Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Dear Jane E12, G9, H5, BR11 Paper Piecing >

Dear Jane E12, G9, H5, BR11 Paper Piecing

Dear Jane E12, G9, H5, BR11 Paper Piecing

Old 01-13-2010, 07:17 AM

Okay, I'll get cracking on them to see what I can do. Filming is great...I think lots and lots of visual is best with this stuff. When I use it, I often put the computer right next to my sewing and go step by step. I did it yesterday with Week 3's triangle...It just didn't look like it was going to be a triangle when I laid it out, so I just matched it, bit by bit with the picture. Who the hell came up with paper piecing...just amazes me to know end. Sorta like the TV...how it works, I'll never know or understand (and don't need any dissertations on it)...just glad it does!
Old 01-13-2010, 07:30 AM

My E12 center squares don't meet in the corners... which really puzzles me because how can it not meet when paper piecing?

I'm NOT doing it again. It can just go ahead and stay like that.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
E12 was a bear!! I don't know if I'm redoing...but it makes me dread blocks that look hard from the get go.

KLue, i was going to start working on a tutorial for some of the curved blocks. Which ones are first, any idea? Also, any suggestions on making the tute...should I put it into a word document, then it can be downloaded? I have never made one before and want to do it as easy and transferrable as possible...I will need to be able to spend lots of time editing as it will be my first one.
Back in the olden days, I used to write computer manuals. Now I can't even program the dvd. *sigh* ;-)

It's important to keep each step simple.... and to break the steps up, whether it's with numbers, paragraphs, whatever, there's gotta be visual breaks otherwise it's overwhelming.

Too much is better than too little.... more advanced people will simply skip over the obvious steps. But be careful not to put far too much in and if something is really important use bold or some way to highlight it, especially if it's after a section some might skip.

Pictures are really good for something like this, but some people do better with words, so you gotta do both well and they have to match, the picture has to show what the words are describing.

And a little humour or "personality" makes people more likely to read the whole thing rather than skip bits. A smiley face, informal language, that sort of thing. ;-)
Old 01-13-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I did a block yesterday and one today then realized that I was doing week 3. :-D I don't guess it matters. That E12 block was a bear.
I think there are going to be a lot of wild ones in this project! But we all have each other! XO
Old 01-19-2010, 04:41 PM

I just ordered my Dear Jane software!!! How happy is that!?! Maybe I will even be able to work it. I will be behind, but this site is wonderful and I can't wait!!
Diana
Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
I just ordered my Dear Jane software!!! How happy is that!?! Maybe I will even be able to work it. I will be behind, but this site is wonderful and I can't wait!!
Diana
Yayyyyyy!!

You'll be fine.... the software is easy to use and if you have any questions just yell. Between us all we can usually work it out. :-)
Old 01-19-2010, 05:22 PM

I'm a klutz with the pc.............so stand by!!! LOL
Old 01-19-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
I'm a klutz with the pc.............so stand by!!! LOL
LOL

EQ also have a great forum for asking questions on, they're really helpful.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:40 PM

It won't take you long at all to catch up! Glad you got the software and are joining.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:49 PM

I hope it doesn't take too long to catch up. Doing 4 blocks a week isn't too bad when it's PP. By hand is another story! Thanks for the encouragement.