Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-03-2012, 10:16 AM

Hey!! Just saw on Singer Yahoo group, here's a source for replacement decals for Singer restorations. Many models, plus logos for bentwood cases. Been waiting for someone to do this!! Cool!! I posted the link here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post5113619
    Old 04-03-2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
    Trish, I believe Davis did make one of the Minnesota models (I think I remember that at least 2 sm companies made Minnesota models), so yes, that makes sense that the Davis bobbin would work.
    Davis made Minnesota A, B, C, D, F, K, & S for Sears though some such as "A" and "K" are made by other makers. The full sized machines use Davis shuttles and long bobbins (A, B, C, K, S). 3/4 size use a shorter shuttle and bobbin. Davis made a boat load of these machines. In 1906 a top of the line "A" sold for $16.50 + freight from Dayton, OH with 7 drawer cabinet and a 25 year warranty. Pretty good deal.

Jon
    Old 04-03-2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj
    Davis made Minnesota A, B, C, D, F, K, & S for Sears though some such as "A" and "K" are made by other makers. The full sized machines use Davis shuttles and long bobbins (A, B, C, K, S). 3/4 size use a shorter shuttle and bobbin. Davis made a boat load of these machines. In 1906 a top of the line "A" sold for $16.50 + freight from Dayton, OH with 7 drawer cabinet and a 25 year warranty. Pretty good deal.

Jon
    Jon, I knew you would have all the info on this!! :-)
    Old 04-03-2012, 12:23 PM

Link to an original handcrank for sale....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-SEWI...item4cffeea64f
    Old 04-03-2012, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
    Link to an original handcrank for sale....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-SEWI...item4cffeea64f
    I've had my eye on that one. I hope the bidding stays low.

Last edited by grayhare; 04-03-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    Old 04-03-2012, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the information Jon.
    Old 04-03-2012, 05:54 PM
    Banned

Hey kids I thought I would drop by and see how our shop is doing. I will be in here and participate more often now that I am feeling better and getting my health back. Also I have a lot of neat sewing machines to show off to you all and tons of information like factory records that I have bought from extinct sewing machine companies, some of the records are even signed by the owners and the presidents of the companies. Something really neat is a booklet of service receipts for a Singer sewing machine. In 1940 the cost of a full service was $8.75 and that even included a new needle and pack of bobbins. Boy would it be nice if it was still that price now??????

Billy
    Old 04-03-2012, 06:02 PM
    Google Goddess

so happy to see you online again Billy

you take care of yourself

Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Hey kids I thought I would drop by and see how our shop is doing. I will be in here and participate more often now that I am feeling better and getting my health back. Also I have a lot of neat sewing machines to show off to you all and tons of information like factory records that I have bought from extinct sewing machine companies, some of the records are even signed by the owners and the presidents of the companies. Something really neat is a booklet of service receipts for a Singer sewing machine. In 1940 the cost of a full service was $8.75 and that even included a new needle and pack of bobbins. Boy would it be nice if it was still that price now??????

Billy
    Old 04-03-2012, 06:21 PM

[QUOTE=Lostn51;5114556]Hey kids I thought I would drop by and see how our shop is doing. I will be in here and participate more often now that I am feeling better and getting my health back.

Billy it is so nice to hear from you again. You have been missed. I am glad that your health is improving. It is nice to start feeling good again. Kathie
    Old 04-03-2012, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
    I want to tell you about my DH from over the weekend. You all know he is the vintage machine lover here. Well he has been trying to get his mother's Minnesota B machine for years. You see his mother past 22 years ago and his sister just wouldn't turn lose of the machine. Well over the weekend he asked again just to see it and it was a messss. In an old shed that the roof leaked. He got sick just looking at it because at one time it was his mother's pride and joy. The paint is completely gone from the machine and locked up. Sooo he asked again if he might have the machine and try and get her running. Sister finally said yes. So machine is in work shop and complety oiled and turning. Got the treadle peddle working too. His mother used to hear DH working the treadle and yell to leave her machine alone or she would box his ears. DH was sitting and just treadling away and says look at me now mom you can't box my ears. Oh how I wish I was behind him and he not know it I would have boxed his ears. Most of the parts are there and the bobbin seems to be the same as our Davis and we have an extra so going to try that. Need a manual if any one has a copy they could send us a copy of. Or know a site I can look tried yesterday but couldn't find any info. Also need the regular presser foot. It slides on from the front.
    Hi Trish,

Here's a manual for the "Burdick" the predecessor of the Minnesota B. Similar but different in areas.

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...f/sil10-37.pdf

Jon