Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 08-12-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by ewecansew
Threading the needle isn't hard because you thread it from right to left. For some reason that isn't as hard as from front to back. By the way, Congratulations and welcome to the FW club.
Actually it's hard either way for me. I'm so used to my automatic threader and I just can't see the hole at all. I ended up taking the needle out to thread it. I did see an Amazing Needle Threader advertised so I'll give that a try.

I'm excited to be a member of the club!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH
Originally Posted by ewecansew
Threading the needle isn't hard because you thread it from right to left. For some reason that isn't as hard as from front to back. By the way, Congratulations and welcome to the FW club.
Actually it's hard either way for me. I'm so used to my automatic threader and I just can't see the hole at all. I ended up taking the needle out to thread it. I did see an Amazing Needle Threader advertised so I'll give that a try.

I'm excited to be a member of the club!
Automatic threader? What? I need to up my game!
Old 08-13-2011, 05:18 AM

Because I'm left handed, I have trouble threading the needle on the FW, but once I get the needle threaded, it is worth all the effort. My FW sews like a dream!
Old 08-13-2011, 06:21 AM

The previous owner of my 1950 FW was a woman who brought it to a local sewing machine repair shop -- told the owner it belonged to her grandmother - and asked him to get it running. He put a new power cord on it, oiled it, got it working. But, the granddaughter didn't respond to the phone calls that it was ready. The phone number was disconnected eventually, but the repairman kept the FW 2 years! The week I called him to see if he had one for sale, he decided to sell it to me -- and gave me a new case! I consider it an honor to own the machine -- I'm only the 2nd person to use it, and I value it. I feel like I'm related to "the grandmother." :)
Old 08-13-2011, 08:24 AM

I bought mine on ebay, and once the deal was done I asked the seller if he would mind sharing some history on the machine. He was very kind to tell me all about his mother, the amazing things she made, and particularly things she had made for him. No quilts, just clothing. I feel like the machine has a soul and it makes it that much more special to me.

Thanks for sharing your FW story, Joy!
Old 08-13-2011, 04:00 PM

Well -- today I used my FW for the first time to do a block-of-the-month. It's a challenge to control the speed; I am using my heel on the pedal. It wants to jump from slow to fast, so am trying to find the sweet spot. I'm working with 2.5" pieces, chain stitching, and I don't have a rhythm in pulling out the pins. I'm using my hand on the wheel to maintain a speed -- and it brings back so many memories; I always used to have my right hand on the wheel. The process of sewing is slower than using my Viking -- but I love the slowness.
Amazing how light affects color in photos. The block on the machine is the same block in 2nd photo. The colors are true in photo #2.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-241348.jpe   attachment-241349.jpe  
Old 08-13-2011, 04:06 PM

judyjudyjudy,
Take a look at some of the other Featherweight blogs on the board. I think it was Billy (lostn51) who mentioned we need to put the heel down and use the ball of the foot to control the foot pedal. It makes speed control a lot easier to deal with.

I've been using my featherweight for about 25 years now and done it both ways. The heel down using the ball is much easier on your calves and on your foot.

Try it, you'll like it!
Old 08-13-2011, 04:59 PM

Oh my goodness, I was informed to use my heel on the button as this was the correct way. I was using the ball of of my foot. I love my featherweight, but I must admit, I do not like the foot pedal. I guess it is whatever is the most comfortable for you.

While I was making blocks for a quilt on my fw, the machine was slipping around on the table, so I put a piece of the rubber shelf liner that has dimples under my machine, it keeps my machine right in place.

I have also been working on the musty odor in my case. I have cleaned the case on the inside and outside with clorox and water mixture, set it in the sun for several days, left it open while it is in my sewing room, and thankfully, almost all of the smell is gone.

Aren't this machine grand, I love mine.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by judyjudyjudy
Well -- today I used my FW for the first time to do a block-of-the-month. It's a challenge to control the speed; I am using my heel on the pedal. It wants to jump from slow to fast, so am trying to find the sweet spot. I'm working with 2.5" pieces, chain stitching, and I don't have a rhythm in pulling out the pins. I'm using my hand on the wheel to maintain a speed -- and it brings back so many memories; I always used to have my right hand on the wheel. The process of sewing is slower than using my Viking -- but I love the slowness.
Amazing how light affects color in photos. The block on the machine is the same block in 2nd photo. The colors are true in photo #2.
I sew barefoot and use my big toe! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-14-2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Anne
I have also been working on the musty odor in my case. I have cleaned the case on the inside and outside with clorox and water mixture, set it in the sun for several days, left it open while it is in my sewing room, and thankfully, almost all of the smell is gone.
I used David McCallum's tip with the light bulb and soap treatment. But since you've used the sun you just need to make a very small mini pouch bag or bean bag type pouch filled with grated antibacterial (like Dial/Dove, etc) soap shavings. Just sit it down in your case. It doesn't take much of the soap shavings just a very small amount. It really works for me and my case smells so good now! :lol: