Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Loooonnggg over due before and after Singer Redeye make over >

Loooonnggg over due before and after Singer Redeye make over

Loooonnggg over due before and after Singer Redeye make over

Old 12-01-2013, 08:14 AM

I am so glad for his tutorial. I will be in the same place in a few weeks. This White's machine is a bit special to be since I have become very intimately acquainted with its inner workings. These machines truly are a work of art and Glenn is a master at restoring their former glory..
Old 12-01-2013, 11:06 AM

This has encouraged me Not to try refinishing a machine!!!! Oh,,,,,,,,so many steps and to get the mixtures just right, I think I will leave it up to the Professionals shown here!

Great Job.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
This has encouraged me Not to try refinishing a machine!!!! Oh,,,,,,,,so many steps and to get the mixtures just right, I think I will leave it up to the Professionals shown here!

Great Job.
I'm no professional... You know it is a bit scary until you try it. Then it is much easier than you think. Have you ever iced a cake? You just keep going over it until you get it the way you like it. Were you afraid to try quilting because somebody's stuff looked professional? There are machine that can be had for not too much and would be good projects. Here is a link to one of my 'failures': http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...y-t232536.html I'm sure Glenn had to start somewhere, too. The only true failure is the failure to try.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:41 PM

Now, will one of you tell me where I can find the presser foot and holder thing on that machine. I have a Red Eye that looks just like it, and can't sew on it because I can't figure out how to get a presser foot on it--didn't have sense enough to see that it was missing when DH and I drove 60 miles to find it. I was so tickled to see it still there that we just loaded it into the back seat of our Cadillac to bring it home. Who knew?????
Old 12-01-2013, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post

Great Job.
No Jennifer, It is not hard to do and I recommend you try it. If you use this technique it will not harm the machine and can be corrected at anytime. I say go for it.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
Now, will one of you tell me where I can find the presser foot and holder thing on that machine. I have a Red Eye that looks just like it, and can't sew on it because I can't figure out how to get a presser foot on it--didn't have sense enough to see that it was missing when DH and I drove 60 miles to find it. I was so tickled to see it still there that we just loaded it into the back seat of our Cadillac to bring it home. Who knew?????
Show us a pic of the machine foot area so we can help you.
Skip
Old 12-01-2013, 04:03 PM

Very inspiring and great to see that machine brought back to beauty! Thanks to both you & Glen!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:56 AM

Glenn, why did I know when I posted that, that someone would ask me to post a picture. I can't post pictures. But I can say that all I have on my Red Eye is the little two-piece thing on the metal post (with the big screw coming in from the back holding it on); not a foot; then the needle holder in front of it. The number on the machine is G9250301.

My son is supposed to come over sometime today, and if the two of us can figure out how to post a picture, we'll do that for you.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:18 AM

To add to the above posting, I went on ismacs and found out that mine is a Model 28, Dec 30, 1910, and made in St Johns, Canada. And after looking at it pretty carefully, I need to do the cleaning thing to it that this posting started out with originally--plus it smells--my whole house is smelling like an old country house that hasn't been open for a long, long time. The machine is out in my sun room, and I never knew it smelled so bad, I guess because we haven't even opened it up since we brought it in during the summer when the smell wouldn't have been so confined.

Maybe I'll just give up my sewing forum today and go out to my sewing room and finish a quilt that needs to be mailed off to a sewing customer.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:31 PM

JoAnn you may have back clamping feet. The Foot at the top will have a fork so you can attach it to the back of the pressure bar with the screw. The back of the pressure bar will be flat where the foot will attach. Will not be sure until I see a picture.
Skip