Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Honchey 08-24-2010 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by laura59
Okay, the lady e-mailed me that the machine is a 241-3. Serial Number: AG451979. Not sure what needles this one will take. Can you sew upholstery fabric, like for cars using this machine. We have a 1948 Dodge that we are restoring and I want to do the upholstery. Will this machine do that? Also, would $250 be out of line for this machine? Have to go look at it tomorrow, if it will work for what I want to do. Thanks.

Take a sample of the type of fabric you'll be working on to sew. That includes the thread. That's the only way you'll know if it will do what you want. If the owners refuses to let you sew on it--I would walk away from it.

laura59 08-24-2010 07:04 AM

That's a good idea, except that I don't have the fabric yet. Didn't want to get any until I got a machine. Can't get any today. Dh has gone over by a df and when he gets back, I have to be ready to leave for our car club. Not sure what to do.

Weedwoman 08-24-2010 07:24 AM

(repeat)Looked at a really old White treadle yesterday. Would take alot of work but all the pieces are there and it's in it's cabinet. They are asking $100.00, is it worth it. sorry, no pics.

Annaquilts 08-24-2010 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
(repeat)Looked at a really old White treadle yesterday. Would take alot of work but all the pieces are there and it's in it's cabinet. They are asking $100.00, is it worth it. sorry, no pics.

For me probably not because I see White treadles in prisitine conditions with all the attachments on Craigs List for around the same price.

quilt addict 08-24-2010 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman

I am with Anna and think that is too much unless it is some special model and the age. I got one in Nebraska this year in fair condition with cabinet for $20.

I would offer less and then see what they say. But in the end it is up to what it is worth to you. :D

grannysewer 08-24-2010 08:25 AM

Do White machines take a special needle? A friend has her mother's and would like to try to sew on it.

leaha 08-24-2010 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher

Originally Posted by leaha

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by leaha
my lttle cuties, Wilcox & Gibbs

Leaha 3 Wilcox and Gibbs kids machines! Geeze, I am jealous! I found a couple of those little cuties at an Antique Eporium here and they wanted an arm and 1/2 a leg for them!

Nancy

LOL these were not kids machines, they were comercial sewing machines used to make cloths back in 1890s with a chain stitch. Ever read or hear the saying about store bought cloths,"pull one thread and it comes apart"? well this is where it came from, these type of machines.

No they are not toys. We have 3 machines that chain stitch. Have tried them and they work and just like you said pull the thread and it all comes undone.

sewing with Nancy had a program with a gal who used her W&G to emblish her fan blocks, she used a thick thread and had the chain stich on the front of the block, was really nice! just an idea for those who use their machines.

Lostn51 08-24-2010 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
All, here is my latest almost finish project using Billy's tutorial. I need to do the electrical before I can try it. I will do a seperate post on that subject.

What I learned. You can rub the shellac off with the goop. I stayed away from the decals so they are okay. But the bed looks bad with the remnants of the shellac. That is okay with me as not sure that I will keep this one....like Billy says, it has one of those tails. ;-)

You did a really nice job on the machine Lisa!!! Sometimes the shellac is already so deteriorated that when you do clean the machine with the Goop or Go Jo it will take it right off. Funny that you an I both use the goop brand....Hmmmmmmm :-D

Billy

Crossstitcher 08-24-2010 10:03 AM

Thought you might like to see another pretty machine for sale on e bay. http://cgi.ebay.com/1917-SINGER-MODE...efaultDomain_0

Lostn51 08-24-2010 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Thought you might like to see another pretty machine for sale on e bay. http://cgi.ebay.com/1917-SINGER-MODE...efaultDomain_0

Yep I know the seller and he is really from Cut and Shoot, Texas!

And that is the real deal there all original with nothing altered. He shipped container loads of machines from Europe where he was stationed for years. He is the one that has the auction up for 3000+ machines in the one lot that has never sold. I have never bought anything he has but I know a few folks that have. And he is a real stand up guy.

Billy