Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 02-25-2014, 03:40 PM

My new featherweight she sew's like a dream
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 02-25-2014, 03:43 PM

I have a 221 born in 1936 and a 301.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Redsquirrel View Post
Just to be clear, does the blackside mean that it had all black parts and no chrome? what makes it a blackside?
Hi,
The one I have has a blackened faceplate, presser foot lifter and black painted handwheel and the backplate on the stitch regulator is solid black. The rest of the parts are the chromed standard type. This website has more information if you are interested. http://home.roadrunner.com/~featherweight/Blackside.htm
Old 02-27-2014, 09:15 PM

I have four of the 221's. I didn't pay more than $125.00 for any of them. The first one that I'm refurbishing is a centennial and will be for sale when I'm done with it.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:22 PM

My new birthday gift FW arrived just a little while ago. She was packed very well and is in very very good condition. Serial number EV914436 Born 1964. I was 10 years old. The best part is she is not a white FW. She is a celery FW!!!! WooHoo!! I was so excited when I saw her as the pictures on ebay looked milk white. Now I have to change her name LOL.

It was hard to capture the celery color because it is raining here so I had to try indoors but I think they are pretty good pics. The fourth pic down shows how white the hand wheel is compared to the rest of her and the light bulb/lamp housing is white and she is green but it didn't show well in this photo.
She is dirty and needs a thorough cleaning and a test run which I hopefully will get to tonight. I also need to round up accessories. The case is in really good condition except for one corner that will need repaired or I may just recover the whole thing. This is my only FW I will purchase unless I come across a 222. So she may very well be my only FW and is very very special to me.
Attached Thumbnails img_5391.jpg   img_5394.jpg   img_5395.jpg   img_5401.jpg   img_5402.jpg  

Old 03-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Banned

Nice!

I have a friend who's mother started buying up Featherweights as "investments" a couple years ago. sigh... (bad timing)

She has asked if I will come down and take a look at them and maybe help her to sell them...

She believes she currently has 14.......
Old 03-03-2014, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Nice!

I have a friend who's mother started buying up Featherweights as "investments" a couple years ago. sigh... (bad timing)

She has asked if I will come down and take a look at them and maybe help her to sell them...

She believes she currently has 14.......
Oh you lucky duck, how fun is that going to be!
Old 03-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
Oh you lucky duck, how fun is that going to be!
A lot more fun IF you liked Featherweights. I am less than impressed so far. The hard part is going to be finding a way to tap into my salesmanship skills to sell 14 sewing machines that I already believe are overpriced....
Old 03-03-2014, 05:41 PM

There in lies part of your job with your friend. To keep the prices a little lower than the going rate to move em out quickly and efficiently thereby reducing the hard part for you.

They will sell themselves if in good condition, cleaned and running nice with good cases and some accessories. You probably will not have to do much in the way of salesmanship. Really good photos are key. You will have more fun than you think and will be rewarded with huge smiles when you see how happy the peeps are when they carry off their prize. And I must say when it is a preteen or teen that gets gifted a vintage machine whether it is a FW or full size it just melts your heart!
Old 03-03-2014, 06:32 PM

FW's are about the most popular vintage sewing machine on earth---shouldn't be tough if the prices are fair. Good Luck.

Jon