Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What notions are a waste of money? >

What notions are a waste of money?

What notions are a waste of money?

Old 11-11-2010, 05:09 PM

I bought the round metal wire circle thing with a hanger to hang rulers on to keep them together. The problem is the one you need is always the one in the middle and turning the wire lets others fall off except the one you're trying to get at.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:09 PM

I agree. Zoo had bought one too and finally threw mine out tooZ
Old 11-11-2010, 05:10 PM

I bought 5/8" clear plastic tubing (with a slit down the side) & my hubby used his box cutter to cut small rounds which I use to keep my thread on the bobbins.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bubblegum0077
I don't buy a lot of notions simply because I think they are a waste of money. I try to keep my stuff as simple as possible because I use it often. I have a plastic tower with 7 drawers on wheels I got at walmart and most of my notions are in that. Little plastic containers divide my threads and bobbins I have marked "hand quilting thread" and "machine quilting thread" and I keep those bobbins with the matchine threads. Other drawers hold rotary blades, scizzors, adhesive spray, starch, bla bla bla you get the idea. I would rather spend my money on fabric and batting instead of junk I don't need.
Limiting my quilting to simple basics is not the way I like to quilt.

One good use for the donut bobbin keepers is to wind bobbins with as many different colors as you have and fill up the donut. You will always have the right color for all your handsewing projects in one place. :-D
Old 11-11-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by terry leffler
I bought 5/8" clear plastic tubing (with a slit down the side) & my hubby used his box cutter to cut small rounds which I use to keep my thread on the bobbins.
i just posted a picture of mine..the very same thing! awesome!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:23 PM

It's like a plastic awl tool.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:27 PM

Those home made nylon scrubers work also those net puffs for the bath work to clean off the mats.
Originally Posted by Carron
every so often I will use a "S.O.S." pad and rub the mat ....or a fine sand paper works also. Use the pad dry but be sure to wipe the map off really well, don't want any fragments from the S.O.S pad left for this would play havic on your cutter.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:32 PM

Bought a small Shark iron. It does steam or dry. Doesn't take up as much room on my desk, and very lightweight.
Also bought a small cutting mat, about 6X8. Keep it on the desk to keep smaller blocks square as I sew. Love the CRAYOLA washable markers. Make sure they are the Crayola one. Bought another brand and had a hard time getting out the markings. Also, READ THE DIRECTIONS on how to wash out the marks
Old 11-11-2010, 05:38 PM

Been following the latest thread on misc. items needed and un needed or unused. One of the things I noticed was the question in getting rid of the nicks and little cuts in your cutting mat. I have had the same one 30" x 36" for a good 15 years. I really do not remember who mentioned this me, but was told to use one of the metal mesh things for cleaning frying pans that aren't tylon. It's the one without the soap in it and I use use it to rub gently over the top of the cutting mat and it appears to work fine. I did FINALLY realize that you can turn your mat around periodically so you are not always cutting from the same side. DUH!!!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:48 PM

I hung a flannel back table cloth (flannel side up) on my wall as my quilt design board. I like to make a block and place it on the "board" make another block, place it on the board, and continue this way until I have the complete quilt up. Then I can decide if I want to move the blocks to different places on the board to make a different design before I sew them together. Once I have decided which way I like it, I can take each block off one by one to sew together and don't get them confused. Plus the tablecloth is a lot cheaper than a design board.