Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My husband says I am not a quilter... >
  • My husband says I am not a quilter...

• My husband says I am not a quilter...

Old 08-28-2010, 02:19 AM

We must all be sisters. I have two quilts that need quitting and binding and a PP project for our daughter and a project here at the quilting board I'm working on. But is that enough, no, I went to the fabric shop and bought just a little more fabric just in case, I think I have an obsession. My DH has stopped asking what is that for. He has learned that is the wrong thing to say. I really do need to use up some of what I already have but I just can't decide what pattern will be perfect for what fabric. Do you think I need help?
    Old 08-28-2010, 02:53 AM
    Power Poster

OHH MYYY GOODNESS, I have found my long lost cousin LOL. I am exactly the same way. My DH says I am a fabric warehouse and queen of unfinished projects. I get one done about every 4 or 5 months and start 4 or 5 more in that same time. If you find out how to cure this ailment, please let me know
    I am all for the project swap
    Old 08-28-2010, 03:32 AM

The Amish style quilt sounds like a great idea - do I use solid light colors or batiks? The prints I have have flowers and scroll designs in them so maybe I can pick up on a few of those colors and get light fabric to match. Should the light be solid or have a pattern to them? I always have trouble getting the right combo and worry that it will not look right.
    Old 08-28-2010, 04:09 AM

I try to finish one project before I start another, tho I do have a paper piecing project that has been sitting for a year cause I got tied of making mistakes and can't get back into it.
    Old 08-28-2010, 04:32 AM

My husband says I'm not a "real quilter" because I make the tops and then take them to be quilted on the machine. He thinks you have to do it all to be a "quilter."

The tops is what I like to do and besides my regular sewing machine is not big enough to do the quilting.

Hey I have an idea...Maybe he could buy me a new longarm and then I could do some quilting. LOL

So as he see's it I'm a "topper", and that's fine with me... I've been called worse. LOL
    Old 08-28-2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I am the same way only difference is I decided to give away the fabrics I won't be using for the price of shipping. I may do it again in another month. I decided if I am not using it then it needs to go to someone who will.
    I see that you give away fabrics and we are a small group of charity quilters and all our quilts go to the needy. If you would be interested you can contact us at
    [email protected]
    Thanks in advance

:-D
    Old 08-28-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    My husband says that I am not a quilter, I am a "Collector"! I have so many projects started and waiting to be started that I am overwhelmed. Does anyone else feel that way? What have you done to feel better and get things done? Have you given things away just to get things to a manageable level?
    I saw a sign that says "She who has the most fabric wins!" We all gotta have a hobbie even if it is collecting stuff. We are well rounded!! LOL
    Old 08-28-2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by deanna.r
    Leonardo da Vinci went from one project to another and didn't finish a lot of what he started either!

I heard Mark Lipinski speak at the Canadian National Quilt show this spring and he said that people who design fabric, patterns, and write books aren't primarily getting you to make quilts, they're selling a dream. Some of us may not produce a lot but when we buy new fabrics and plan what we are going to do with them, we are dreaming lovely dreams

If you can afford it and are enjoying it, then quilt a little and dream a lot. If you are feeling oppressed or bothered by your fabric collection, then follow some of the good suggestions posted by other collectors on this board to pare down your stash.
    We had a speaker at our quild meeting a while back who talked about "virtual quilts" - those quilts you plan, and maybe even buy fabric for, but never finish. You can enjoy them just as much as a 'real' quilt! LOL :)
    Old 08-28-2010, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by sewhappy30
    My husband says I'm not a "real quilter" because I make the tops and then take them to be quilted on the machine. He thinks you have to do it all to be a "quilter."

The tops is what I like to do and besides my regular sewing machine is not big enough to do the quilting.

Hey I have an idea...Maybe he could buy me a new longarm and then I could do some quilting. LOL

So as he see's it I'm a "topper", and that's fine with me... I've been called worse. LOL
    I might say 'quilt designer', or how about 'quilt creator'? At the very least 'quilt piecer'.
    Old 08-28-2010, 05:49 AM

If I would quit looking at this website, buying magazines and books, maybe I wouldn't get so inspirited to start more projects! Just too many fun projects out there! My family just shakes their heads.