Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Old Treadle Elgin Sewing Machine >

Old Treadle Elgin Sewing Machine

Old Treadle Elgin Sewing Machine

Old 02-23-2018, 05:33 PM

Default Old Treadle Elgin Sewing Machine

I picked up a treadle Elgin sewing machine a few years ago at a garage sale and I can't seem to find any information on it even with the serial #C69624. By the serial # it says The Jerrell Co. Rockford, IL. From research, I know that the Elgin Sewing Machine Co. 1896-1898 then became the Elgin Sewing Machine & Bicycle Co. 1898-1899 closed. I can't seem to find anything on the Jerrell Co.

Any help would be appreciated!
[h=3][/h]
Old 02-23-2018, 06:03 PM

Quite a few here have some info on the merging of brand names. I couldn't find anything comprehensive on Elgin, but there is a later Elgin Rotary, and I suspect it has a connection to White. Another way to trace it's origin is by comparing to similar models visually and mechanically and narrow things down from there. If you post a picture you will likely get relevant response and info.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:44 PM

Welcome, MusicCOMom2. By any chance are you in Colorado, specifically in the front range?

From the research I've done regarding Elgin machines, It appears that there were three different vintages of the Elgin. One is from the late 1800s, another about 1920s and then probably mid 1950s (Japanese)? I'm thinking that maybe yours might be the 1920s and if so I know several of us in the front range that would love to see your machine.

A few links that may be of interest to you regarding an Elgin machine -
https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/th...please.490975/ particularly those by Macybaby (who is a member here also)
http://needlebar.org/cm/displayimage..._display_media
http://ismacs.net/free/manuals/freevs-c-e-ce-manual.pdf

It really would help to see a picture of your machine.

Hope this helps.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:03 PM

Im in the front range and have an Elgin treadle, I asked about mine in 2012 but only came up with them being part of the New Home machine family.

Janey I live in Wheat Ridge.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:13 AM

I have an Elgin treadle that has the original paperwork / manual with it. I could post a picture but don’t know how on these boards. If you email, I would be happy to send a picture of the original manual that came with the machine
Old 05-13-2018, 06:08 AM

Welcome, cdewey5115.

If it is like the one like I saw the earlier this month, they are a beautiful smooth running machine. Do you sew with it?

There are many threads here about posting photos. Just some:
Preparing (Resizing) Photos For Successful Upload and Viewing
White Rotary
Newbie to Vintage Machines and to Online Forums-Help wanted
Which would you choose?
1911 Family Rotary White
As noted the photos generally have to be reduced to be able to post here on Quilting Board.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:33 AM

I just brought my grandmother's Elgin Rotary Treadle machine home. The original warranty receipt is dated 15 Dec 1936. There is also some New Home paperwork in one of the drawers. It was purchased in Rockford, IL from the Elgin Sewing Machine and Bicycle Company. No one has used it for many many years, and I'm trying to get it up and running. I'm also on the front range...Parker, and would appreciate ANY assistance you might have, since you possibly have a similar treadle machine. Thank you
Old 09-14-2019, 06:23 PM

Leon, are you reading this? What do you know about "Elgin Sewing Machine and Bicycle Company?" The reason I ask is because http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/american%20...ufacturers.htm says it closed in 1899?? Yet echannon's machine seems to be newer than that.

Welcome, eshannon. It really pleases me when people appreciate an inherited machine and want to get it back to what they were meant to do. Usually, it doesn't take very much to do that.

FYI, LeonF is into old sewing machines and old bicycles!

We like pictures!! Generally, they have to reduce them, before they can be posted. To insert a picture there is a "tree icon" about third from the left on the formatting bar above where you type.

I know hybearn8er's machine is a long shuttle machine. Since this is the only time MusicCOMom2 and cdewey5115
have posted and appear not to have signed on again. So don't know what their machines look like.

New Home was in Rockford, I think, beginning in 1932. Not that you need it, since you have the original paperwork, the dates of manufacture can be found at https://www.janome.com/siteassets/su...anufacture.pdf Can you find a serial number? I'm thinking that it probably starts with letters. perhaps NH, ALB or NlB

For cleaning these vintage machines it is recommended to wipe it down with sewing machine oil and soft cloths or cotton balls. While you have the sewing machine oil out, oil the places it says to in the manual.

I

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 09-14-2019 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site links
Old 09-14-2019, 08:01 PM

I'm so excited to have this machine in my possession. I thought my brother sold it years ago in a garage sale. He surprised me a month or so ago and said he'd actually kept it thinking I might want it.....DUH! I sewed Barbie clothes with my grandmother on this machine 60 years ago, so I really want to bring it back to life and cherish it! Such wonderful memories! Yes, on the serial number it is A3365, purchase 15 Dec 1936. I will keep trying to post pictures.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
We like pictures!! Generally, they have to reduce them, before they can be posted. To insert a picture there is a "tree icon" about third from the left on the formatting bar above where you type....
My apologies, the icon location for inserting pictures is dependent on if you are in "Quick Reply" or "Go Advanced" or "Reply With Quote" as indicated by the circles. It is not third from the left, but third from the right (towards the left).

Quick Reply
[ATTACH=CONFIG]617401[/ATTACH]

"Go Advanced" or "Reply With Quote"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]617402[/ATTACH]

After you click on the icon you will get this and you will need to click on "From Computer"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]617403[/ATTACH]

Then I have numbered the next steps. After clicking on "2" you will have to select an image from your computer before clicking on "3"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]617404[/ATTACH]

As noted, the image will need to be reduced. There are several ways to do this, depending on your system and graphics program/app. Look for Edit Pictures or Resize. Some have emailed the picture to themselves and then save image on computer before trying to load. When I have pictures on my computer that I want to post, I will "Save As" with a different file name and then when I close it will ask if I want to "Save Changes" and I will click "No" so that the original is not changed.

Attached Thumbnails screen-shot1a.jpg   screen-shot1b.jpg   screen-shot2.jpg   screen-shot3.jpg  

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 09-15-2019 at 02:52 AM.