Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Adjusting presser foot pressure >

Adjusting presser foot pressure

Adjusting presser foot pressure

Old 11-03-2015, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I asked my daughter once how bad her tension was, she said it was an elevension
*groan!* (obligatory reaction to any pun)

Cari - I wish I could be less of a worry-wart. I fret about things that will likely never happen, and worry myself silly over inconsequential things. Shockingly I DON'T have high blood pressure, but I sure feel like I ought to, with all the worrying I do!

If worrying were a job, I'd be a world-class professional by now. LOL!
Old 11-03-2015, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Hmmmm I think I like the paper method a tad bit better than the finger smooch method...
Yeah. It’s kind of like the difference between using a volt meter or your tongue to check a 9V battery. Either way will work.

Ov cwouse, I wooden wecomend ussing yor twong to swet yor pwesser baa pwessue at augh.

CD in Oklahoma

Last edited by ThayerRags; 11-03-2015 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Mis-spelled "cwouse"
Old 11-03-2015, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Tension tamer tea?
How I wish I had stock in that tea! With what I drink of it, I'd be a comfortable gal indeed!

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I'm one of those people who don't worry until I have to. Also a major procrastinator but I work better with a deadline in front of me. I'm the only one in my family over the age of 40 who doesn't have high blood pressure.
As I'm getting older, I'm getting better at the "don't go borrowing trouble" thing and not worrying about things until they come to pass. I used to work well under pressure - you sort of have to in IT or you burn out fast. I think that's what I finally did though - I burned out and just couldn't "take it" any more. Of course the 12am phone calls about computers being broken were a definite contributor. Now, it's ready when it's ready and it's serviced when it's serviced (within reason of course) and I don't get a lot of panic calls anymore. I'm 41 next month and my blood pressure is in range when I go to the doctor (in fact it's finally normal. I've been low most of my life) but I bet there are days it's high thanks to the stress of the day.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:52 PM

My blood pressure only goes up when I get a call from my youngest (32).lol No kidding weird.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
My blood pressure only goes up when I get a call from my youngest (32).lol No kidding weird.
Oh, yes, of all my kids, #2 has given me temporary high blood pressure more than once! I love my son dearly but I've said more than once if I had it to do over again I'd have all girls!

Cari
Old 11-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
..... I've said more than once if I had it to do over again I'd have all girls!

Cari
as the father of three Girls, I would say you might regret that.....
Old 11-04-2015, 11:43 AM

Yeah, I found the girls are OK til the hormone age hits, then look out!! I'd take a boy first any day.

As an aside, holy COW did this thread go off topic.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
My FW's seams are kind of puckery, and I think maybe I have too much pressure on the presser foot. I really just need to play with it but I was thinking that I haven't really seen posts on adjusting presser foot pressure properly, and it's something I've never really thought much about.
It seems to me that most of the "trouble shooting" tips that I have seen in various manuals and on the web seem to indicate that the "puckering" is a tension related issue.
It also seems like one of the sewing manuals for the "pop-up" pressure knobs seemed to give the opposite of what Singer says for thick vs thin fabric. (I can't find it now.)
When I was working on the most recent FW, I found something about setting the knob with only two screw threads showing. (I can't find that either.) I haven't done much sewing with it but seemed to work ok to test. At least it is a starting spot.

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
...The best description I have is from a "Singer Study Skills" booklet I have that I scanned. I don't know if it is legible how
Actually that should be "Singer Sewing Skills"

As Miriam mentioned there are machines that have a silk setting for the feed dogs which make less pressure on the fabric I'm not sure how to word what I'm thinking. I'm wondering if that would make the seam ease differently. I know I have seen tips about how if you need to ease seams - that the longer should be on the bottom. Would the silk setting mean that if you needed to ease some fabric seams that the longer should be on top?
Old 11-05-2015, 08:06 AM

Regarding the feed dog settings for finer and coarser fabrics; I have thought about them like an additional way to adjust pressure on the fabric, between feed dogs and presser foot. Especially the Japanese machines have this feature, and it's like a quick way to ajust presser foot tension, you have three preset options in a knob. The feed dogs move a bit lower for silk and rise a bit higher for heavier fabrics. I can sew silk chiffon and jersey pretty well on my model 99, it doesn't have any extra feature like this, it's as simple and basic as it gets. Does anyone get any use of this feature?
Old 11-05-2015, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

It might pay to take a look at the feed dogs. Have they been compromised? How about the pressure foot?
I don't know about that two screw threads showing. Things vary way much for that.