Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Anyone else on a budget? >
  • Anyone else on a budget?

• Anyone else on a budget?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:22 PM

Ha, are you kidding? I'm so poor I don't need a budget !
    I throw all the bills up in the air and which ever of them lands face up, I pay ----- If it adds up to too much--I pay the ones that are face down.
    My money is tight, I live on Social Security. I hit garage sales on Saturday's, and the first thing I ask is if they have any sewing materials.
    One time my son came home with 5 big black garbage bags and 2 boxes full of material all for $10.00. I kept what I wanted and sold the rest on Craig's list for $20.00 dollars. Lots of great pieces, 4 and 5 yards each. The grandmother passed away and the daughter didn't sew, so she sold everthing.
    Syl
    Old 03-07-2011, 07:27 PM

I have always been frugal, I think I was born that way. I remember my stepfather saying when I was a kid that I could squeeze a nickle til it turned into a dime. That doesn't mean I don't like nice things or splurge once in a while, but my splurging is usually planned. I'm alone on social security and do fine, because I'm aware of every penny I spend.
    Old 03-07-2011, 07:40 PM
    Power Poster

We have been on a budget for years and it does work. Sometimes it's really hard to keep to it with everything going on in your life but then you have to make due.
    Old 03-07-2011, 07:57 PM

I have never been on a budget in my life...or needed one...not that I am rich or anything close to that...but both my husband and I learned from our immigrant parents who arrived to this country with nothing...my mothe never worked, my parents had 6 kids, my father was the sole provider...no such thing as a budget... paid for the house first, as fast as possible, then bought the necessities...food, clothing, other bills...never owned a credit card...we have done the same..anything that goes on credit card will be paid the next month...doesn't get purchased unless there is money to pay for it...never interest payments...spend carefully, and if there is money left over, save some and spend a little on "extra's"...it has worked so far...
    Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 PM

I am on SSI fixed income. I allow myself so much per month spending money.Sometimes I let it build up and then go fabric, thread or whatever shopping then start all over again!!Somtimes I go blow it all right then LOL
    Old 03-07-2011, 10:12 PM
    Dee

I have always and always will be on a budget. Now especially when we are retired. :)
    Old 03-08-2011, 04:38 AM

I put myself on a budget of $20 a month. Once it is gone, then nothing for the rest of the month. I also try to only buy what I need for a particular project. I do have a list that is kept with the money for things I need to find. Seems to be working
    Old 03-08-2011, 04:38 AM

I put myself on a budget of $20 a month. Once it is gone, then nothing for the rest of the month. I also try to only buy what I need for a particular project. I do have a list that is kept with the money for things I need to find. Seems to be working
    Old 03-08-2011, 07:13 AM

Strict Budget forever------secret to being able to retire!
    Old 03-08-2011, 07:35 AM
    Power Poster

I didn't think SS was suppose to be the principal retirement income, only supplement retirement income. It's scary how many people do not save or plan for retirement. My first real paycheck I put 10% in a retirement fund, not enough for me to miss and just enough to get the ball rolling. I remember at age eighteen feeling so responsible by having a retirement account. It's was my security blanket.