Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly? >

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Old 06-25-2010, 04:23 PM

I don't usually shop at the LQS near me. They usually don't acknowledge me or try to help me. In addition, there is no way I can afford upwards of $10 a yard for fabric. I can get good quality fabric from Walmart or Joanns.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teresa 54
I have also made quilts with clothing from my husbands shirt- beautiful king size quilt - 5 years later - all those triangles are worn away, now it will take me months to replace-applique all new triangles - Boy - that wasn't worth saving the money on that! I should have gone with 1st grade quilting fabric to begin with. Never Again.

Or buy your DH better quality shirts.

8-)
Old 06-25-2010, 04:35 PM

I don't have a local quilt shop, sure wish I did !
Old 06-25-2010, 04:56 PM

There are four LQS within an hour's drive from me. I have visited three of these several times and have made several purchases of fabric, patterns, or notions from two of them. I have been to many quilt shops all over Michigan and other states as well when traveling. I can think of only three or maybe 4 shops that had really great prices. The one nearest me has fantastic prices, normally about $5 a yard and every month she puts something on sale for $4 or $4.50 - like black and whites one month or flannels one month, etc. One of the other quilt shops that is an hour away has good prices as well, $5, $6, or at the most $7 a yard (even Jinny Beyer's gorgeous fabrics.) The third shop is also an hour away and I have stopped there several times, but the only purchase I've ever made is a couple of fat quarters. Everything else is priced soooo high, I just can't afford it. There is a LQS in Port Huron that is HUGE and I bet at least 1/3 of her fabric is half off the regular price, which makes it either $3 or $4 a yard. Now here's my question. These quilt shops are always busy, and seem to be doing very well in this economy. So, why do other quilt shops charge $10 a yard and up?? It seems like they would make more money if they had lower prices and more sales and sold a lot more! And it would help quilters to keep quilting, keep buying more and they would always come back. Most of us don't have unlimited funds to buy fabric and we want good fabric at reasonable prices! And the woman at the closest shop is so warm and friendly... not only will she greet you, chat with you, help you find fabrics, she will also invite you into her house (attached) for coffee cake or cinnamon rolls!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
There are four LQS within an hour's drive from me. I have visited three of these several times and have made several purchases of fabric, patterns, or notions from two of them. I have been to many quilt shops all over Michigan and other states as well when traveling. I can think of only three or maybe 4 shops that had really great prices. The one nearest me has fantastic prices, normally about $5 a yard and every month she puts something on sale for $4 or $4.50 - like black and whites one month or flannels one month, etc. One of the other quilt shops that is an hour away has good prices as well, $5, $6, or at the most $7 a yard (even Jinny Beyer's gorgeous fabrics.) The third shop is also an hour away and I have stopped there several times, but the only purchase I've ever made is a couple of fat quarters. Everything else is priced soooo high, I just can't afford it. There is a LQS in Port Huron that is HUGE and I bet at least 1/3 of her fabric is half off the regular price, which makes it either $3 or $4 a yard. Now here's my question. These quilt shops are always busy, and seem to be doing very well in this economy. So, why do other quilt shops charge $10 a yard and up?? It seems like they would make more money if they had lower prices and more sales and sold a lot more! And it would help quilters to keep quilting, keep buying more and they would always come back. Most of us don't have unlimited funds to buy fabric and we want good fabric at reasonable prices! And the woman at the closest shop is so warm and friendly... not only will she greet you, chat with you, help you find fabrics, she will also invite you into her house (attached) for coffee cake or cinnamon rolls!!!
Where at in Port Huron? I've been to Sew Elegant; is there another one?
Old 06-25-2010, 05:00 PM

Sew Elegant is the one I was talking about!! So big and so many sale fabrics! I love it there. Wish I still lived close.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:09 PM

Sew Elegant is the one I was talking about!! So big and so many sale fabrics! I love it there. Wish I still lived close.
Love Sew Elegant! I used to get there a lot because my parents had a trailer at the campground close by and we would go camping a lot. This will be the first summer since they have sold the trailer so now I have no reason to drive the hour to get up there. The only thing I don't really like about the shop is that she has her fabrics sorted by color so it is really hard to find anything if you are looking for something like Civil War reproductions.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
Love Sew Elegant! I used to get there a lot because my parents had a trailer at the campground close by and we would go camping a lot. This will be the first summer since they have sold the trailer so now I have no reason to drive the hour to get up there. The only thing I don't really like about the shop is that she has her fabrics sorted by color so it is really hard to find anything if you are looking for something like Civil War reproductions.
The only other problem I've encountered there is all the fabric bolts on the floor in front of other fabrics on the bottom shelf!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Google Goddess

I went to a new LQS that just opened up in May last Thursday and before I got in the door both owners said hi to me and one employee, they were very nice and friendly

they were having cake, punch, cookies and muffins for grand opening but I didn't know that before. I was on my way to hear Pat Knoechel, speaker at a local quilt guild meeting. Pat is so funny and she is sister of Eleanor Burns.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
let me stress, first of all, that i would never try to change the mind of a diehard LQSer. that will absolutely not be the point of my comment here.

if fewer people are shopping at LQS it's because (1) fewer people can afford the ever-increasing prices; or (2) fewer people are willing to pay the ever-increasing prices; or both. inconvenient hours are also a contributing factor.

i have a great deal of human-being-to-human-being sympathy for a good person who's done her best for her customers but must, nonetheless, close her doors.

but i will not accept blame, feel shame, or take on unfounded guilt because i chose to not rearrange my whole life to squeeze in time to buy things i don't want or need from a place that charges more than i can afford.

if there was an LQS in my town, and the hours were convenient, and the service was good, and the selection of fabrics and notions was good, and the prices were in a range affordable to the average person, and they didn't bash and trash fabrics sold elsewhere, i would be a loyal patron.

however, my loyalty would not be based on some odd notion that I owe that loyalty to the shop. i would do it in hope that LQS would stay in business for my convenience and benefit and for that of my fellow quilters. we do not owe any business our custom.

if you love your LQS and want to help it stay afloat, then i encourage you to do that. just don't beat yourself up if you don't or can't.
AMEN!!!!