Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Getting to know you (tell us about your state,country,recipe) >

Getting to know you (tell us about your state,country,recipe)

Getting to know you (tell us about your state,country,recipe)

Old 05-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Google Goddess

I thought this would be fun to get to know others by where they live. Please be sure put like the state, country so we know where you are from. Also post a link to get to know more about your area along with posting a recipe from your area.

I am working on a scrapbook to get to know more about all the states in USA and other countries. I am trying to collect a recipe from each area. I would appreciate you telling me more about your area so we can have fun and post a recipe.

Thank You!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Google Goddess

I will start:

Indiana, USA

Karen (birthday November 15, 1956) and I live in Indiana, USA
I started quilting last year and having a blast. I am married, no kids, but we have a spoiled dog. I belong 2 quilt guilds, a group of quilters also meet for a weekly sew day and love learning more about quilting.

Indiana site to get to know my state:

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa/states/indiana/

Sugar Cream Pie (is famous in Indiana)

Recipe Follows:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...arCreamPie.htm
Old 05-19-2010, 07:10 PM

I'm Pam from the upper peninsula of MIchigan. I've been a serious quilter for about 15 years but have quilted off and on for 35 years. I teach quilting when I can and I belong to a guild and 2 quilting groups that meet once a week. Those who live in the U.P. are called "yoopers" and those who live downstate are called "trolls" (because they live under the bridge!) A food that is a yooper favorite is a pasty - which is a meat pie made with beef, potatoes, onions, sometimes rutabagas. Here's a link to the recipe:
www.wideopenwest.com/~awesley5155/pastie.html
Old 05-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Google Goddess

Thanks

I made your recipe clickable:

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~awesley5155/pastie.html[/quote]

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I'm Pam from the upper peninsula of MIchigan. I've been a serious quilter for about 15 years but have quilted off and on for 35 years. I teach quilting when I can and I belong to a guild and 2 quilting groups that meet once a week. Those who live in the U.P. are called "yoopers" and those who live downstate are called "trolls" (because they live under the bridge!) A food that is a yooper favorite is a pasty - which is a meat pie made with beef, potatoes, onions, sometimes rutabagas. Here's a link to the recipe:
www.wideopenwest.com/~awesley5155/pastie.html
Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 PM

Here goes!
Daphne and I am married to the man of my dreams and reality, We live in Eva ,Alabama USA .I am a stay at home mom to 4 kids DD-13,DS-10 1/2,DS-8,DS -soon to be 5 .I caught the quilting bug about 8 yrs ago and haven't stopped since.Southerns are well known for their accents and their hospitality and our sweet tea( to cope with the heat and humidity) Visit http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genIn...ocIndex=261948 for info on our little town. And some of our favorite dishes are fried (anything, especially okra and squash)We have a dish called Alabama Scramble-Recipe- Gather Squash, (2-yellow, 1-Zucchini)2 med.- dicedGreen Tomatoes, 1 doz. pods ofOkra, 3-med.Red potatoes, 1/2-onion, 1tsp.salt and pepper to taste, 1 cup cornmeal and 1/2 cup flour.Cut up veggies into 1/2 inch pieces and add cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper, toss to coat. Place in preheated skillet with enough oil to just cover the bottom, cover and cook on medium gas heat for about 5-7 mins(don't leave this dish;browns fast) lift lid & check for browning, brown yet? Cook with lid on only about 15mins then leave off so it browns well.Turn and continue until everthing is scrambled well and golden brown.Serve with Pinto beans, turnip greens , slaw, pot roast and another southern staple CORNBREAD and a plate of cucumbers, onions, sliced tomatoes(red)Delish!And don't forget gallons of sweet tea.Ahh, southern nectar
Old 05-19-2010, 08:21 PM

Deb- In Ohio, USA. I was born in Upper Michigan, but we moved to Ohio when I was young. Since all moms family was still up there, we went back to visit almost every year.
I am married to a wonderful man, and have 2 grown children, 2 grands and just recently found out I have another grand on the way!!!! I have a spoiled dog and a spoiled cat that rule the house.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Google Goddess

Come on quilters, introduce yourself, tell us about your area and post a recipe!

We are hungry!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:54 PM

Where: Southern CA, in the desert.
Children : grown
Grandchildren: 2, spoiled by grandpa
Favorite recipe: Mexican restaurants, husband's cooking. I gave up cooking. To many complaints. I might think of something later and will post it.

I can't copy a link as I don't know how without a mouse.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:24 AM

That is one thing I miss about Michigan are the pasties!!! In fact, these are some of my favorites to make in the winter!! No one over here has ever had them!! :-D :-D
Old 05-20-2010, 02:36 AM

Hello all..
I am from a little town just south of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. I have lived here most of my life. I am married to a wonderful guy for 31 years. We have two children..a son 30 who is still single..and a daughter , 26 married with so far our only grandchild..Chloe. OUr daughter is graduating in October from nursing school. Our son in law is an AMTRAK train engineer. Our son is starting his own business.
I have been quilting for 25 years..it is my passion. I retired in 2006 from the floral business.
Gettysburg is a beautiful national park..and the surrounding area is rolling hills. We are noted in this area for snack foods. The area boasts Utz potatoe chips and Snyder pretzels. Our local dishes consist of scrapple, puddin', Hog maw and sweet bologna.
I have 5 shih tzus and one cat..all spoiled rotten..
I posted a recipe on that thread...for Whoopie Pies