The Minimal Sewing Studio

Old 09-18-2014, 06:12 AM

I raise you to a green 210:

But pink? You wanna go there? OK, we'll go there.

Deluxe Atlas Zig-Zag based upon the Selectomatic, made by Brother:

And mine's a true pink, not a mauve like yours! Hah!
Attached Thumbnails brotherselectomatic-800x600-640x480-.jpg   atlaszigzag-800x600-.jpg  
Old 09-18-2014, 06:18 AM

Rodney, I suspect that with Cari and her Brother machines, it gets personal. I'm on thin ice.

(Now watch -- Cari will fire back with a Wizard Deluxe.) Incoming...!
Old 09-18-2014, 10:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
Rodney, I suspect that with Cari and her Brother machines, it gets personal. I'm on thin ice.

(Now watch -- Cari will fire back with a Wizard Deluxe.) Incoming...!
I wish. No, I've only got one left in my arsenal for this duel and it won't beat the Selectomatic in function, but maybe in color.

Cari
Old 09-18-2014, 10:28 AM

Show us what you've got!

(I like your 210, btw. I've always like that model.)
Old 09-18-2014, 10:33 AM
Banned

But pink? You wanna go there? OK, we'll go there.
And mine's a true pink, not a mauve like yours! Hah!
My Selectomatic is NOT mauve! And it's not the washed out light pink the Wizard and Atlas are, it's a true pepto-pink, or call it panther pink as it's about the same shade as my Camaro was, 69 Chrysler Panther Pink. You want to see mauve? How about this:

It's a 1958 Riviera, I think it's the first one. It's almost metallic looking. I have a blue one too.

And how's that light pull for cool. Not. I can't even use this one yet until I get that light fixture replaced. The wires inside are a mess of gooey black tape.

Okay, I bow to your colors, I love, love that green one. That's very uncommon in this part of the country.

But, I still think my Selectomatic is more powerful than you think it is.

Cari
Attached Thumbnails s5031194.jpg   s5031197.jpg  
Old 09-18-2014, 11:47 AM

OK, maybe it's my monitor but your 210 definitely has a blue-ish cast. It's a good color, though and I've seen 210s in the same shade. It's a very handsome machine, I think.

When you refer to your Selectomatic, you're referring to the Pepto Pink 210 in this thread, correct? My green one is the same machine (but I don't see an amperage on the motor's label). The Deluxe Selectomatic (that I showed earlier in the thread) is a 1.2 amp but those amps are distributed over far more mechanisms than in the Pfaff 30 with 1.4 amps, a straight stitch machine. It's not that I think your Brother isn't powerful for what it is, it's just that by comparison (as much as the 30 straight stitch and the 210 zig-zag can be compared), a higher rated 1.4 amp machine will have more power at the needle than a 1.0 amp.

But the Pfaff and the Brother weren't really in competition for space in my minimal studio. The Pfaff is up against the Singer 201, the 15s, perhaps an Adler straight stitch in my future (working on that) whereas the Brother would be up against 1.2 amp zig-zag Kenmores and I can already tell you which brand's going to win that fight!
Old 09-18-2014, 11:48 AM

Oh, and I like your Riviera. I'll bet it's smooth. I have a Streamliner that does an awesome straight stitch. Noisy, though.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Banned

Oh, and I like your Riviera. I'll bet it's smooth. I have a Streamliner that does an awesome straight stitch. Noisy, though.
It shouldn't be noisy. All my Brother machines are fairly smooth and quiet with the 210 being the quietest, smoothest one but I'll admit that the 210 is the only one I did the full clean-with-alcohol treatment on besides the 160 Cambridge. It was the one that was dirtiest on the inside, and didn't move very freely. Boy, it does now. The Cambridge is another story.
The thing about these machines is the only gear that needs grease is the hook gear. The gears in the top of the machine get oiled. I know it's counter intuitive but if you look at where the oil holes in the top of the machine are, those holes oil the gears.

Cari
Old 09-18-2014, 12:15 PM
Banned

Okay, I get what you're saying about the power going through a straight stitch vs. a zig zag machine.

Cari
Old 09-18-2014, 01:04 PM

That Riviera is coming across as a sort of fuchsia pink on my screen. Looks like a color my daughter would love.
Rodney