Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • The Truly Ugliest Quilt Top >
  • The Truly Ugliest Quilt Top

• The Truly Ugliest Quilt Top

Old 11-27-2010, 03:40 PM

I personally like the colors and the animal prints. What to do? If you really don't like it, it is the right size for an animal to use at a shelter. There are a number of shelters that will accept crocheted, knitted and quilted gifts for the residents so they don't have to sleep on cold cement floors. Just a thought.
    Old 11-27-2010, 05:03 PM

Okay right now it is something even a maker can't like, but it meeds a real good pressing. Have you removed the paper backing yet? If not do that before you do anything. Once squared up, then figure out which is your predominant color or chose a dark color to frame it out. I am not caring for the bottom piece of fabric. It doesn't go with any other color in the piece. It has aqua in it and there is none in anything else. Take it off and replace it with one of the other border fabrics. I like the blues and beiges in it so maybe one of those. Add a 4-5-6 inch border all around. If it looks to wide after it is on, trim a inch off. remember to add 1/2 in seam allowance when making the border. In other words (4 1/2") etc. I am betting that after all of that is done, you will like it better. I often hate something I am working on till it is finished. It is amazing what the quilting can do to an ugly wallhanging!!! :thumbup: Jan

Okay right now it is something even a maker can't like, but it meeds a real good pressing. Have you removed the paper backing yet? If not do that before you do anything. Once squared up, then figure out which is your predominant color or chose a dark color to frame it out. I am not caring for the bottom piece of fabric. It doesn't go with any other color in the piece. It has aqua in it and there is none in anything else. Take it off and replace it with one of the other border fabrics. I like the blues and beiges in it so maybe one of those. Add a 4-5-6 inch border all around. If it looks to wide after it is on, trim a inch off. remember to add 1/2 in seam allowance when making the border. In other words (4 1/2") etc. I am betting that after all of that is done, you will like it better. I often hate something I am working on till it is finished. It is amazing what the quilting can do to an ugly wallhanging!!! :thumbup: Jan

I don't think it is ugly either.Put some borders on it and give it to a charity like Project Linus
    Old 11-27-2010, 05:09 PM

You are correct ... it is UGLY!. I would make it into a pillow to be donated to the Human Society or animal shelter.
    Old 11-27-2010, 05:11 PM

I think its neat and has lots of possiblitis. If you decide you really don't want to work on it anymore donate to a charity group and they will finish it and find it a good home.
    Old 11-27-2010, 05:11 PM

Ummm... nice fabrics, nice applique work....nice effort :thumbup:
    Old 11-27-2010, 05:13 PM
    Power Poster

I rather like it...the animals look really good, I would build on it a little more or if you didn't mind a bit of unpicking, put some dark sashing around each block add some borders and you will have a very cool quilt.
    Old 11-27-2010, 05:17 PM
    Cyn

I like it!
    Old 11-27-2010, 05:19 PM

iron it, quiltin the ditch and bind, use it to learn more techniques, i DON'T think it is ugly.