Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • just got back from Wal-Mart... >
  • just got back from Wal-Mart...

• just got back from Wal-Mart...

Old 05-13-2010, 03:04 AM

The only thing that will work with a place like Wal-mart is a total boycott by every person who sews. If all their sales drop off they might get the message. I know I only go there IF I know the price is considerably better than anywhere else. I have found other places for most of my shopping including fabric and especially groceries. I know some are really stuck as that is the only place to shop in an area but those of us that have choices should voice our opinion with our wallets.
    Old 05-13-2010, 07:55 AM

Sylvia, I am impressed that you found my quilt pattern, given the instructions I gave you. When I followed my own instructions, I came up with a completely different quilt.

I made my quilt in January. It went together quickly. If you make it, I hope you enjoy it.

Good detective work though. When I was making my quilt, I always just googled framed nine patch, and it went right to the one I wanted. Couldn't make that happen today. The one I kept ending up with was much more complicated. Finally I came back and googled the site you had found...went right to it. :)
    Old 05-16-2010, 07:40 PM
    Google Goddess

our Walmart remodel in Indiana and closed up the fabric department to make the electronic dept. bigger, we don't shop much now at Walmart
    Old 05-19-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
    our Walmart remodel in Indiana and closed up the fabric department to make the electronic dept. bigger, we don't shop much now at Walmart
    Same here!
    Old 05-19-2010, 02:29 PM

I went to my local WM today and they still have fabric but the lady who did the cutting said they were "remodeling" next spring and to watch for sales. BUT today I found batiks, pretty ones! Not many but they were $3.97/yd. It is still nice to be able to get fabrics for a low price, just have to watch as quality is not consistent. They also had insulbright (for making potholders) for $5.97/ud.
    Old 05-27-2010, 04:49 PM

i spoke with a walmart manager the other day. he said they lose money because some clerks cut an inch or two longer than a yard or cut several inches off to "even it out" i said why punish customers retrain your clerks!!! he said easier said than done. what a shame.
    Old 05-31-2010, 06:00 AM

Most walmarts in atl went out ocf the fabric bus last year. Boohoo
    Old 05-31-2010, 10:38 AM

Well, here's my story!!! Our store is getting ready for a remodel and won't carry fabric. I went to Walmart yesterday to see what was happening in the fabric department. Earlier they had taken out half of the cutting table, and put the sewing notions at the far end of the area, and filled the space with markdown stuff from other departments. It truely looks junky!!! Yesterday a man told me that he'd heard that they were marking UP their material, not down as you would think if they were ready to get rid of it. I asked an employee, and she said yes that she'd had to mark the fabric up. Some went up a little but the $4.44 fabric went up to $4.94. I didn't buy any, I was so upset. I then went to buy 2 quilting magazines, and the register came up that they weren't in the system, so of course I couldn't buy them. I walked out of there without buying ANYTHING!!! I'm ready to stop buying things at WAlmart. The things I have bought recently have all gone up in price since I bought them, and the advertise "thousands of things marked down!!!" But not the stuff I buy, it's gone up instead. I'm ready to boycot Walmart!!!! Thanks for letting me vent. :)
    Old 05-31-2010, 10:39 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    I think if the community speaks loud enough, WalMart will keep the fabric dept in that community.
    Hasn't worked yet.
    Old 05-31-2010, 11:20 AM

Ours is a small town with a Super Wal-Mart. Lots of people petitioned Wal-Mart to keep the fabric section. The selection isn't as big as most fabric stores, but it is convenient.