Help with a featherweight

Old 10-06-2013, 06:04 PM

Default Help with a featherweight

I just bought a featherweight. I got it and started testing it. I know I need to replace the cord, the belt and need a new carrying box, but----The handle won't turn all the way around. It only goes almost 1/2 way around. I went ahead and oiled it, to see if it would make a difference, and it doesn't. I did plug it in the motor goes grrr, but I didn't want to force anything.
Do you guys have a clue as to what is wrong?
Old 10-06-2013, 06:16 PM

what handle are you talking about? Need pictures please. [ATTACH=CONFIG]440012[/ATTACH]this is a FW, no handle.
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2013, 06:27 PM

It is the round thing that the belt wraps around. You loosen the inside wheel to stop the wheel from turning so you can wind a bobbin. When you start on a piece of sewing you often start with this wheel, sorry the words I have are crank, wheel, and I guess handle isn't very specific.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:10 PM

Sounds like it's locked up. The typical culprit is thread wrapped around the bobbin assembly. Take a flashlight and look around the bobbin case area. If you see any thread, try to carefully remove it with tweezers.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:25 AM

Oh.... how frustrating. I hope Candace's suggestion works. If not, I'm sure all the members here will be able to help you get it up and running. Yes, please take a picture so we can see what's going on.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:50 AM

You will solve this, just be very slow, careful, baby steps. and don't pry or force -anything-.

You can call it a handwheel. It is not moving, very likely as was pointed out, because of a thread jam near the bobbin.

The FWs are wonderful! But. notoriously easy for getting thread jams, espe if the needle is on backwards, which often happens, as it is counter-intuitave to many.

Go slowy and cautiously with your exploration of the bobbin area, take lots of photographs, and be patient - stop and post a question any time you have any reservations. We're all here to help, and you will solve this, yes you will. :-)
Old 10-08-2013, 02:23 AM
Power Poster

The throat plate may not be on right. I don't have time to hunt up a picture but I have posted many times. Here is a link to the time my sister and I cleaned up my mom's machine. There is a picture of the bobbin area. Your throat plate has a place a little finger that needs to match up under it. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t-t174236.html
Old 10-08-2013, 03:35 AM

Are you referring the balance wheel on the right end of the machine(as you face it) as a handle? If you are, there may be a piece of thread locked up in the bobbin. I If you aren't familiar with working on mechanical things, and have never done much with machines, I would highly recommend taking the machine to a reputable repairman.
Featherweight RX.com has a fantastic manual they sell that gives full detail of all the parts of a FW, also how to clean, oil and repair some things on a FW fully illustrated. I bought one several years back when I bought my first FW. The name of the manual is "The Featherweight 221 and I". I pull this out when I have a problem with my machine. I have had thread lock mine up a few times and in this manual there are great illustrations to follow to take care of this problem-BE CAREFUL when doing this, as there is a very tiny screw involved, and if you lose it- you have a major problem, as they are not easy to replace. When I work on my bobbin area, cleaning or removing thread, I place the machine on a towel, to help keep anything from falling off of a smooth surface. I also have a small plastic container I use to keep the small parts in when doing this- one like the top on some cough medicine or over the counter meds, that measures liquids. I now keep it in the top tray of my machine case.
Good Luck.

Last edited by Gerbie; 10-08-2013 at 03:45 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:40 AM

Bet it would be worth it to find a sewing machine tech. and have him check it out and get it in first class shape. He can do an estimate as to the total cost so there are no surprises. You will love your machine after it is put in first-class shape! Mariah
Old 10-08-2013, 07:16 AM

For good information, check out www.novamontgomery.com

Her Monthly Tips (index available too) is wonderful in learning about your FW and problems and solutions. She also sells parts for our little jewels.