Help with a featherweight

Old 10-14-2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
The throat plate may not be on right. I don't have time to hunt up a picture but I have posted many times. Here is a link to the time my sister and I cleaned up my mom's machine. There is a picture of the bobbin area. Your throat plate has a place a little finger that needs to match up under it. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t-t174236.html
This is what is wrong with my machine. I have tried to put it in the same place but my machine is a 59' and the bobbin receiver area is different. Mine has a greaat deal more hardware around it. When i try to put it in the same place and put the stitch plate on it won't go. It is great to know there is a solution for my machine. I just haVE to figure it out!
Old 10-14-2013, 11:47 AM

post some pictures so we can see what you are talking about. We love to see everyone's little cuties.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pepita View Post
This is what is wrong with my machine. I have tried to put it in the same place but my machine is a 59' and the bobbin receiver area is different. Mine has a greaat deal more hardware around it. When i try to put it in the same place and put the stitch plate on it won't go. It is great to know there is a solution for my machine. I just haVE to figure it out!
You should have that information in your user's manual.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:59 PM

There was no user manual that came with my machine. I did download a manual from the internet, and there is a page that shows the parts that form the bobbin case area. I did unscrew the tiny little screw, and didn't see how to disassemble (or feel) the thing.
I'll try to take pics of the thing and you guys can tell me what I am doing wrong. I have guild meeting tomorrow, and am a bit busy.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:12 AM
Power Poster

If you are unsure of what you are doing - WAIT - find a manual or find someone else with enough information to not harm your machine. Hey not everybody is mechanically inclined and that is ok. There have been times I've waited for my sister to come from Arizona to sit next to me and help me work on a machine - one reads the manual and the other does the surgery. Results may vary... AND you can always find a place to have it serviced.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:36 PM

Believe it or not I am very mechanical. I have printed the pages that show the way the machine should be with the 'finger' in the right place. When I try putting it in the right place (I haven't disassembled the mechanism around the bobbin area) it stil stops working. Do you think it's possible the man who sold me the machine when he disassembled it didn't put the parts back the way they should?

Please forgive me for not knowing the right terms for the parts of the machine. Senioritis strikes, and I am not fully knowledgeable of the correct terms of some of the parts. Thank you for all the tips.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

Believe it or not I am very mechanical. I have printed the pages that show the way the machine should be with the 'finger' in the right place. When I try putting it in the right place (I haven't disassembled the mechanism around the bobbin area) it stil stops working. Do you think it's possible the man who sold me the machine when he disassembled it didn't put the parts back the way they should?

Please forgive me for not knowing the right terms for the parts of the machine. Senioritis strikes, and I am not fully knowledgeable of the correct terms of some of the parts. Thank you for all the tips.
extremely possible. You need another FW to look at as you take yours apart and put it back together. I like to have another person around when I do stuff I'm uncomfortable doing. My sister shows up a couple times a year. I save up the bad boys for when she comes. She might not know any more than I do but she keeps me going and we get it done.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:08 PM

When I try putting it in the right place (I haven't disassembled the mechanism around the bobbin area) it stil stops working.
What do you mean by it stops working? Does the thread jam? What exactly happens?