Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash question >

Stash question

Stash question

Old 12-17-2010, 06:15 AM

I have lots of stash, but never the right colors to complete, so always seem to "need" one more perfect color to go with. As far as amounts, it depends on the fabric- 3 yards, fat quarters and yd pieces are usually what I purchase.Then the horse panels well that is another story!
I have recently been doing 30's Fabrics in a Farmers Wife Sampler so keep an eye out for them now, and that's usually fat quarters.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:17 AM

Just to give you an idea, I put in a picture. That cart has everything I own related to sewing, other than my machine. The bottom drawer is my printed fabrics. Yep, that's all the quilting fabrics I own. The next drawer up is batting, linen, muslin, and interfacing. The next drawer is notions and the top drawer is tools. I keep my scrap bin and thread box on top of the cart. You can see from the reference guides of the 8 month old kitten to the left and the queen sized package of W&N to the right, it's a very small cart. And I can still pull projects out of my stash. If you're willing to work with what you have, get creative, and go scrappy, you can do a lot.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-144138.jpe  
Old 12-17-2010, 06:28 AM

I've been "collecting stash" for lots of years with the excuse I'm building my stash so I'll have lots of fabric when I retire and I won't have to buy anything, but the truth is, I just love fabrics and when I'm in a JoAnn's or Hancock's or a quilt shop, I buy what I like. I usually buy a yard if I like it and if I love it I buy more. I also buy on-line a lot. My stash is getting larger and larger, but I don't care. I'll still buy fabric.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:36 AM

I have everything from whole bolts of fabric to small fat quarters.
It just depends on the fabric, if it is something I will/can use in lots of quilts as it is a neutral that will not go out of style and its a great price ... I buy lots , sometimes the bolt. Becasue when in doubt they can be backings.
If its a trendy fabric but exceptional , mimium one yard maybe three depending on price. This depends also on wher ein the quilt I think it may end up . if it is going to be a border fabric , Three yards.
I do tend to look at the fabric and how difficult it will be to find compatable fabrics. This was a lesson learned the hard way. Some fabics are spectacular but are very hard to get enough compatable fabrics to make a interesting quilt.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:51 AM

Finally, someone like me. I joined a Yahoo group called Stashbusters just for this very reason although I spend much more time here than there because this is such an active forum. I, too, am buying my last fabric only for two more weeks. I didn't realize what a stash I had until I was down here last night from 1 a.m to 4 a.m. organizing it by color and putting it in separate decorated boxes. Box with the most red on it gets red fabric, etc. My closet is all nicely organized and I have a separate clear plastic container for scraps, just one. :-P

You should look at some of the swaps. It is a great place to use up your scraps.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:19 AM

I have an answer different than the others here. I buy a lot of kits. I do this for a couple reasons. First of all, it's easy and I don't have to think about getting all the fabrics of a quilt that I'm wanting to make--it's all right there. Secondly, I might not get to making that quilt for a time so when I finally do get around to doing one that I've been dying to make--all I need do is pull it off the shelf and get to it.
Oh yeah, my stash (particularly of kits) is the stuff of legends among my friends. They often tell my husband that when I die, they want to come help him "manage my sewing studio" and "help him dispose of everything!" Ha!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-144186.jpe  
Old 12-17-2010, 07:25 AM

Sunnycat: I find those drawers extremely helpful - you can see from the front and sides what's in them without rooting thru a box.

I have quite a few of them - the smaller ones to hold things marking pencils, rulers, etc.Dodee
Old 12-17-2010, 07:49 AM

LakesideQuilter...Very Impressive!! I like that, I have a lot of mine in baggies...the quart and gallon size but don't have near as much as you...I probably would if I have the room though.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Cyn
3 rooms full :)All but one room is all cotton! The other has a mix but this is rather outrageous.
WOW!!!!!! I'd sure love to see pics of this!!!!! :shock: :lol:
Old 12-17-2010, 09:33 AM

Well I have a large Stash. If I know what I am designing and making I buy a little more fabric than I need for the project. If it is an unknown project( I just love the Fabric) I buy 2 yards of all the coordinating fabrics. I have everything from fat quarters to 4 yard pieces in my normal Stash. I do have a lot of fabric. I love it all. So does my non quilter daughter. She is an artist and loves to help me pull fabric for projects. I do organize it all buy color and type(ie Christmas and 30's fabric seperate from the general fabric in the Stash. It is all folded and easy to get at on the shelves.
Luann