Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Doctor, Doctor, Give me the news, I've got a hopeless case......... >

Doctor, Doctor, Give me the news, I've got a hopeless case.........

Doctor, Doctor, Give me the news, I've got a hopeless case.........

Old 10-25-2013, 11:41 PM
Power Poster

It amazes me how well machines have held up in bad cases. But then again maybe nobody used the machine. Cases do protect a machine even when they are in bad shape. Some times the case and machine will be in good shape but the fasteners rusted or broken.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]443222[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bad-case-fastener-003.jpg  
Old 10-26-2013, 12:33 AM
Power Poster

more contact paper:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]443227[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails contact-paper-cases-001.jpg  
Old 10-26-2013, 12:34 AM
Power Poster

I wonder what kind of glue would fix this one?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]443228[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails contact-paper-cases-004.jpg  
Old 10-26-2013, 01:38 AM

Oh man, you've got a bad case (or a hundred). The duct tape on the bentwood case looks ancient, and it's still holding strong! It may even be from the days when it was called duck tape. (From duck the fabric, not the quack quack duck).

The first one that your GD decorated has a brown-paper-bag look to it that is not unattractive (from here, anyway). Or it could be the decorations. Maybe just glue fabric to the non-smelly ones and call it a day (or a week)? You have so many!!

I had to laugh at the contact paper and duct tape. They were two of my mom's favorite things. Especially that wood grain. She would sometimes use it to cover books that were falling apart. I think she used it because it was handy, not because she wanted the books to look like faux wood. She was practical. Aesthetics came 2nd. Or 3rd or 4th.

I think my favorite one is the home-made wooden one, if it's solid. It's practical and looks like it will take a beating. Your post makes me regret the 2 nice cases I gave away with machines. I didn't realize how rare they are. I don't have any cases except for FWs, and my green/white one is musty-smelling but clean at least.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:45 AM

Hey, on the bentwood case you could cover the duct tape with wood grain contact paper! I wonder if they still make it.

Last edited by Sheluma; 10-26-2013 at 01:47 AM. Reason: add smiley so no one thinks I'm serious
Old 10-26-2013, 03:18 AM

Yep, books, old table tops, cabinet doors, under the sink, I've done it. Never use the stuff anymore but I'll bet they still make it.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:18 AM

the smell is the worst part for me, I can handle looks, even ones that really raise your eyebrows, but if I can't get it past my nose then it may be a lost cause. I can't tolerate perfumes so I can't cover up the smell, have to get rid of it. So far my black FW case is the only one that has a horrid smell. Had one cabinet that stunk from cigarette smoke, but a good stripping and refinishing took care of the smell.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:38 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]443257[/ATTACH]
More contact paper for you. This is a 66 redeye, the clash is awful. My puppy has been tearing it off too, it now looks worse.
Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg  
Old 10-26-2013, 06:47 AM
yel

haven't tried it on the sewing machine case but the tupperware lady always said to crumple new paper and put it in the container and close it .....will take the smell out .....worked on the tupperware and even when the dh brought a pot belly pig home in the FRONT of the truck [full grown not a piglet] took a lot of newspaper and closed the windows let it in the sun for an afternoon ...that little piggy went to the farm ....good luck
Old 10-26-2013, 07:12 AM

Miriam,

Watsa mater you can't sleep either? We've had a half dozen lousy nights lately.

We've got a roll of wall paper that would fix the Cinderella case right up.

The hardest part of refurbishing the wooden cases is sanding and prepping them after they are glued back together.
I use lots of sand paper and plastic wood to make them smooth enough to recover. Lots of work, but considering how hard good cases are to find, I think it's worth it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]443261[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]443262[/ATTACH]
Water damage, mold and mildew

[ATTACH=CONFIG]443263[/ATTACH]
Shipping damage

[ATTACH=CONFIG]443265[/ATTACH]
Rodent damage

[ATTACH=CONFIG]443269[/ATTACH]
General decay

Miriam hows that for some hopeless cases?

Joe
Attached Thumbnails casebottom.jpg   sideofrottedcase.jpg   sewmore.jpg   mouse-nest-case.jpg   decayed-case.jpg