Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Dear Jane E12, G9, H5, BR11 Paper Piecing >

Dear Jane E12, G9, H5, BR11 Paper Piecing

Dear Jane E12, G9, H5, BR11 Paper Piecing

Old 01-10-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I always iron my seams open.When you are working on minis the raised edge you get from pressing to the dark is so much more noticable in minis. The open seam works so much better for me. Some seams will tend to fold over but I get the majority to lay flat. I spray with sizing and iron if it doesn't. I iron the dickens out of mine. I don't press I iron it within an inch of it's life because I want it flat! I never seem to have a distortion problem at least not one I have noticed.
There's always the sledge hammer for the flatest of flat!
Old 01-10-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sheree from Chicago
I always iron my seams open.When you are working on minis the raised edge you get from pressing to the dark is so much more noticable in minis. The open seam works so much better for me. Some seams will tend to fold over but I get the majority to lay flat. I spray with sizing and iron if it doesn't. I iron the dickens out of mine. I don't press I iron it within an inch of it's life because I want it flat! I never seem to have a distortion problem at least not one I have noticed.
ROTFLMAO

I can just picture it!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:25 AM

I am just finishing set one, thank goodness that set two looks so much easier!
I always iron my seams open and while I may sew them at a quarter inch, I trim them down to 1/8 inch. I am going to do my quilting so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll know that I have to give extra support to the seams.
Another thing I have been doing is to use the templates. When I cut the fabric, I cut them larger then the templates. Does take a few seconds longer but seems to work so much better. Takes less fabric also.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:44 AM

Hi Sunrise!
I'm cutting my seam allowance to 1/8 also. There's just too much bulk!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Banned

Hi Sunrise!
I'm cutting my seam allowance to 1/8 also. There's just too much bulk!
i'm doing this for my miniature jane
Old 01-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
ROTFLMAO

I can just picture it!
HHmmmm I have one of those somewhere now where did I put that thing?? LOL

I was crushing peppermint candy canes to put in divinity before Christmas and I was using my rollling pin. I complained that it wasn' t working as well as I wanted so DH says use the hammer! DUh! That is what I usually use! I just plain forgot! And guess what it does the job!!
Old 01-12-2010, 06:48 PM

I did a block yesterday and one today then realized that I was doing week 3. :-D I don't guess it matters. That E12 block was a bear.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I did a block yesterday and one today then realized that I was doing week 3. :-D I don't guess it matters. That E12 block was a bear.
LOL, thats the killer block so far for the project.

i'll be making mine again.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:21 AM

E12 was a bear!! I don't know if I'm redoing...but it makes me dread blocks that look hard from the get go.

KLue, i was going to start working on a tutorial for some of the curved blocks. Which ones are first, any idea? Also, any suggestions on making the tute...should I put it into a word document, then it can be downloaded? I have never made one before and want to do it as easy and transferrable as possible...I will need to be able to spend lots of time editing as it will be my first one.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
E12 was a bear!! I don't know if I'm redoing...but it makes me dread blocks that look hard from the get go.

KLue, i was going to start working on a tutorial for some of the curved blocks. Which ones are first, any idea? Also, any suggestions on making the tute...should I put it into a word document, then it can be downloaded? I have never made one before and want to do it as easy and transferrable as possible...I will need to be able to spend lots of time editing as it will be my first one.
i prefer either Word or PDF (some MAC people can't open word) for tutes that way people can download them and keep them.

i'm certainly not the best person at making tutes, i find explaining sewing processes in word a bit murky so i just use a lot of pics.

i've been thinking about have DH film some of the tutes for this very reason.

as far as curves coming up.....

we have F9, depending on how people want to attack that block, it could be made many ways - thats in February 22, 2010.

then we have H11, not sure if its a curve or a Y or some kind of hybrid, thats March 1, 2010.

and we have I4, which is kind of like F9, it can be attacked a few ways. thats in the same week as H11 - March 1, 2010.