Cleaning Laminate floors

Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 PM

Katie, I've been using the Pergo cleaner made for laminate flooring. I get it at Home Depot. It's not cheap, but a fine spray & it goes a long way. I also use a micro-fiber mop that is FLAT. The removable pad is held on with velcro-like spikes on the mop head.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Power Poster

I use white vinegar and water too.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:01 PM

I like the steamer the best but use Bona once and awhile just to make it really shine. I have laminate that two dogs mess up every day.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:47 PM

When we installed our laminate about 8-9yrs ago, the guy at Lowes told us to make sure and never use any product that was made for a wood floor. Told us it would ruin the floor. We used white vinegar and water.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:32 PM

I love my Shark!! It comes with a special microfibre pad that is just for laminates. They also told us to never leave standing water on the floor. The Shark cleans it and it dries immediately!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:54 PM

I have light oak, satin finished, laminate and have had all the same problems everyone has mentioned. I have used window cleaner, a weak mix of ammonia and water, a mix of vinegar and water, a mix of alcohol and water, as well as my steam cleaner, and I still got water spots, streaks and footprints.

In a spray bottle, I decided to use some liquid water softner (used for laundry) in the water to soften it, and hopefully get rid of the water spots, and it worked, but I still had steaks and footprints. Next I used the softened water and cut it in half with white vinegar. That worked only if I used a soft absorbant cloth to dry the floor (I actually threw down a towel and did the twist on it in stocking feet!) and that worked great. Soften water and alcohol had the same effect, but still needed drying with a soft cloth.

So now, I wash the floor with a microfiber pad and softened water until clean. Then I go over it with a very light spray of vinegar and soft water and swab till dry.

I think the reason for water spots is hard water, the reason for streaks is either a film from the cleaners, or remaining dirt, and the footprints are either the film from the cleaners or the finish of the floor has been softened by the cleaner used.

I will never buy them again. They look great but are just too much work to keep them clean, especially in the winter.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:32 AM

Same here :D Works on laminate as well as natural tile floors.

Originally Posted by BMP
Vinegar and water in a swiffer for me too....
Old 01-05-2011, 02:30 AM

Iknow one thing for sure and that is that I will never install laminate floors again. I hate the stuff. I know that I have a problem because I have an older dog that has puddling accidents frequently and I have to clean up right away. However, sometimes depending on how the light falls on the floor you don't always see these puddles so between that and the frequent cleaning the floors have been ruined. The installer did not mention until after the floor had been laid that I should not use water on the floors, only a spray cleaner which does not clean the floors. I even bought a Haan floor steamer, but that isn't good either because it leaves the floor wet enough for moisture to seep into the seams of the floor and leaves it dull looking. When I clean a floor I don't want to go over it 2-3 times to get all the moisture off. I have better things to do other than constantly cleaning the floor. The only thing that ever left it looking half way decent was mixing Murphys Oil Soap with warm water and even that didn't last long. Sorry folks I just had to vent on this subject.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 AM

Katie

When I clean my hardwood floors, or laminate floors all I ever used was a damp cloth with vinegar and water. Give that a try with your Swiffer mop when you have an empty container, simply put about 4 ounces of vinegar to 4 cups of water. This should let your floor dry on it's own without the water marks. (1ounce vinegar per cup of water)

Please keep me posted. TreeFrog
Old 01-05-2011, 08:04 AM

What percentage of water/vinegar do you use for a laminate floor? I've been using Pinesol - now I understand why the floors look cloudy.....also do you spray on the vinegar/water or mix it in a bucket? Helpful thread - thanks!