Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why is yellow not a popular color for quilts? >
  • Why is yellow not a popular color for quilts?

• Why is yellow not a popular color for quilts?

Old 06-03-2011, 01:03 PM

yellow is my favorite color, but come to think of it i only have one quilt i used yellow in !!
    Old 06-03-2011, 01:33 PM

Love yellow too!
    Old 06-03-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by MelodyWB
    Yellow isn't a popular color with some people..but it does wonders for a quilt..I learned that years ago..when I first started to quilt..didn't have a lot..but it can pop a quilt..I have a lot of yellow in my stash now!!
    Same here. My yellow stash got out of hand so I made:
    - a queen sized quilt made of white-white and yellow half-square triangles, 12x12 finished (the "Annie's Choice" block on www.quilterscache.com)
    - a queen sized braid quilt using a special fabric for the center squares to pull it together; and
    - a queen sized log cabin quilt

I used the leftovers to make mall-scale braids of all the yellows I used and turned them into pillow shams for the bed, guaranteed to go with any of the three quilts.
    Old 06-03-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by hoppyfrog
    I don't know if there's a reason but light yellow fabric is very hard to find. When I shop on-line that's the first thing I look for and very seldom find anything but bright yellows.
    That is so true. I love mellow yellow. Some yellows are quite harsh to me and to bright.
    Old 06-03-2011, 02:04 PM

My first quilt was a blue/yellow log cabin. I was really off the wall and wanted to do scrappy and sometimes I felt like I had 3 heads because of that. A lqs person told me to be careful with yellows, it would overwhelm the quilt. I didn't listen to her, I thought it would be gorgeous. It was, in my opinion. I have it put away, but this is what I did with the extra blocks & towels for the bedroom.
    I always use yellow and look for it everytime I shop. Bonnie Hunter has a stunning quilt in her book. It''s made with 1 1/2" strips that are cut up and re arranged, but yellow and red are her WOW colors in a dark quilt, with some other lights. It's called Perikonean Dreams. On my bucket list.
    Judi

Originally Posted by Wonnie
    Have noticed that yellow is not a very popular color for quilts. Is there a specific reason for this? It's cheerful, happy and sunny.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-206170.jpe   attachment-206171.jpe  
    Old 06-03-2011, 02:14 PM
    Banned

a bit of trivia about yellow in quilts. I was speaking to a quilt group in the area and was asked by one of the members if any yellow quilt entered in a show won a ribbon. She said a certified judge told her this. I was stumped and said "not to my knowledge" Used well it does add a sparkle to a quilt.
    Old 06-03-2011, 02:19 PM
    Bev

Have noticed that yellow is not a very popular color for quilts. Is there a specific reason for this? It's cheerful, happy and sunny.
    It's not ?? I use it a lot. I hadn't realized it was unpopular.

:?
    Old 06-03-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
    When I started putting in gardens at our home, I loaded the beds with yellow and white flowers. It was a bit bright and hot looking. I traded some of the yellow flowers for pinks and purples, added a few blues, put in more evergreen shrubs, and now it is the way we love it. I think now the yellow flowers accent rather than overwhelm.

I feel the same about yellow in quilts. I love yellow. But in quilts as in gardens, a little goes a long way.
    Old 06-03-2011, 02:58 PM

I think it might be because a little yellow goes a long way! I am not a huge fan of yellow, BUT I do tend to add a bit of yellow to most quilts. It is a color that just pops and makes a quilt look "happy"!
    Old 06-03-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i don't know where you came up with that assumption???
    around here i see lots and lots of yellow...
    and in our little sewing/quilting group we have one lady who has been actively quilting for over 50 years---according to her- it's not a quilt if it doesn't have at least a piece of yellow somewhere---she really loves yellow in quilts- and makes FABULOUS ONES!
    so...
    maybe in your neighborhood they do not use yellow???
    typed yellow quilts into the search engine- over a hundred pages to look at....
    personally- not a yellow person- but have included yellows when they were needed- i'm not quite convinced that every quilt should have a little yellow :)
    Perhaps I should have phrased the question differently ....yes, I see a blotch of yellow here and there in quilts but if you look at the quilts overall it's almost never the dominating color. The reason I asked was because I did an old timey Butter and Egg quilt for my daughter, on point, with a white background and a single, repeated, patched block of yellow with small,white polka dots alternating with a white square in which I quilted flowers. The border , also, was white with quilted vine and leaves and it was so stunning it just made me wonder why I didn't see something of that nature in most of my many, many quilt books and magazines is all.
    Would love to see a pic of this quilt.... :thumbup: