Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Missing something simple - skipped stitches >

Missing something simple - skipped stitches

Missing something simple - skipped stitches

Old 05-10-2013, 04:53 PM

Before you all think she's perfect.. she's still fighting me a little with tension

[ATTACH=CONFIG]412781[/ATTACH]

SS looks pretty good, The chain-stitch looks good, zig zag is not terrible, but for the pucker, even the small attempt I did at FMQ worked not too badly - that's the back you're seeing, a little eyelashing, and top tension a little light. No skipped stitches even there, just long stitches - 3am stitches aren't even for me.) but the decorative stitches are all over the place as far as tension. The test sew looks like it's a bobbin tension too tight, but it's already so very loose, I'm not sure it should be looser. That's tonight's tweak, after I'm finished "work" for the day - recovering someone's harddrive - back your stuff up people!!

ETA, that first set of stitches on the right were before I got the timing right And most weaves and bobs are me, not the machine.
Attached Thumbnails stitches.jpg  

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 05-10-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:55 PM

Tammi,
If we are only talking utility stitches, he is mostly correct. Stitches that have a reverse in their movement (stretch)
can still be off when the ZZ is correct.
The Brother machines from the 70s are usually found with a cracked cam stack. And these will usually sew straight and plain ZZ correctly even with the cack.

Cathy

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Here's a statement I heard from the Singer repairman before they moved East. It always struck me as a little wrong, but not completely, if that makes any sense. "If it straight stitches, and it ZigZags, it HAS to do all of the stitches correctly." I assume that statement means, barring a mechanical failure of the cam systems...

Thoughts?
Old 05-10-2013, 06:01 PM

Tammi,

I noticed that you were having tunneling issues on the underside. Single thickness and thin fabrics usually pucker unless there is stabilizer used. Have you tried a stabilizer and did it help the tension issues?
Cathy

Before you all think she's perfect.. she's still fighting me a little with tension
Old 05-10-2013, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Joe,

If the feed dogs are hitting the rear of the needle plate they are timed too late. There are usually two shafts under the machine that affect the feed dogs.
The shaft that is nearer the front of the machine (under the bed) adjusts the FD front to back movement (called a rocking shaft). Loosen the nut, turn the screw, tighten the nut and recheck the FD position. Plan on doing this several times. What you are trying to do is have the FD come up and just barely clear the front of the slot in the needle plate.needleplate.
The rear (FD lifting) shaft usually adjusts that FD height. Adjust it on the hand wheel end (right). There is a locking nut and screw on the end. Loosen the locking nut slightly and adjust the height by turning the screw. Make sure to tighten securely.
The cam adjustment is the timing adjustment. You shouldn't have to adjust it for a slot clearence problem.

Clearer than mud????
Cathy
Cathy,

I am familiar with the two adjusting screws you mentioned. I'll commit this to memory as my printer is out of ink and work with it tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Joe
Old 05-10-2013, 10:17 PM

Tammi,
If we are only talking utility stitches, he is mostly correct. Stitches that have a reverse in their movement (stretch)
can still be off when the ZZ is correct.
The Brother machines from the 70s are usually found with a cracked cam stack. And these will usually sew straight and plain ZZ correctly even with the cack.

Cathy
Thanks for that clarification. It always seemed like such a generalization that there had to be information missing
I've had a number of those Brothers come through here. I even had one (221 Galaxie) that came through with a gear that looked like it might have been cracked from Day 1. Still made lovely little ducks though.

Tammi,

I noticed that you were having tunneling issues on the underside. Single thickness and thin fabrics usually pucker unless there is stabilizer used. Have you tried a stabilizer and did it help the tension issues?
Cathy
-That's- what it's called? I never could google it because I didn't know what it was called. I didn't try on that particular fabric, because it's what I use for the "nasty thin fabric" test sew. I -think- it's actually old hotel bed sheets. They're really thin. That's the worst tunnelling I've seen out of all of the machines I've tested in a while. I will try with a little stabilizer tomorrow. I'm still trying to recover data from this drive! Ugh! If I leave it too long, it shuts down, so I literally have to watch it.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Cathy,

I am familiar with the two adjusting screws you mentioned. I'll commit this to memory as my printer is out of ink and work with it tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Joe
Joe, you need a pdf creator / writer program. Then you could just save a copy onto the computer and open it whenever you needed. But back it up to a flash drive too.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:09 AM

Joe, you need a pdf creator / writer program. Then you could just save a copy onto the computer and open it whenever you needed. But back it up to a flash drive too.
Tammi,

I can save the information you gave me in Word or Notepad, I just need to print it out so I can take it to the machines where I work on them.
Machines are in the basement work shop, computer is upstairs. Just need some ink.

Joe
Old 05-11-2013, 02:28 AM
Power Poster

Tammi,

I can save the information you gave me in Word or Notepad, I just need to print it out so I can take it to the machines where I work on them.
Machines are in the basement work shop, computer is upstairs. Just need some ink.

Joe
I'm in the same boat - my shop doesn't have a computer anywhere near...
Old 05-11-2013, 08:00 AM

Tammi,

That's interesting. I have not seen the cracked gears on those Brothers, only the cracked cam stack. But then I guess I stopped looking at the machine after seeing the cracked cam stack. Especially since there are no cam stacks available making the machine unfixable.

Cathy

[QUOTE=ArchaicArcane;6057166 I've had a number of those Brothers come through here. I even had one (221 Galaxie) that came through with a gear that looked like it might have been cracked from Day 1. Still made lovely little ducks though. [/QUOTE]
Old 05-11-2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I'm in the same boat - my shop doesn't have a computer anywhere near...
Tammi,

Joe
Oh,.. I guess this is where I'm spoiled by being a computer geek. I always have old hardware lying around, so I just stuck a machine in the sewing room. I really have to stop calling it that. It's a shop. I can't sew in it anymore, there's no room.

If shipping wasn't so expensive, I'd just send you guys each a machine. Most of this will go to the electronics recycle if I can ever get around to it.