Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Missing something simple - skipped stitches >

Missing something simple - skipped stitches

Missing something simple - skipped stitches

Old 05-13-2013, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Joe,

In other words "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
VBG

Cathy
Yep

((The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen it to 10 characters. -- That's stupid. There forum system, now it's longer than 10 characters. ))

Joe
Old 05-13-2013, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
We've got two computers. One my wife had custom built some years ago that's been a problem child since day one. The other a $50.00 used one that's run just fine for over a year now.
We know, or we think we know, what's wrong with the problem child. Just haven't had the money, ambition, time, and desire to fix it all at the same time.

Joe
What do you think is wrong with it? A lot of the fixes are very simple. I have a lot of spare parts...

Cathy, OK - I stole 30 seconds to do a test last night on the machine after working in the yard all weekend. With a stabilizer, it gets rid of 90 - 95% of the tunneling. I think the rest is tension, since there's still a lot of the top thread on the bottom. I hope to get a chance to look at it today or tomorrow. I sure would love a gauge for checking tension like you can get for the long arms. Then, I'd know I was starting out at the right point, instead of "slightly perceptible tension".. with the aches and pains in my shoulders from the yard this weekend, the air has slightly perceptible tension this morning. Guess that winter made me slower and softer than usual.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 05-13-2013 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Added response about tunneling
Old 05-13-2013, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
What do you think is wrong with it? A lot of the fixes are very simple. I have a lot of spare parts...

<snip>
Well, we had three HD failures, then the power source died. Since then we've been told that because we are on dial up and using a modem, use the DVD player a lot ( computer sound system is better than our TV ), that we needed a larger capacity power source.
The one that failed has a max output of 280 watts if I'm reading it correctly. Then we need to test the last allegedly failed HD with the larger power source to see if it will boot up. If not we have a new one that we haven't used yet.

After that we need to test most of it's systems.

The local computer fixit guys charge an arm and a leg and never seem to figure out a permanent fix.

Joe
Old 05-13-2013, 11:17 AM

Tammi,

I went back to post #51 to look at your stitch sample. The reverse side stitches don't look at all that bad, it looks to be mainly a 'tunneling' issue. With ZZ stitches you do not need to always lock the stitches in the middle of the fabric like in straight stitching. The top stitch can be drawn slightly to the reverse side, especially if using a really short stitch length as in satin stitches and decorative stitches.
It sounds to me that you almost have it done, just a tiny bit of tension tweaking left to do.

And rest those over used muscles. Since we aren't getting any younger! Darn it!

Cathy

Cathy, OK - I stole 30 seconds to do a test last night on the machine after working in the yard all weekend. With a stabilizer, it gets rid of 90 - 95% of the tunneling. I think the rest is tension, since there's still a lot of the top thread on the bottom. I hope to get a chance to look at it today or tomorrow. I sure would love a gauge for checking tension like you can get for the long arms. Then, I'd know I was starting out at the right point, instead of "slightly perceptible tension".. with the aches and pains in my shoulders from the yard this weekend, the air has slightly perceptible tension this morning. Guess that winter made me slower and softer than usual.

Last edited by Mizkaki; 05-13-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:23 AM

OK,.. then you're probably correct. Any reasonably modern system should have about 400w at least. Most of the systems I was building 3 years ago had a minimum of 500w, usually closer to 750W. You never want to be running these PS' at the peak of their abilities. They die faster and become unstable in the meantime. If you want to test the drive, unplug the DVD-Rom, and any other peripherals (flash card reader, etc) and any extraneous USB devices (other than mouse and keyboard). If the drive is still good, it will have enough power with a bare bones system like that. A HD doesn't actually take a lot of power. I suspect though that the PS is unstable, and killing devices. (Or less likely there's a fault with the motherboard - I had a laptop doing that about 8 years ago. It was heat related.) I fail to see what modem is going to do to harm a machine. It may require slightly more power than a network card, but both are drawing similar power (since they're both likely PCI / PCI-E devices.) Sounds like your IT guys are as good as some of the NSOSMG (not-so-OSMG) we hear about.

If the drive spins, I can recover data from it. I might be able to walk you through it via PM. You'd just have to find someone to download and burn some legal software for you (it's a big download is why)
Old 05-13-2013, 11:59 AM

OK,.. then you're probably correct. Any reasonably modern system should have about 400w at least. Most of the systems I was building 3 years ago had a minimum of 500w, usually closer to 750W. You never want to be running these PS' at the peak of their abilities. They die faster and become unstable in the meantime. If you want to test the drive, unplug the DVD-Rom, and any other peripherals (flash card reader, etc) and any extraneous USB devices (other than mouse and keyboard). If the drive is still good, it will have enough power with a bare bones system like that. A HD doesn't actually take a lot of power. I suspect though that the PS is unstable, and killing devices. (Or less likely there's a fault with the motherboard - I had a laptop doing that about 8 years ago. It was heat related.) I fail to see what modem is going to do to harm a machine. It may require slightly more power than a network card, but both are drawing similar power (since they're both likely PCI / PCI-E devices.) Sounds like your IT guys are as good as some of the NSOSMG (not-so-OSMG) we hear about.

If the drive spins, I can recover data from it. I might be able to walk you through it via PM. You'd just have to find someone to download and burn some legal software for you (it's a big download is why)
Allrighty then, we'll find us a much bigger PS and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

Joe
Old 05-13-2013, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Tammi,

I went back to post #51 to look at your stitch sample. The reverse side stitches don't look at all that bad, it looks to be mainly a 'tunneling' issue. With ZZ stitches you do not need to always lock the stitches in the middle of the fabric like in straight stitching. The top stitch can be drawn slightly to the reverse side, especially if using a really short stitch length as in satin stitches and decorative stitches.
It sounds to me that you almost have it done, just a tiny bit of tension tweaking left to do.

And rest those over used muscles. Since we aren't getting any younger! Darn it!

Cathy
I had read that the decorative stitches would lock on the backside somewhat (what an "aha!" moment that was the day I read that. I'd been knocking myself out trying to get it "perfect" before that!), but it seemed excessive, hence why I wanted to tweak it some more. You're right though, the stabilizer makes it look less pronounced.

I'm actually happy that my muscles are sore, believe it or not. It means that they were used this weekend, and if I survive the mutiny they're staging today, I'll be stronger for it. I'm just not really good at slowing down to let them heal, though that seems to be getting easier as I get older, and as my chiropractor keeps telling me to rest, because I keep mangling my rotater cuffs.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Allrighty then, we'll find us a much bigger PS and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

Joe
My pleasure Joe, please let me know if I can help any further.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:14 PM

My pleasure Joe, please let me know if I can help any further.
I'll do it.

Joe