Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Firemen collecting money on the street >
  • Firemen collecting money on the street

• Firemen collecting money on the street

Old 08-28-2011, 12:49 PM
    Power Poster

Thanks for all of the replies. I just wondered what everyone thought. I guess I don't leave home very often, because I didn't know about this program and had never seen anyone in the street asking for money.

I support the firemen and what they are trying to do, I still question how safe it is for them to be standing in the middle of a very busy street.
    Old 08-28-2011, 12:50 PM

Weekend before last the firemen came through the dog show with boots in hand. It took a minute to figure out what they were doing-always paramedics on hand. Figured out by the sirens all weekend long that the station was very close!
    I don't mind the collection, but am concerned about their safety in the streets. I was APPALLED when I saw children in the street doing this, with their parents blessing. I'm guessing 9-12 years old (?). Traffic was backed up for blocks, because they were in and out of moving traffic. Beyond stupid in my opinion. Risking your kid's life to raise money for sports equipment? :thumbdown:
    Old 08-28-2011, 03:00 PM

Those fireman are real eye candy, don't ya think and they are giving up their time off to do this for people who need it. I have seen them in a couple of places in my running around area. I gave at one place and said "they all ready got me in Aloha(Or), sorry guys! But good luck filling those boots." to the next ones. They all just smile back and tell me to have a good day. Look at it as positive. :lol: :lol: :lol: Jan
    Old 08-28-2011, 03:00 PM

Those fireman are real eye candy, don't ya think and they are giving up their time off to do this for people who need it. I have seen them in a couple of places in my running around area. I gave at one place and said "they all ready got me in Aloha(Or), sorry guys! But good luck filling those boots." to the next ones. They all just smile back and tell me to have a good day. Look at it as positive. :lol: :lol: :lol: Jan
    Old 08-28-2011, 04:01 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I respect that. That being said I have to say that I am surprised by some of the responses here. What the firemen are doing has nothing to do with them. It is a selfless act for the benefit of their community. If people are objecting to what they are doing that objection has nothing to do with the firemen but rather has to do with the ego of the person who is objecting. Even if you don't have money to put in the boot there is a lot that you can do to help. How about stopping at the store and getting them something cool to drink on a hot day (you could also get some change for their boot), or plan for next year. Make a quilt and donate it to the fire department to raffle off and then they can donate the money to their boot cause. Be strong as a community.
    Old 08-28-2011, 04:19 PM

its great my boss can not understand why I walk to the street before I come in to give a few bucks even when I am late. ( I work in a gas station and they are right there on the corner)
    Old 08-28-2011, 05:24 PM

They have been doing this for years around here and it is for a good cause. You don't have to give but can if you want to! :D
    Old 08-29-2011, 12:44 AM

Here they collect for the local Burn Center. They don't do it a lot but I'd go out of my way to give. My life has been blessed to not need those firemen at my house. Plus I don't know of anyone personally who has been burned. Thank you God.
    Old 08-29-2011, 01:32 AM

they do it here every year. i always try to have at least some change or a dollar or two. some of them are soooo cute
    Old 08-29-2011, 03:05 AM

Here in Louisville it is a common site... Kosair Shriners collect every year for the hospital here in town. They care for children who cannot afford hospital care. It is a no cost hospital, or pay what you can if you can. We also have drives for other charitable organizations like Muscular Dystrphy, St. Jude, Crusade for Children ( a really big drive here in the spring). I have gotten so used to them that sometimes I just drive by. Most of these organizations collect in our churches as well.
    We pick and choose who we donate to.