Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Pics of the Fiddlehead Singer I saw... >

Pics of the Fiddlehead Singer I saw...

Pics of the Fiddlehead Singer I saw...

Old 02-05-2014, 01:21 PM

Red face Pics of the Fiddlehead Singer I saw...

I think I finally figured out how to download pictures from my cell phone to the computer. But if they don't show up...I will try again later when my son is home.
This is a very worn machine and cabinet from the late 1800's...Pretty sure all the parts are there. I know the bobbin case and the stitch length selector are there...couldn't see from photo if the tension assembly is there. It does a chain stitch.
Cabinet has very little finish left.
The store owner is not planning on servicing the Fiddlehead...he will have it in the front window on display. I did ask if it was for sale...he laughed that anyone would want this one. But it is for sale if someone wants it....

Shoot...only 1 of 4 will post. anyone know how to shrink the volume of a picture from cell phone? They are showing up as over 200mg.
Attached Thumbnails img_0047.jpg  
Old 02-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Banned

If it is an Android phone (Not an Apple product) then you can download Photoshop for free and it can resize pictures.

I have my phone set up to automatically sync my photos to Dropbox (online cloud storage for free) and then edit them with my usual program on the PC.(Irfanview, also free) it is easier that way for me.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
The store owner is not planning on servicing the Fiddlehead
Hi Susie, at the risk of becoming unpopular, I have to say this: It's not a fiddlehead or a fiddle head. The head is the part that is not shaped like a fiddle, the base is the part that is.

Your picture is that of a fiddle base sewing machine. Model 12 by the look of it.

The decals might not be worn off, incidentally. I have a Tiffany 27 (1901) that came to me looking a lot like this one. After quite a lot of cleaning with SM oil, the decals revealed themselves and she looked lovelier than she probably has in more than half a century. My fingers are crossed that yours may be the same and there's a pretty picture hiding behind some worn-on grime.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:57 PM

Mike, Thank you for the info. I had only heard of them called fiddle heads...but you are really right. I will look into rubbing a bit of the grime off with some sewing machine oil and a soft rag when I go to pick up my machines that are in for service. I'll pick a spot that won't show... Owner will let me clean to my heart's content....
Old 02-05-2014, 10:39 PM

Mike, Thank you for the info. I had only heard of them called fiddle heads...but you are really right. I will look into rubbing a bit of the grime off with some sewing machine oil and a soft rag when I go to pick up my machines that are in for service. I'll pick a spot that won't show... Owner will let me clean to my heart's content....
I'm sorry Susie. I thought you were buying it. Silly me, not reading it all.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:33 AM

Mike,
I would LOVE to have another treadle machine....especially one like this...but, this is a small house and I already have 2 treadles plus 11 other machines. (please don't tell hubby that number...he thinks that there are only 5 machines...hehe)
Old 02-06-2014, 01:10 PM

Mike,
I would LOVE to have another treadle machine....especially one like this...but, this is a small house and I already have 2 treadles plus 11 other machines. (please don't tell hubby that number...he thinks that there are only 5 machines...hehe)
I know exactly what you mean! I have around 20 right now (most in the shed), but thankfully only two treadles, but another is industrial with full bench. That'd be worth at least a treadle, size-wise.
What are your treadles?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:43 PM

I have a singer 66 and a singer with the bullet bobbin ...the designs are not coming to mind right now....just finished babysitting my 18month old granddaughter...and she takes a lot out of me. One of mine is a Juki TL-98...and she is set up on an old dining room table...so it takes the room of an industrial.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:18 AM

I have a singer 66 and a singer with the bullet bobbin ...the designs are not coming to mind right now....just finished babysitting my 18month old granddaughter...and she takes a lot out of me. One of mine is a Juki TL-98...and she is set up on an old dining room table...so it takes the room of an industrial.
The VS2 has a fiddle base (see my avatar) and is equivalent to your "bullet bobbin" machine (I assume it's a Singer 27). These are the same machines, except for a few cosmetic differences. You could call it an upgrade and replace your 27 with a VS2: Very good looking fiddle base and makes a really lovely stitch. The cabinet is usually a coffin top, too. If you Google it you'll just want one .
I had to get rid of my 66 treadle. Beautiful machine but since it's a rotating hook, I replaced it with a portable 201 (the ultimate rotating hook machine) then again with a later aluminium version.
Here is my VS2:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]460935[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails with_lid_sm.jpg