Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-17-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
    Have a question for FW owners. Did FWs ever come in a curved top wooden box? I ask b/c I called about a Singer and all the seller could tell me was that it was black and came in the curved top wooden box and also had some attachments. She is supposed to email the serial # tomorrow so I can find out more information for me (and her.) Would appreciate any input regarding the carrying case(s) for FWs.

Chris
    I'm not a FW owner, but I have noticed that some folks will post on CL a small portable machine or FW, but the machine is a 99 and sometimes it is in a bentwood box.
    Old 01-17-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

I'm not a FW owner, but I have noticed that some folks will post on CL a small portable machine or FW, but the machine is a 99 and sometimes it is in a bentwood box.
    Thanks. Am just curious. Already own 2 in bentwood box.
    Old 01-17-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
    Oh by the way, I will take out stock on cotton balls and Q-tips!! I really enjoyed taking my machine apart today. As in an earlier post, only one bandaid after poking my finger with a screwdriver. Thanks again.
    Lauren, Did you get your tension problem fixed? Or was that just for cleaning?
    Old 01-17-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
    Oh by the way, I will take out stock on cotton balls and Q-tips!! I really enjoyed taking my machine apart today. As in an earlier post, only one bandaid after poking my finger with a screwdriver. Thanks again.
    Lauren, Did you get your tension problem fixed? Or was that just for cleaning?
    No I sure didn't. Figured I would wait on it. It can't be that hard to take off. I just cleaned around it. Didn't have anything else to do so I am cleaning it backwards as it was too chilly to work outside. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to put it in Kerosine and then wipe it down again with GoJo-Liquid gold, in the proper order of Billy's directions.
    Old 01-17-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
    Nancy, Thanks for the welcome. No my davis is not the VF it is the one with the funny thread tensioner on top of the arm. You can see it page 392 to this thread. I will post pic to the quilt when I get further along on it. It will be hand quilted so will take awhile. Thanks again Glenn
    Wow, that is the cabinet you re-did! Very pretty. Are you sure that Pathfinder is not a Vertical Feed machine? It has the same kind of slide plates that my Davis Vertical Feed 2 has?
    I can't see the foot, nor the feed dogs. Pretty machine too.

Nancy
    Old 01-17-2011, 07:37 PM

I have one of the earliest FW's - a first run of 1935 and mine has the black case that all the earlier FW's came in. I agree with Vintagemotif, it is probably a 99 in a Bentwood case. I have one of those 99k's in a Bentwood case.

Nancy
    Old 01-17-2011, 07:40 PM

Nancy it may be VF. I really do not know. I would really like to see a pic of shuttle in the race as I said I am not sure if I am getting in right. But thank you Glenn
    Old 01-17-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

True, that!

You all have been very chatty today!! I have been hiding in the upstairs non-sewing room (as opposed to the basement non-sewing room) cutting fabrics for a quilt retreat this weekend. Black/white/red. I'm going to have fun with this one. I still need to cut more for a Mountain Majesties quilt, but am not quite as excited about the fabrics. Maybe I should go to a quilt shop for more? Or maybe just to the storage unit. . . . .
    You just keep surprising us! You say you don't finish things, but look at you? Cutting fabric all day for a retreat! Are you taking a hand crank? I thought you said once that you have taken a treadle before?

I love red/black/white quilts! Do you need an excuse to go to the quilt shop?

Have fun at your retreat this weekend!

Nancy
    Old 01-17-2011, 07:43 PM

This is for the Bernina lovers. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/for/2165501803.html

Don't ask me why I'm on CL today looking. Day schedule is finished, dinner dishes are all cleaned up, and before I brought in the Davis NVF machine head from the cold garage to start cleaning it in my warm kitchen, I just had to take a peek. Now Miz Johnny, don't tell me you have one of these.
    Old 01-17-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

True, that!

You all have been very chatty today!! I have been hiding in the upstairs non-sewing room (as opposed to the basement non-sewing room) cutting fabrics for a quilt retreat this weekend. Black/white/red. I'm going to have fun with this one. I still need to cut more for a Mountain Majesties quilt, but am not quite as excited about the fabrics. Maybe I should go to a quilt shop for more? Or maybe just to the storage unit. . . . .
    You just keep surprising us! You say you don't finish things, but look at you? Cutting fabric all day for a retreat! Are you taking a hand crank? I thought you said once that you have taken a treadle before?

I love red/black/white quilts! Do you need an excuse to go to the quilt shop?

Have fun at your retreat this weekend!

Nancy
    I love red, black, and white quilts too! I'm sure she doesn't need to go to a fabric store to find more fabrics for this quilt.