Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Missing something simple - skipped stitches >

Missing something simple - skipped stitches

Missing something simple - skipped stitches

Old 05-10-2013, 02:56 PM

If you get to the point of giving up on this prima donna......pack her up and ship to me. I'll make her behave. (says me with a wicked grin).

Cathy

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Before I forget,... this is the Prima Donna we've been discussing.
All cleaned up, lovely tension eh? She's just waiting on the new spool pins now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]412763[/ATTACH]
Old 05-10-2013, 03:51 PM

Joe, Try this (I don't know where it came from, so I'm attaching the copy from my harddrive)

Page 9 in the original numbering of the pages.
Thanks for the .pdf. I already have it and if you'll look close all the pictures show the later 66s with the timing and reference marks.

Joe
Old 05-10-2013, 04:02 PM

We've kind of veered off topic a bit but I have one more question.

You mentioned timing the feed dogs.

I have one early 66, probably a 66-1, that the up and down timing seems to be good. It sews without problems, but the feed dogs seem to be positioned too far to the rear as they make their fore and aft motion. I don't want to disturb the way it sews, but I'm concerned they might be hitting the back of the needle plate.
There is another complication in that the machine has one of those Revco Reverser kits installed and I do not know if that has any effect on it or not.

When you say to adjust the feed dogs at the eccentric cam on the main shaft that kind of scares me.
I'm really afraid of messing up the existing timing.

Remember I've got that Edison 15 clone I'm still messing with. It's closer now, but still not really right. I've had that one loose and all it's done is cause me grief.

Joe
Old 05-10-2013, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
If the feed dog timing is off set it now. Put the stitch length to it's longest setting. The needle should enter the fabric just as the teeth drop below the needleplate.
All the rest is in the order listed in the adjuster's manual, but what about feed dog height? Would you want to know that they were set at the right height before setting the timing? In theory, if they were too high for instance, they would be "up" a little longer, or is it not noticeable enough? I haven't had to time the dogs any of the time I've set the height, so I hadn't noticed.

Tammi,

That is a good question.
For an exact answer I will have to think about it.
Quick answer: The instructions that I just gave Joe are for the tipical straight stitch machine. Zigzags have a timing error built in that shows up with every swing of the needle. This means that one needs to 'fudge' the .093" slightly (advance or retard the tip) to accommodate this error. In other words, the .093" is a starting point.
I have never had any timing problems with the 401 series of machines. Possibly we are seeing that the timing on your machines has been changes over the years by a local 'repairman' that didn't fully understand timing.

Cathy
Ok,.. this I get. And I've met a couple of the repairmen around here too. I can see how they might not fully get the timing. Some of them don't rebuild tension either. I know that there were at least 2 different repairmen involved with these machines (repair stickers from different shops )

I guess in a perfect world, I should re-time all of these properly, eh?

Here's a statement I heard from the Singer repairman before they moved East. It always struck me as a little wrong, but not completely, if that makes any sense. "If it straight stitches, and it ZigZags, it HAS to do all of the stitches correctly." I assume that statement means, barring a mechanical failure of the cam systems...

Thoughts?
Old 05-10-2013, 04:24 PM

If you get to the point of giving up on this prima donna......pack her up and ship to me. I'll make her behave. (says me with a wicked grin).

Cathy
Earlier this week, I would have been PMing you with a tracking number!!

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Thanks for the .pdf. I already have it and if you'll look close all the pictures show the later 66s with the timing and reference marks.

Joe
You're right, sorry, I glanced at it, and saw the needle all the way up part and thought it might offer a clue.
Needlebar height is determined by relationship to the hook, so the slant manual gives a clue again: 1/64th above the eye when it's at the timing line for the hook to be at the middle of the scarf. (page 44)
I couldn't figure out how to get a feeler gauge in there the other night, so I eyeballed it.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
We've kind of veered off topic a bit but I have one more question.
You're kidding right? We rarely stay on topic here. That's how we learn so much, especially when people like Cathy are willing to answer the questions we come up with. I like it this way.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:30 PM

Before I forget,... this is the Prima Donna we've been discussing.
All cleaned up, lovely tension eh? She's just waiting on the new spool pins now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]412763[/ATTACH]
My wife says: WOW, I want one like that to play with!

Joe
Old 05-10-2013, 04:38 PM

Joe,

If the feed dogs are hitting the rear of the needle plate they are timed too late. There are usually two shafts under the machine that affect the feed dogs.
The shaft that is nearer the front of the machine (under the bed) adjusts the FD front to back movement (called a rocking shaft). Loosen the nut, turn the screw, tighten the nut and recheck the FD position. Plan on doing this several times. What you are trying to do is have the FD come up and just barely clear the front of the slot in the needle plate.needleplate.
The rear (FD lifting) shaft usually adjusts that FD height. Adjust it on the hand wheel end (right). There is a locking nut and screw on the end. Loosen the locking nut slightly and adjust the height by turning the screw. Make sure to tighten securely.
The cam adjustment is the timing adjustment. You shouldn't have to adjust it for a slot clearence problem.

Clearer than mud????
Cathy

Last edited by Mizkaki; 05-10-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:41 PM

LOL! So when I have another purge, I should be sending some of these machines south, eh?

I've noticed when they appear on goodwill's auction site that people pounce on them really quickly. I get the impression that not a lot of the open arms ended up in the States. I don't think they were common here either, which is why I grabbed it when I saw it even though I had one already. I"m glad I did too, because a lot of people would ditch a machine that was skipping stitches. At least, when I'm finished with it, it can go anywhere and be appreciated, instead of dumped somewhere because it doesn't sew.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:50 PM

Tammi,

It shouldn't make any difference as far as skipping stitches (which is what we were originally discussing).
If the height of the dogs is really off, yes, I'd adjust their height first.

Cathy

All the rest is in the order listed in the adjuster's manual, but what about feed dog height? Would you want to know that they were set at the right height before setting the timing? In theory, if they were too high for instance, they would be "up" a little longer, or is it not noticeable enough? I haven't had to time the dogs any of the time I've set the height, so I hadn't noticed.