Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? >
  • Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

• Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:40 AM

I had home ec many moons ago. The room consisted of 2 parts, one cooking, the other sewing. Half the school term was cooking, the other half sewing. I loved cooking, and was getting the hang of sewing. Made a dress and then we had a classroom fashion show. (My mom, helped me with the zipper) I was getting frazzled with it. We were allowed to bring our sewing home, and I was sure glad of that. I did not do much sewing until about 11 years ago when I wanted some curtains. Took measurements, bought fabric, and went home and made them, without a pattern even. They turned out great. Did a lot of other stuff without patterns too.
    Old 08-30-2011, 08:47 AM
    Suz

No, I learned from my Mother and Grandmother. Both were pretty good at it. I was 9 when I made my first piece of clothing, a pair of PJs.

My daughter also learned early. She made a red corduroy jumper when she was in first grade and wore it for her school picture. She was always hanging around my machine when I wanted to use it, so we purchased her first very basic machine for when she was 8 and she used it all the way thru nursing school.

So far, we have no one in the next generation except for one. Unfortunately, she lives in Florida and I, in Pennsylvania.
    Old 08-30-2011, 08:53 AM

Yes, I did. In the 8th grade my first project was a three pocket apron and then a summer top with a button at the back of the neck. In the tenth grade I made a yellow sheath dress (that's where I was when we learned JFK had been shot). I made several dresses on my mother's treadle sewing machine after that.
    Old 08-30-2011, 08:57 AM

No, I was too busy in the music department, choir, band and orchestra. Grandmother and mother made all our clothes and I just learned by watching. Made my first quilt for my Father, when the first grandchild died at birth in the '70's.
    Old 08-30-2011, 09:03 AM

I learned to sew at home. At age 6 my mother had me at the machine sitting on a pile of pillows and phone books. By the time I got to high school home economics classes the teachers did not know what to do with the two or three of us who could sew, cook, can/freeze and handle a budget.

I made a swimming suit and a blazer with self bound buttons for my first projects. The other gals were making a-line skirts and putting in their first zippers. I really am not bragging but my mother just did a really good job at teaching me at home how to be a home maker.
    Old 08-30-2011, 09:05 AM

Mom taught me to sew when I was well under 10 y/o when she had to make all my clothes because I was a "chubby" size. I struggled some in Home Ec because mom knew how to sew better than my teacher was teaching us.
    Old 08-30-2011, 09:06 AM

Yes, in my senior yr of high school. First half was sewing (did ok), second half was cooking. I still hate jello :mrgreen:
    Old 08-30-2011, 09:07 AM

Yes, Jr. High Home Ec. I made a lot of my clothes through high school and beyond.
    Old 08-30-2011, 09:08 AM

Yes, home economics is still taught in high school but it is under several different names now. This is actually the department that I teach with at the university. (One unit of our department is a teacher training major for the folks who want to teach the new version of home economics. I do not teach sewing.
    Old 08-30-2011, 09:13 AM

No, I learned to sew when I was 8 yrs old. I took home ec, but only frustrated the teacher because I didn't like wasting time measuring pattern to fold to make sure it was perfectly straight & my sister had made her wedding gown in her class so she thought I should do the same. Was always trying to get me into some competition.