Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anyone else have this problem? >
  • Does anyone else have this problem?

• Does anyone else have this problem?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by suebee
    Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I learned not to compare my quilts to others or I would give on quilting. I love quilting, I have my own style and I love my finished quilts so that's all that matters to me.
    AMEN SISTA! great response. :thumbup:
    I agree, I quilt for pleasure and do my best, that's all any of us can do. don't be so hard on your self, admire your own work..
    Old 09-02-2011, 08:12 PM

I love quilting,if i'm good or bad at the end of the day the only person I have to satisfy is ME.
    Old 09-02-2011, 11:12 PM

which is more important perfction or the enjoyment of creating some thing wonderful . I would have loved to have gone to Oxford or Cambridge /Havard Yale etc . it was never going to happen.We are all different . it took me until I was 70 before I realised this and accept I am who I am imperfections and all . My quilts may not be as good as yours but better than someone who has`nt tried making one.To me it is in the creating that gives me sooooo much pleasure.
    Rant over.
    Old 09-03-2011, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by A1penny
    All my non-quilting friends think I'm a quilting genius.....so, I've finally stopped pointing out the tiny mistakes and just let them think that. I enjoy what I do....even with all the mix-ups and errors.
    :) :) :) :)
    Old 09-03-2011, 12:49 AM

Take a class. No book can equal a teacher who is there to guide you. A teacher can check how you are doing and help you make corrections. I've been quilting about 15 years and I take classes all the time. I always learn something new.
    Old 09-03-2011, 03:22 AM

All the time. I regard each project as a learning curve. Hopefully, one day I will make a near perfect quilt. Don't be discouraged.
    Old 09-03-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by rona thickpenny
    which is more important perfction or the enjoyment of creating some thing wonderful . I would have loved to have gone to Oxford or Cambridge /Havard Yale etc . it was never going to happen.We are all different . it took me until I was 70 before I realised this and accept I am who I am imperfections and all . My quilts may not be as good as yours but better than someone who has`nt tried making one.To me it is in the creating that gives me sooooo much pleasure.
    Rant over.
    good for you sorry it took you so long to decide YOU are the first to please. . enjoy your quilts I do mine.
    Old 09-03-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    Everybody has different skill levels, and some I believe just have the gift of an artists eye, not everyone is born with that, but we are all creative. I'm sure you have improved and you are just being too hard on yourself. you don't become a Rembrandt overnight. It takes years of practice. Maybe you need to try new techniques maybe you'd be better at applique than traditional or paper piecing, maybe you haven't found you niche in quilting yet. Don't give up you'll get there
    Great advice!
    Old 09-03-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
    Originally Posted by A1penny
    All my non-quilting friends think I'm a quilting genius.....so, I've finally stopped pointing out the tiny mistakes and just let them think that. I enjoy what I do....even with all the mix-ups and errors.
    :) :) :) :)
    YEA!!! if they can't see the mistakes regardless of size don't show them, it's in the eyes of the beholder. I rip out alot of seams but that's to please me not some one else. enjoy quilting don't make it a contest...
    Old 09-03-2011, 12:23 PM
    Power Poster

I listen to any criticism of my quilts but don't care about any of it. I have very thick skin and very seldom does any negative comments get through to my heart. I quilt because I love doing it and that's all that means anything to me. Some quilts are not as nice as I would liked to have made them. One quilt that was horrible made and I knew it, I entered in a local quilt show because I loved the colors and design and it made me feel good to look at it. I heard plenty of negative comments from other quilters but guess what? I won Viewer's Choice of the whole show! The people liked my quilt and didn't see the crooked seams or mismatched pieces.