Big foot on featherweight

Old 09-03-2017, 09:48 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default Big foot on featherweight

I posted on main site but perhaps this is a better place.
i can't get a big foot attachment to sew out stitches... it just makes needle holes.
anyone have any suggestions? TIA
Old 09-03-2017, 12:51 PM

What's a big foot attachment?

bkay
Old 09-03-2017, 04:27 PM

It is a free motion foot with a big clear plastic circle as a foot. It is made by the Little Foot Quilt Shop Co. They have even sent me a replacement one as the first one broke the connection going on the needle pin. The replacement didn't work, they sent me another and that one is not working either. It connects the only way I can see to put it on, but the bobbin thread never comes up. The company said they would give me my money back if this replacement doesn't work... I can't fault them in any way. They have been more than fair. I just want it to work!
Old 09-03-2017, 04:38 PM

Most general low shank feet should fit, but I know from personal experience not all do. On a 99 I had a low shank presser foot dragging the entire presser bar up with the needle movement, it was all metal nothing broke, but the noise and rumble, and it would have broken something if I continued. I broke a low shank Elna jumping foot on my 201, in theory it should have worked but it didn't. I would recommend the small Singer foot #121094 or what you can find in the Featherweight shop or at Sew Classic, they have tested the feet they sell on the Featherweight and it will work. There are a couple of ebay sellers with freemotion feet for the Featherweight too.

Last edited by Mickey2; 09-03-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
Most general low shank feet should fit, but I know from personal experience not all do. On a 99 I had a low shank presser foot dragging the entire presser bar up with the needle movement, it was all metal nothing broke, but the noise and rumble, and it would have broken something if I continued. I broke a low shank Elna jumping foot on my 201, in theory it should have worked but it didn't. I would recommend the small Singer foot #121094 or what you can find in the Featherweight shop or at Sew Classic, they have tested the feet they sell on the Featherweight and it will work. There are a couple of ebay sellers with freemotion feet for the Featherweight too.
Thanks Mickey. Wha gets me is there is a Youtube with a big foot being used on a featherweight and the company said it should work.
To be honest,I am not sure what a low shaft measures. Is it a standard length?
Old 09-03-2017, 05:00 PM

I just found the youtube video with the big foot before I notice you reply. Is there something odd going on with your machine like fitting screw problem? The basic foot is working fine? Yes, the low shank is the most common standard for the old Singer straight stitchers, lots of others too. What complicates it is that the distance between presser bar and needle clamp movements aren't the same for all models. A silly mistake, but very common with darning and free motion is to forget to lower the presser foot before we start to sew. Usually you will just get tension problems, but it will mess up the needle clamp distance for the jumping foot.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:24 PM

Yes, my DH asked me about lowering the presser foot and I checked...it was lowered. Not sure what you mean about "distance between presser bar and needle clamp movements". Don"t mean to take all your time but if you could explain, I'd appreciate it. Is it something I could adjust?
Old 09-03-2017, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Terry in the ADK View Post
It is a free motion foot with a big clear plastic circle as a foot. It is made by the Little Foot Quilt Shop Co. They have even sent me a replacement one as the first one broke the connection going on the needle pin. The replacement didn't work, they sent me another and that one is not working either. It connects the only way I can see to put it on, but the bobbin thread never comes up. The company said they would give me my money back if this replacement doesn't work... I can't fault them in any way. They have been more than fair. I just want it to work!
Since you say the bobbin thread doesn't come up, I'm wondering if the needle was inserted and threaded correctly. The flat should be on the left side as you are inserting it and then the thread it from the right to the left.

The featherweight is a low shank and as you were told, the Big Foot should work on the the Featherweight.

From my understanding about this type of foot, some have you change the pressure on the presser foot, some have you cover the feed dogs, on some machines the feed dogs are dropped (not a possibility on the Featherweight) and some just set the stitch length to "0"

Good luck on getting it to work.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Terry in the ADK View Post
... Not sure what you mean about "distance between presser bar and needle clamp movements".
I'm trying to describe something very basic you can't adjust. You have the presser bar with the foot behind the needle bar; the needle goes up and down and accessories like jumping feet latch onto the needle clamp to work. The position of the needle clamp and the latch on part on the presser foot isn't always ideal. The needle clamp can lift up too high or too low on some models and the foot can break.

In your case I'm sure it has to do with a setting or fitting, since others can use the Big Foot on the Featherweight.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:08 AM

The feeddogs on my featherweight do not go down. I purchased a cover for them. If my needle is inserted the wrong direction or my threading is incorrect, I get a mess.