Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Missing something simple - skipped stitches >

Missing something simple - skipped stitches

Missing something simple - skipped stitches

Old 05-11-2013, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Tammi,

That's interesting. I have not seen the cracked gears on those Brothers, only the cracked cam stack. But then I guess I stopped looking at the machine after seeing the cracked cam stack. Especially since there are no cam stacks available making the machine unfixable.

Cathy
I guess I explained it wrong. There's a gear right on the end of the camstack. That's the one that was riveted onto the stack in the case of the Galaxie, it was cracked at both rivets, but didn't render the machine useless. I gave it to a lady who wanted a cheap machine for her kids so they'd stay off hers. I showed her the crack, said it may have been there all along, and showed her the ducks, and she was tickled pink, her 7 year old loved it.

I have another Brother here with the same cracked plastic gear attached to the metal cams.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

ARGH - I worked on a Japanese machine for a while today - store branded - had to be from the 80s. I got it all cleaned up - plastic gears were intact - BUT the needle is so out of time it isn't funny. I'm not sure how to do anything with a free arm - you bet I'm bummed out.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:54 PM

Timing a freearm is pretty much the same as a flatbed. Just more screws to remove to get at it usually, and sometimes a few things bolt on a little differently, but the basics are the same. For some reason, I've timed more freearms than flatbeds.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:26 PM

Tammi,

You didn't explain it wrong. I understood you.
It's just that I have never noticed the gear being cracked. I guess that I never really looked at the cam stack gear after seeing the crack going through the cam stack itself. A crack in the gear might not make the machine useless, but one through the cam stack definitely makes the deco and ZZ stitches useless.
Cathy

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I guess I explained it wrong. There's a gear right on the end of the camstack. That's the one that was riveted onto the stack in the case of the Galaxie, it was cracked at both rivets, but didn't render the machine useless. I gave it to a lady who wanted a cheap machine for her kids so they'd stay off hers. I showed her the crack, said it may have been there all along, and showed her the ducks, and she was tickled pink, her 7 year old loved it.

I have another Brother here with the same cracked plastic gear attached to the metal cams.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Tammi,

You didn't explain it wrong. I understood you.
It's just that I have never noticed the gear being cracked. I guess that I never really looked at the cam stack gear after seeing the crack going through the cam stack itself. A crack in the gear might not make the machine useless, but one through the cam stack definitely makes the deco and ZZ stitches useless.
Cathy
Gotcha I started checking gears because some of the Brothers I was getting had that plastic or nylon gear, and metal cams. Sure enough, the gear was broken. I was really surprised when the Galaxie sewed, so you're right the gear doesn't necessarily mean death for the machine. I'm not sure about this one though. Of course I found the crack after I'd cleaned up the outside and oiled part of the machine. I really have to start checking better first. I saw that crack, at the end of a frustrating day ( I think it was the first one I'd stated work on the 431, and decided to take a break and work on some instant gratification for a little bit. That backfired. ) and just threw my hands up in disgust and walked away.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]413049[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails obrother.jpg  
Old 05-12-2013, 10:13 AM

Tammi,

Is that a metal cam stack? If so, it's too bad that they mated it with a plastic gear.
That is quite a large crack. I bet it will just get bigger with usage. If you listen closely when turning the machine by hand I'll bet you can actually hear every time the smaller gear passes that crack on that larger gear. The teeth from the smaller one will probably slightly open up the crack with each pass, possibly making a tiny popping sound.

Cathy

Gotcha I started checking gears because some of the Brothers I was getting had that plastic or nylon gear, and metal cams. Sure enough, the gear was broken. I was really surprised when the Galaxie sewed, so you're right the gear doesn't necessarily mean death for the machine. I'm not sure about this one though. Of course I found the crack after I'd cleaned up the outside and oiled part of the machine. I really have to start checking better first. I saw that crack, at the end of a frustrating day ( I think it was the first one I'd stated work on the 431, and decided to take a break and work on some instant gratification for a little bit. That backfired. ) and just threw my hands up in disgust and walked away.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:33 AM

Yeah, it's metal,... dumb combination, eh? The rest of the machine is relatively solid too. The crack is actually only about big enough to slip the tip of a fingernail in. The picture makes it look worse than it is. It looks similar to the crack that the Galaxie had. It's like they tightened the rivets a tiny bit too tight and cracked it. The two cracks on the cam gear on the Bernina 730 record I have here are way worse, especially since the broken part separated and tried to come off the cam altogether when I was turning things a little back and forward to get oil into places to free up the rest of the machine to see if it's worth saving. LOL! Peeled up like the rind of an orange.

The sound is what I think of as a small "thump" accompanied by ever so slightly harder turning. But I could see how it could be a pop too.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Cathy,

I am familiar with the two adjusting screws you mentioned. I'll commit this to memory as my printer is out of ink and work with it tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Joe
Double checked the feed dog timing. A bit closer to the back than to the front but not hitting the neeldle plate.
Adjusted the position anyway and it's now centered front to back. Could not get it any more to the front. There seems to be a rocker point on the eccentric cam that puts it where it is. Any more to either side and it moves to the rear.
So, since it sews nicely, I'll consider it a leaver-right for now.

Joe
Old 05-12-2013, 12:45 PM

Oh,.. I guess this is where I'm spoiled by being a computer geek. I always have old hardware lying around, so I just stuck a machine in the sewing room. I really have to stop calling it that. It's a shop. I can't sew in it anymore, there's no room.

If shipping wasn't so expensive, I'd just send you guys each a machine. Most of this will go to the electronics recycle if I can ever get around to it.
We've got two computers. One my wife had custom built some years ago that's been a problem child since day one. The other a $50.00 used one that's run just fine for over a year now.
We know, or we think we know, what's wrong with the problem child. Just haven't had the money, ambition, time, and desire to fix it all at the same time.

Joe
Old 05-12-2013, 06:08 PM

Joe,

In other words "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
VBG

Cathy

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Double checked the feed dog timing. A bit closer to the back than to the front but not hitting the neeldle plate.
Adjusted the position anyway and it's now centered front to back. Could not get it any more to the front. There seems to be a rocker point on the eccentric cam that puts it where it is. Any more to either side and it moves to the rear.
So, since it sews nicely, I'll consider it a leaver-right for now.

Joe