Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Adjusting presser foot pressure >

Adjusting presser foot pressure

Adjusting presser foot pressure

Old 11-01-2015, 04:13 PM

I should have added, that the amount of change needed to the presser bar pressure when using the “pain meter” to adjust the pressure, is the Tad System.

If it’s too much pressure, back it off a tad, if it’s too little pressure, crank it down just a tad. Other folks use the Bit System, but I prefer the Tad System.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 11-01-2015, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

Hmmmm I think I like the paper method a tad bit better than the finger smooch method... Ive had enough blue fingernails to last a life time with out trying... I've never set pressure on an industrial walking foot. I just went with what was on mine... It worked ok so I never messed with it. I've read that the heavier fabric needs more pressure - only thing I can think of is that it might have to have more pulling power in some cases...
Old 11-01-2015, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
This is the same instruction that's in very vintage machine manual I've ever seen. It seems counter-intuitive to me.
Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I've read that the heavier fabric needs more pressure - only thing I can think of is that it might have to have more pulling power in some cases...
Yeah, I've seen it too. I think it's a matter of reading comprehension - mine anyway. Technically, one does use more muscle to move a heavier object, but to pick up said object would require a somewhat less of a pinch. I was interpreting it the second way but it might be meant the first way. I suppose we could figure it out if CD's finger measurement is sensitive enough. Personally, I'm not that brave. I've been bloodletted and dented enough!
Old 11-02-2015, 07:47 AM

I bruise rather easily so I think I'll avoid the "finger smoosh" test, LOL. My fingers sort of ache just thinking about it.

The paper test is just the kind of thing I was wondering about. I'll have to try that. I haven't taken my girl down to fiddle with her yet, she's still in her "pucker-up" setting. I had a very lazy weekend.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

Some times I am amazed how tight people put the pressure - must not be going by rule of finger or thumb depending what you need to have smoothed.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:45 AM

It is a common problem to cause ourselves more tension and pressure than strictly necessary. I always try to remember "Just enough is lots."
Old 11-02-2015, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

Tension tamer tea?
Old 11-02-2015, 12:38 PM
Banned

I asked my daughter once how bad her tension was, she said it was an elevension
Old 11-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
It is a common problem to cause ourselves more tension and pressure than strictly necessary. I always try to remember "Just enough is lots."
I'm one of those people who don't worry until I have to. Also a major procrastinator but I work better with a deadline in front of me. I'm the only one in my family over the age of 40 who doesn't have high blood pressure.

Cari
Old 11-02-2015, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I asked my daughter once how bad her tension was, she said it was an elevension
Very cute.....