Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Charlee 07-21-2012 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by sew wishful (Post 5382590)
Charlee, glad you had fun if not productive. I'm always glad to be home from trips. Except when I have to be back to work the next day. I need home time. Remember I said my next machine would be a 301?? NOT!! Got another one coming that's I think a 306. Belonged to my friends mom who knew my mom and neighbors that I grew up living around. It will stay with me for a long time. I do have some I'd like to sell, tho, not any of the treadle/cabinet machines. So getting rid of a few won't give me any more room really. Oh, well...that's the ode of the keeper of the old girls. LOL!

Ah!! See if you can find yourself a 301 to go with the 306! :) That 306 is going to be a special machine to "have and hold"!! I have a couple like that...not directly family machines, but still connected with memories!

miriam 07-21-2012 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5382618)
Ah!! See if you can find yourself a 301 to go with the 306! :) That 306 is going to be a special machine to "have and hold"!! I have a couple like that...not directly family machines, but still connected with memories!

Uh, Charlee, it is very easy to create a few memories. It would be a hard call 301 or 306 - the 306 does tricky stitches if you have disks. 301 is a bit lighter weight...

Charlee 07-21-2012 12:38 PM

Miriam, that's true in most cases! :) Most of my machines only have the aquisition memories attached tho... childhood memories are much more special. None of my grandkids live close enough for me to sew with them, so those kinds of memories are out for me...

miriam 07-21-2012 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5382731)
Miriam, that's true in most cases! :) Most of my machines only have the aquisition memories attached tho... childhood memories are much more special. None of my grandkids live close enough for me to sew with them, so those kinds of memories are out for me...

We got out a Singer 99 - cleaned and oiled it with the 7 year old. She loved helping. I let her use the lint brush. Then I let her put one drop of oil on anything that moved. She had a blast. Then we put a balance wheel off a 66 on there and a hand crank. Kept the 5 year old very busy while we cleaned and oiled up another Singer 99. Miss M loves to clean machines. She comes to the right place... I'm thinking she will have some cool memories.

Even Wilbur got in the act. I have some short stubby screwdrivers he was looking at pretty intensely... then he would giggle - hint hint Grandma... This is the kid that wears a Bob the Builder hat anywhere he is allowed... (I found a Bob the Builder shirt for his next Birthday.) He's a huge fan. Tools fascinate him. He comes to the right place. I sent him outside. My tools are my tools - even the cute screwdrivers - ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

miriam 07-21-2012 01:07 PM

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/atq/3148767176.html
anybody live near where ever that one is?

Phyllis nm 07-21-2012 01:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Glad to hear you are back Billy, and just in time.

A friend gave this to me today. What is it? And what size needle does it take if I can tighten every thing up that is not frozen. It has more rust than paint. It is heavy for the size. The base is 8 ¼ x 13 ¼ .the teeth on hand crank wheel is not tight, the bobbin winder is very loose also. [ATTACH=CONFIG]350497[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]350498[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]350499[/ATTACH]

Charlee 07-21-2012 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5382759)
We got out a Singer 99 - cleaned and oiled it with the 7 year old. She loved helping. I let her use the lint brush. Then I let her put one drop of oil on anything that moved. She had a blast. Then we put a balance wheel off a 66 on there and a hand crank. Kept the 5 year old very busy while we cleaned and oiled up another Singer 99. Miss M loves to clean machines. She comes to the right place... I'm thinking she will have some cool memories.

Even Wilbur got in the act. I have some short stubby screwdrivers he was looking at pretty intensely... then he would giggle - hint hint Grandma... This is the kid that wears a Bob the Builder hat anywhere he is allowed... (I found a Bob the Builder shirt for his next Birthday.) He's a huge fan. Tools fascinate him. He comes to the right place. I sent him outside. My tools are my tools - even the cute screwdrivers - ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Aw...c'mon Grandma! It's just a LITTLE screwdriver...he'll buy you a new one when he grows up!! :D

Bennett 07-21-2012 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan (Post 5375226)
I have a question regarding rust and its many forms. When working on old houses and their various bits of vintage hardware (most were not replaceable) I would boil the rusty metal bits in an old dedicated pot. Hinges, latches, and doorknobs/parts all went in the pan for a good long water boil. It was also great for removing old paint from the parts without dust (think lead) or much effort.

I don't know about rust, but I've boiled parts to remove paint (baking soda in the water, enamel or Corning glass pot that you don't use for food). It does soften up the paint on old metal parts. Messy and kind of time consuming, but it worked on lots of door knob hardware and hinges that had been painted over many, many times. I just had to be careful once I started to get down to metal that it didn't take of the original "bronze" finish.

Glenn 07-21-2012 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5382759)

Come on Miriam buy him a set of screw drivers. Mean ole grandma. He just wants to be like you and that is a good thing.

Bennett 07-21-2012 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor (Post 5379965)
After 50 days in the hospital, DH is finally home. He is in remission from leukemia right now, and hopefully will stay that way. I am extra busy now trying to fatten him up. (40 pounds loss in 50 days takes a toll on a body, Plus chemo) Thanks for all your prayers, well wishes and notes. They mean a lot. Still won't be on much, but will be reading.

Texas Jan

Glad to hear things are improving!