besides, those machines are just eye candy for sure!

Kathy was the New Home's cabinet redone? It is so beautiful!

Nancy
Old 05-04-2011, 11:49 AM

Kathie, do I get extra chocolate for double posting the 99 and triple posting the New Home???????

Will an extra big piece of chocolate cake do?
Kathy was the New Home's cabinet redone? It is so beautiful!

Nancy[/quote]

There was a note inside saying that someone used Sears wiping stain on it. I did not realize that the New Home cabinets were so pretty. I did notice that underneath the bed of the sewing machine there is a piece of material that looks like canvas that does need to be replaced, which is not big deal. Kathie
Old 05-04-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
There was a note inside saying that someone used Sears wiping stain on it. I did not realize that the New Home cabinets were so pretty. I did notice that underneath the bed of the sewing machine there is a piece of material that looks like canvas that does need to be replaced, which is not big deal. Kathie
Actually, of all the cabinets I have seen, I think the New Home is one of the prettiest because of the 'New Home' written on the cabinet in wood.

OK, you guys I have been pining over a Graybar that our local antique store has had for a month or so. Went up there and saw it again today. I didn't buy it, talked myself out of the machine as I now have 28 machines and don't 'need' another ' one. But this Graybar is very pretty with a foot pedal shaped like a foot. Since Graybar only made sewing machine between 1926 and 1934, I know it's approximate age. I need to be talked out of this machine!!!! They are asking $50, but are open to offers as it needs to be moved and has been in the store for a couple months now!

I don't need another machine! Why doesn't someone here go and get it? It is located in the small town of El Dorado at the Hartwick Antique Store!

Nancy