• Does Your Husband Help With Chores?

Old 12-28-2010, 06:18 AM

My DH cannot sweep--But can cook, vaccum and most everthing
    else. I cook and he does the cleaning up, which I think is
    wonderful.We have been maried 58 yrs. and really enjoy life
    God bless

dude
    Old 12-28-2010, 06:29 AM

My husband and I are retired. He helps a lot. Now that he's back on his feet having had breast cancer, modified radical mastectomy, chemo and radiation, he's very much part of keeping house as well as outside grass cutting and yard work during warmer weather. He does easy meals, pasta and reheats. We grocery shop together, or he shops alone.
    I had to adjust to his being around a lot and getting into what was once my territory. We're settled in now and enjoying our retired life together and thanking God for it. As he said, he's looked the grim reaper in the face and now he savors each day.
    Old 12-28-2010, 07:29 AM

I had to laugh at some of the comments - and I can relate to many - mine is good at anything he puts his mind to - but after doing for himself for long enough - suddenly I came into the picture and many times he acquires amnesia as to how to do ?????? So, we do a quick brush up on the how-to's and all of a sudden, he wants to take over cooking, dishes and etc; then he is off in another direction for awhile - oh well, I love him dearly - whatever he is doing - it is always for the benefit of us both.
    Old 12-28-2010, 07:33 AM
    Power Poster

Mine doesn't really and if he does he is more work then it is worth just like yours. It seems to work better for us if he has his jobs of fixing and bringing down the trash and I do my end.
    Old 12-28-2010, 08:07 AM

My husband of 47 years is amazing. He has pitched in on every aspect of housework all the years of our marriage. I can relate to the explicit directions that are sometimes needed and when I'm ready to tear my hair out I think I'd rather do it myself. But, he tries and a lot of men won't even do that. He doesn't understand how I can get so excited over a piece of cloth, but he will wait an hour for dinner when a project is close to completion.
    Old 12-28-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    i'm confused.

you feel inconvenienced because your husband wants to contribute to the housework?
    he wants to do a chore but apparently isn't sure how to do it correctly?

where's the problem? sounds more like an opportunity to me.

if you show him - without foolishly making him feel like a useless idiot - he'll be able and willing to do that chore more often.
    I agree!!! My husband does outside chores, mowing, shoveling, laundry (when I need help or am busy) cleaning floors, etc. The only thing he doesn't do is much cooking, but that is okay. He is a gem!!! We have been married 50 years and the responsibilities have shifted throughout the years.
    Old 12-28-2010, 08:18 AM

I've always said that my dh is a better wife than I am. His "job" is dishes/kitchen clean up, but he does laundry, sometimes cooking, straightening, 99% the outside work, and anything else if I asked him. I'm still in the wake-up mode and he's already done two projects (his work is seasonal so he's home more now). He's amazing.
    Old 12-28-2010, 08:18 AM

ha,haa, the one time my ex tried to 'help' it was like that.... my darling husband is far more likely to do housework than I am these days! ( without being asked) he's doing the dishes as I type! GOD I LOVE THAT MAN!
    Old 12-28-2010, 08:24 AM

My Husband WILL NOT go into my sewing room. And he definately WILL NOT CLEAN it up. He cleaned it up only one time...and lived to regret it (the cold shoulder in the bedroom). So now, if I want my room cleaned I do it myself, but as it is it is only cluttered. I have 2 bookshelves that I use for fabric, containers, sewing stuff. I am able to find anything and everything I am looking for. I am able to get to my sewing machine table, and to my huge huge 36 inches high sewing table that is 60"x60". And thats all I need. :) Oh and he does help out around the house. His main job is the Laundry. :) And my whites are still white.
    Old 12-28-2010, 08:39 AM

My husband and I are on opposite shifts. He works 4-10 hr shifts and does not get home until 6pm. On the days that I work (I work every other weekend) and days in the week, my hours are 2pm-midnight. He has his chores, he empties the dishwasher (I fill it), he does the vacuuming, and he takes out the garbage and trash. I do the rest and devote at least an hour a day in my sewing room.