Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Im bursting with EXCITEMENT!!!!!  New Home Treadle for $10 >

Im bursting with EXCITEMENT!!!!! New Home Treadle for $10

Im bursting with EXCITEMENT!!!!! New Home Treadle for $10

Old 01-31-2012, 10:50 AM

wow, lucky you, only $10. congrats.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:10 PM

Good for you! How exciting.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:14 PM

That's a great find. The price is amazing. The cabinet looks like the one I have for my singer treadle. I bought belts from a man on e-bay out of california. I think I paid $5. So check there. I'm sure some others who have the vintage machines can recommend someone to you. Good for you.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

Great price! Looks like a very nice machine and in good condition. You do not need to tear it apart - simply clean out the herd of dust bunnies and then oil. Muv has a good Utube video on cleaning the old machines. She is one of our own QB members in good standing and is not out to get paint jobs or re-assemble a disaster or sell you a machine - there is a lot of good info on this board for gently cleaning your machine. You also do not need to remove any varnish on the bottom of the machine. That is good protection from rust. You do need to clean off any varnish that inhibits the machine from moving - keep the moving parts well oiled. There was a good video came up today on oiling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf7DsEE02zM I do not know about that oil he uses - but the oiling info is very good.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:21 PM

great find. you may be able to get your belt from sew classic. it would be worth checking.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 AM

Some folks have all the luck!! GLAD you were one of them!! She's awesome!!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

Oh my!! What a fabulous find! Have fun!
Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
That "tower thing" is part of the tension/threading assembly on these. The thread goes through that tension part on the arm, then through a slot in the top of that tower thing, then down to the take up arm.
I agree, this is the upper thread tension mechanism.

What a fun project/object. Enjoy!
Old 02-01-2012, 03:41 PM

congrats....you can get a new "belt" for her from Lehmans of ohio for around $5.00 and i bet if you play around a little bit with needles you will find one that works...needles specifically for antique sew. machines are very hard to find. cleaning is pretty straight up and easy....kerosene is best for cleaning the underside parts. there should be an oil well near your bobbin-and other areas that will need oiling quite often...the old machines do take a lot of oiling. if you need extra bobbins you should be able to find those through singer, sew.repair shop or as i did, i found two packages of them at 90% off price at hancock fabric. there is also a place online where you can order a reproduced book that is laminated-which will save you old antique book a lot of wear and tear. clean your cabinet and dont worry too much about scratches etc...give it a real good polish and shine with lemon oil and beeswax.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html
Muv has excellent videos for caring for and using your sewing machine. You may want to be careful around the kerosene. If you are a regular on the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop you will meet Cathy. She sells parts and such. Lots of good solid info on there.